Diagnostics

feralucce

The power that I want to build is this

The character, at a glance, can tell what is wrong with a machine - OR - if the machine is functional, I want to be able to completely understand the machine, and how it functions.

I have a couple ideas... but I would like your input... often, you guys see things that I completely miss.

Re: Diagnostics

The character, at a glance, can tell what is wrong with a machine - OR - if the machine is functional, I want to be able to completely understand the machine, and how it functions.

I have a couple ideas... but I would like your input... often, you guys see things that I completely miss.

Sounds like a Detect Machine with the Analyze adder.

How's this?

26 I can figure out how ANY machine works!: Detect A Large Class Of Things (Inner workings of machines) 11- (Sight Group), Discriminatory, Analyze, Microscopic: x10, Rapid: x10 - END=0

• 2 weeks later...

If the ability was built without microscopic the character would have problems with a wristwatch.

If using a normal skill even with extreme (+10 or more) bonuses to the roll the character would normally need proper tools and time to take apart and examine the machine.

Microscopic Diagnostics

I can see your argument for Microscopic, but I would not require it. The Detect is built as an understanding. I do not think the understanding needs to be at the Microscopic level.

Could you buy Penalty Skill Levels for Mechanics, Only vs. Penalties for Stepping Down the Time Chart?

Re: Microscopic Diagnostics

I can see your argument for Microscopic, but I would not require it. The Detect is built as an understanding. I do not think the understanding needs to be at the Microscopic level.

Could you buy Penalty Skill Levels for Mechanics, Only vs. Penalties for Stepping Down the Time Chart?

Sure. Everything could be accomplished via a skill only approach but who did the character learn the skill from? It's still a learned Skill.

The Detect functions like the Talent Lightning Calculator. The character with the Detect would probably still need the mechanics or other appropriate skill if he wanted to repair or modify the device in question. The Detect would function as a skill modifier.

I agree, Microscopic isn't really necessary. Discriminatory and analyze should cover it. After all, the character can't actually perceive the malfunctioning area, or all of the functioning mechanisms that make it work... he is just aware of end result.