CHAR: Tempest

Weldun

[b]Tempest - Alex Lemick, Robin Harrington.[/b]

[b][u]VAL[/u]   [u]CHA[/u]   [u]Cost[/u]   [u]Total[/u]   [u]Roll[/u]      [u]Notes[/u][/b]
  50    STR     40   50      19-       HTH Damage 10d6  END [2]
  23    DEX     39   23      14-       OCV 8 DCV 8
  30    CON     40   30      15-
  13    BODY    6   13      12-
  13    INT     3   13      12-       PER Roll 12-
  14    EGO     8   14      12-       ECV: 5
  20    PRE     10   20      13-       PRE Attack: 4d6
  14    COM     2   14      12-
  30    PD      5   30             30 PD (15 rPD)
  30    ED      9   30             30 ED (15 rED)
  5    SPD     17   5                 Phases:  3, 5, 8, 10, 12
  16    REC     0   16
  60    END     0   60
  60    STUN    7   60
  6    RUN      0   6"                END [1]
  2    SWIM     0   2"                END [1]
  10    LEAP     0   10"                10" forward, 5" upward

[b]CHA Cost: 186[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]POWERS[/u][/b]
  12     [b][i]Casual Strength[/i][/b]: Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (12 Active Points) applied to STR - END=
  45     [b][i]Supertough Skin[/i][/b]: Armor (15 PD/15 ED) - END=0
  12     [b][i]Flight[/i][/b]: Flight 6" - END=1
  5     [b][i]Polarized Vision[/i][/b]: Sight Group Flash Defense (5 points) - END=0
  33     [b][i]Lightning Powers[/i][/b]: Multipower, 50-point reserve,  (50 Active Points); all slots Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -1/2) - END=
  3u     1)  [b][i]Lightning Bolt Form[/i][/b]: Teleportation 20", x2 Increased Mass, x4 Noncombat (50 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -1/2) - END=10
  3u     2)  [b][i]Lightning Blast[/i][/b]: Energy Blast 10d6 (50 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -1/2) - END=10

[b]POWERS Cost: 113[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]SKILLS[/u][/b]
  8      +1 with All Combat

0      Acting 8-
  3      Breakfall 14-
  0      Climbing 8-
  0      Concealment 8-
  0      Conversation 8-
  3      Criminology 12-
  0      Deduction 8-
  3      Forensic Medicine 12-
  3      Scholar
  1      1)  KS: Federal Criminal Law 11-
  1      2)  KS: Federal Criminal Procedure 11-
  1      3)  KS: The Superhuman World 11-
  1      Language:  English (imitate dialects; literate)
  1      Language:  French (fluent conversation; literate)
  2      Language:  Spanish (fluent conversation; literate)
  3      Paramedics 12-
  0      Persuasion 8-
  3      PS: Student 12-
  3      PS: Forensic Scientist 12-
  3      Scientist
  1      1)  SS:  Ballistics 11-
  1      2)  SS:  Chemistry 11-
  1      3)  SS:  Geology 11-
  1      4)  SS:  Hair And Fibre Analysis 11-
  1      5)  SS:  Print And Impression Identification 11-
  0      Shadowing 8-
  0      Stealth 8-
  0      TF:  Small Motorized Ground Vehicles

[b]SKILLS Cost: 44[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]PERKS[/u][/b]
  2      Deep Cover: Alex Lemick
  5      Money:  Well Off

[b]PERKS Cost: 7[/b]

[b][u]Value[/u]  [u]DISADVANTAGES[/u][/b]
  10     Dependent NPC:  Thunder And Lightning 8- (Slightly Less Powerful than the PC; Group DNPC: x2 DNPCs)
  20     Hunted:  VIPER 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Harshly Punish)
  15     Hunted:  Utility 8- (Mo Pow, Harshly Punish)
  10     Hunted:  PRIMUS 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Watching)
  10     Physical Limitation:  Medically Resistant Skin (Infrequently, Greatly Impairing)
  15     Psychological Limitation:  Code Of The Hero (Common, Strong)
  15     Psychological Limitation:  Overconfident (Very Common, Moderate)
  10     Psychological Limitation:  Feels That He Needs To Make Up For Parent's Criminal Past (Common, Moderate)
  10     Psychological Limitation:  Distrustfull Of Any Hero That Doesn't Conceal Their Identity (Common, Moderate)
  15     Social Limitation:  Secret ID: Alex Lemick (Frequently, Major)
  5     Social Limitation:  Really Robin Harrington, Son of Thunder and Lightning  (Occasionally, Minor)
  10     Susceptibility:  in Strong Magnetic Fields, 1d6 damage per Turn (Uncommon)
  5     Unluck: 1d6

