The Magnum Mage

FJGA

Re: The Magnum Mage

Hmm, well, not to be snarky-sounding or anything, but he's just not that interesting to me. To be honest, Vibora Bay doesn't do anything for me as a whole, either. I mean, it's not bad but nothing in it clicks for me and makes me want to incorporate it into my campaign.

OTOH, if it turns out he's the one who's going to put a bullet between the eyes of ol Takophanes, or kill himself stopping some near-invincible mystic threat like Tyranonn, then that'd add a lot more spice to the guy. That said, I like it better when the special destinies are reserved for PCs. That's who I'm going to craft stories around, after all.

Well, I'm a fan of many things about Vibora Bay. Calliburn himself is an interesting design, low powered enough that even 350 point characters should well outshine him in their areas of specialization, but covering a very wide spectrum of skills and powers. I'd say his destiny is to serve as the catalyst that allows the PCs to stop the world ending plot of Vibora's hidden half angel, possibly dying in the process. This would parallel John Constantine's destiny in his original run as a backup character in Swamp Thing, organizing the forces that stopped the final apocalypse at the cost of the lives of six of his friends and allies.

Well' date=' I'm a fan of many things about Vibora Bay. Calliburn himself is an interesting design, low powered enough that even 350 point characters should well outshine him in their areas of specialization, but covering a very wide spectrum of skills and powers. [/quote']

Truly.

In the VB campaign I play it, he is my character's mystic teacher/advisor. The GM has a sorcerer surpreme (a younger one, with vast magical powers, but not a whole lot of knowledge - he keeps it secret that he is the archmage) that she also dates. I paid a lot for contacts for that cahracter.

He is greatly used as a teacher, contact, and informant. I personally really liked the character.

I'm quite the fan of Vibora Bay. I find it to me a more flavorful setting than Millennium City, with a unique "supermagic" motif that sets it apart from other published supers city settings. Caliburn-as-mentor is an example of what someone on these boards commented about the book (can't recall who at the moment, sorry :o ): the supporting cast of the book is designed to be a supporting cast, useful for PCs to draw on for help but not so powerful as to completely outshine them.

I once suggested a plot to run Caliburn's "destiny" and the "big secret" of VB as an adventure while keeping the PCs as the focus of the action. Note that this post is rife with SPOILERS: http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?p=985807

I'm with Superskrull; not a fan of Vibora Bay at all and I basically don't use any of it as anything more than a passing reference.

I mean, Vibora Bay exists, but I don't commit to anything else. If I ever had to use it, I'd almost certainly use 95% of my own material instead.

I'm quite the fan of Vibora Bay. I find it to me a more flavorful setting than Millennium City' date=' with a unique "supermagic" motif that sets it apart from other published supers city settings.

I gotta agree with you- Vibora Bay seems tailor made for the power levels that my group's games are at. It's up there with Hudson City for me.

Caliburn's great destiny is NOT to get the next Archmage,

That's MY character, Lady Silver!

"Who am I who would stand against you? I am heir to Thanoro Azoic's office, wielder of Luathon's Lights, and defender of this realm. I am Earth's Archmage and *you*, foul creature, are not welcomed here!"

Lady Silver responding to Tyrannon

:)