Pole vaulting

BenKimball

I'm building a martial artist for one of my players. The character's primary weapon is a staff. I've built the staff as a multipower, after deciding that the character can use it in a number of ways. One of these is a "Staff Vault," in which the character can leap great distances using the staff to vault. I decided to build this as Leaping 10".

The question is, what power limitation should I use to represent the fact that he needs a running start, in his intended direction of travel, to use his leaping? I've heard that using more than one movement type in a Phase is forbidden, but in this case it seems natural. Any suggestions? I'd been thinking of Extra Time (Full Phase) (-1/2) SFX: Requires half-phase run action before use.

Thanks!

Ben

There are a couple of ways to do this.

Your solution of using Extra time with the SFX of a half move is a good one.

Try this as well:

Link the Leaping to the characters normal running. Use the version of Link where the Primary power (running) can be used without the Secondary power (Leaping) but the secondary power cannot be used without the Primary power.

What this does, is it allows the use of Running and Leaping (effectively) simultaneously, giving the character the ability to use a full or half run and a full leap in the same phase.

Don't worry so much about the rules if they say two modes of movement can't be used in the same phase...if this is the kind of construction you want the power to have, do it. The rules are guidelines, not immutable laws. Do with them as you will!

Page 336 of FREd, 8 principles for interpreting and applying the HERO System rules, number 4:

Just because something is explicitly forbidden doesn't mean you can't do it (with the GM's permission).

Since you are the GM (if I read it right), don't even start worrying about it. If you don't like a rule, bend or break it - just keep in mind that this shouldn't unbalance the campaign. Pick the solution you prefer - and don't get mad about "making it right".

Originally posted by Hitchhiker

Page 336 of FREd, 8 principles for interpreting and applying the HERO System rules, number 4:

Just because something is explicitly forbidden doesn't mean you can't do it (with the GM's permission).

Since you are the GM (if I read it right), don't even start worrying about it. If you don't like a rule, bend or break it - just keep in mind that this shouldn't unbalance the campaign. Pick the solution you prefer - and don't get mad about "making it right".

Exactly what I'm talking about Hitcher!

And I don't think being able to use a full run and then a leap would unbalance a campaign, especially if the running is the normal (6" to 10") and the leaping is a mere 10".

Besides, for polevaulting, it makes perfect sense...

Originally posted by RadeFox

Don't forget to add in the occasional attack of CLOWN....they could target bananna peels right where he is going to place his staff butt down for a vault....super leap becomes Super Fun Slide! :P

Please, don't give them ideas. Six monts ago, I was complaining to Merry Andrew about Governor Davis, and now look at California.

Ben, if the approach above works for you, great; but I do want to point out that leaping for maximum distance requires a short running start already. Unless you want the character to have to really run a significant distance to use the vaulting pole, I'd suggest a -1/4 Lim, "Can only use for running leaps," reflecting that it wouldn't work for standing leaps.

But by all means, go with what works for your concept. :)