[b]DISADVANTAGES Points: 150[/b]

Base Pts: 200
  Exp Required: 0
  Total Exp Available: 0
  Exp Unspent: 0
  Total Character Cost: 350

Background/History: In the 1980's, a super-powered couple was caught committing a robbery, in order to pay their taxes. Other than this annual event, John and Margaret Harrington were model citizens, so when the judge heard their tale, he engaged in what is known today as “creative sentencing”. In this now famous case, he sentenced them to “community service” for one year. For one year, the Harringtons could wear no clothes other than their state assigned superhero costumes. Their real names, address, and phone number were made public so they could be reached twenty-four hours a day, and they were given the superhero code-names of Thunder (Margaret) and Lightning (John). For the Harringtons, who valued their privacy, it was hell.

Once their sentence had been served, they found that they could not return to their former lives, they were simply too well known. But they had learned a lot about the underworld, and decided that if they couldn’t live a normal life, they would live a comfortable one. Thus began their careers, not as superheroes, but as supervillains. While they were not particularly powerful, they worked effectively as a team, and their motivation was almost purely one of monetary gain. With a clear goal and abilities that lent well to general situations, they gradually amassed quite the nest egg until over 5 years later, Thunder revealed that she was pregnant. With the help of L’Institut Thoth, who helped suppress Thunder’s prodigious strength during the pregnancy and assisted in the labour, Thunder and Lightning became the proud parents of a baby boy who they named, Robin. With a child to care for, they felt it was time to retire, and settled in the Bahamas.

Robin grew up a relatively normal child, although once he hit puberty, it became clear that he was slowly developing abilities similar to those of his parents. Fortunately, they manifested slowly and his parents were able to school him in how to control them. They also told him about their previous lives in the U.S., and tried to instil him an appreciation for the luxury that was a normal life (well as normal as a kid whose parents owned half the island). However, all through his adolescent years, he found himself protecting smaller, weaker children from local bullies. As he approached college age, he found that he could not accept a “normal” life. When he broke the news to his parent, they were at first mortified, but when they realised that he had every intention of concealing his identity, they decided that it was better to help him.

They used their remaining underworld connections to establish a false identity for Robin, and managed to get him enrolled in a State-side university. Robin then began attending as Alex Lemick, while at night he went forth as Tempest. Although he is new to the lifestyle, he has already become a thorn in the side of VIPER by helping an UNTIL strike force clean out a nest. Unfortunately, UNTIL has noticed the unusual combination of abilities he possesses, and that the timing would be just about right…

Personality/Motivation: Tempest is a natural hero. He is driven to right wrongs and help the downtrodden. The majority of his sightings have been rescuing cats from trees, small children form tight spaces and that like. However, his perceptions are coloured somewhat by the experiences of his parents. Unusual for a superbeing his age, he is supremely comfortable with his powers, especially his strength and durability. However, he is not as adept at his electrical abilities as his father was at the end of his superhero career.

Quote: "Well, at first I was going to go with 'Thunderhead', but realised I would leaving myself wide open on that one..."

Powers/Tactics: Tempest possesses all the abilities of both his parents, although not to the same degrees. When compared to them at the turning points of their careers, Tempest is much tougher than his mother, but cannot fly as fast. And with his electrical powers, he is a powerful as his father was, but is less used to actually using them, so finds them very tiring.

Combat-wise, he still has a lot to learn. He will often seek out the strongest opponent and use his flight to avoid any obstacles in his way. He tends to rely on his inherent ruggedness and simply goes all out in melee. Twice now, however, he has bitten of more than he can chew, so it is only a matter of time before he finds himself in hospital.

Appearance:

Tempest.jpg

Image Created Using Hero Machine.

Re: CHAR: Tempest

I like the legacy idea as well, and I really like the idea of taking one's own superpowered parents as DNPCs. The plot possibilities are terrific.

The build is pretty straightforward. He seems tough on defense but a little weak on offense. I might replace the +1 all combat with +2 H-to-H (and try to find another 2 points somewhere); it seems like he's unlikely to be skilled with ranged combat if he doesn't use his lightning bolt often.

Once you buy off that 2x END on the multipower, this will be a very fun teleporting brick (one of my favorite combinations).

His skills seem a little advanced for what is essentially a teen hero. Did he learn all that in college?

I like the legacy idea as well' date=' and I really like the idea of taking one's own superpowered parents as DNPCs. The plot possibilities are terrific.[/quote']Yeah, I was inspired by the Warren Peace character from Sky High, originally.

The build is pretty straightforward. He seems tough on defense but a little weak on offense. I might replace the +1 all combat with +2 H-to-H (and try to find another 2 points somewhere); it seems like he's unlikely to be skilled with ranged combat if he doesn't use his lightning bolt often.
I didn't want him to be exceptional in his combat experience (i.e. CSLs), and the full combat level means that he's also pretty good at throwing things around. But, yeah, I was toying with the idea of only using HtH levels. As for the lack of offense, well, for tougher opponents, he prefers move throughs, once again, simply relying on his natural durability to see him through.

Once you buy off that 2x END on the multipower, this will be a very fun teleporting brick (one of my favorite combinations).

His skills seem a little advanced for what is essentially a teen hero. Did he learn all that in college?

Well, ever since his parents "came out" to him, he's had an interest in superhuman law, and that's pretty much where his Knowledge skills come from. As for the rest of them, he mostly learned them in college, although he had an interest in chemistry and geology in high school. He's basically a bit of a prodigy when it comes to forensic science.

Thanks for the input.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm only here to help.

oh and I'm not sold on PS: Student. What income does he get for that that doesn't go back to the school?

As the name indicates, Professional Skills are

oft en used in a character’s employment. However,

they can also represent hobbies, interests, and other

abilities which don’t have much to do with earning

a living. Play Piano, Flower Arranging, Play Chess,

Sculptor, Singing, Singer, and Poet are all valid PSs.

PS: Student is also in the example list given. I see it as reflecting someone who knows how to study effectively and efficiently.

I'm only here to help.

oh and I'm not sold on PS: Student. What income does he get for that that doesn't go back to the school?

It is not so much lost income as poor grades. Basically, it has to do with how good his overall GPA is, and whether or not he fails or does not do well in classes. The "lost income" has more to do with lost status, i.e. GPA, and having to repeat classes, and thus pay the school more money and finish later, if at all.

Gemphyre

Mind if I subject your rather nicely built character to munchkinish Minmaxing?

Tempest - Alex Lemick, Robin Harrington.

VAL CHA Cost Total Roll Notes

.55 STR. 45 . 55 20- HTH Damage 11d6 END [3]

.23 DEX. 39 . 23 14- OCV 8 DCV 8

.33 CON. 46 . 30 15-

.13 BODY. 6 . 13 12-

.13 INT . 3 . 13 12- PER Roll 12-

.14 EGO . 8 . 14 12- ECV: 5

.20 PRE. 10 . 20 13- PRE Attack: 4d6

.14 COM . 2 . 14 12-

.30 PD .. 4 . 30 30 PD (15 rPD)

.30 ED .. 8 . 30 30 ED (15 rED)

. 5 SPD. 17 .. 5 Phases: 3, 5, 8, 10, 12

.18 REC . 0 . 18

.60 END. -3 . 60

.60 STUN. 2 . 60

. 6 RUN . 0 .. 6" END [1]

. 2 SWIM. 0 .. 2" END [1]

.11 LEAP. 0 . 11" - 11" forward, 6" upward

CHA Cost: 187

Cost POWERS

.10 Casual Strength: Reduced Endurance on 40 Str (1/2 END; +1/4) (10 Active Points) applied to STR - END= 3 (I think the original was incorrect, no? 50 +12 = 62 = 6 END, x1/2 = 3 END?_

.24 Galvanically Tough Skin: Armor (8 rPD/8 rED) - END=0

. 7 EC: Lightning Control

. 7 a) Static Propulsion: Flight 7" - END=1

. 7 B) Static Repulsion: +7 rPD/rED Force Field - END=1

POWERS Cost: 99

Cost SKILLS

.16 +2 with All Combat

. 0 Acting 8-

.7 Breakfall 16-

SKILLS Cost: 56

This version of your character sheet is slightly less well-defended when caught unawares, and uses slightly more END per phase, but has a somewhat better Recovery, hits harder and more often, moves faster and gets up faster when knocked down. I'm not saying this is a better design, only that it reflects the lightning and strength he inherited from his parents in a more focused way.

Mind if I subject your rather nicely built character to munchkinish Minmaxing?

This version of your character sheet is slightly less well-defended when caught unawares, and uses slightly more END per phase, but has a somewhat better Recovery, hits harder and more often, moves faster and gets up faster when knocked down. I'm not saying this is a better design, only that it reflects the lightning and strength he inherited from his parents in a more focused way.

In my book, it's a bad build.

The big one is that you "nuked" his skills. That's a big no-no in my book, :tsk:. One of the reasons I like the new standard point level is that is gives me some room to flesh out the skill list.

I would also ask if you are familliar with Thunder and Lightning in their Classic Enemies write-ups. In your write-up, he's inherited almost nothing from his father, and is less resilient than his mother.

And, no, my write-up for casual strength was correct. As shown below

Don’t consider the Reduced Endurance (½ END) Advantage when determining the END cost of a power; it halves the END cost of the power unmodified by itself.
I'm also unhappy with the END to REC per turn ratio in your build. It breaks one of my brick-laying rules. Always have more REC than the END you will commonly expend in a turn. But that is simply a matter of personal taste, but in a low-strength brick who has no "sock", it's almost a requirement.

As you said, it's not a better design, nor is mine, but I feel that mine actaully does what you set out to accomplish. But you have given me a better idea as to how he might develop, if I should ever get the chance to play him.

Er, actually, I didn't intend to nuke anything.. I just didn't repeat the parts that I didn't touch, since they were so nicely done already.

The Armor was sold back so the total DEF would remain the same. The Casual STR could be gotten to the same cost for 5 more points - 0 END on 30 STR (+1/2) - which would still leave 25 STR that could be pushed point for point, and 30 STR that could be used round after round for free.

It means moving the extra points back from skills (1 of the 8 pt Combat levels, 2 of the Breakfall levels), but you could put those seven points into raising his CON to 39 (12 for +6 CON, -1 to leave ED at the same level, Rec would increase to 19, -3 to keep END at the same level, and -2 leaves Stun one pip higher).

Then if he does happen to get hit with his FF down, he's still less likely to be CON-Stunned, effectively loses an average of 6 more Stun (since he starts with 1 higher), which he recovers 3 of at the end of phase 12.

Sure, he might spend 1 more END per phase, but it'll take him forty turns going all out before he starts burning STUN as END.

I do agree that you've done a great job, either way.

Well, I've never played with a GM who requires me to pay for the reduced END when pushing, considering that with the part I quoted, it seems counter-intuitive to have it not count for END calculations in one sense, but count in another. And I have a problem with placing 0 END on the bottom part of STR and placing END reduction on only part of innate STR, without good reason. (I usually reserve it for OIHID types).

But these are only problems because of playing style.

You haven't mentioned any familiarity with his parentage, but the impression that I'm getting is that the answer is no. So, here goes. Keep in mind that these were 4th Ed. write-ups, and the specific write-ups were for the beginnings of their adventuring career.

Mum was Thunder, a flying brick, with 50 STR, 30 Con, and 20 PD and ED, 10 resistant. I upped Tempest's defenses as a reflection of the galvanising effect combining the two halves of the living storm had wrought. And while his flight is 2" slower than his mother's, it's mainly because of limited ability to practice. His flash defence and lightning multipower are the same as his father, Lighting's, except that instead of 1/2 END on both slots, poor Tempest can tire himself out rather quickly if he's not carefull.

NOTE: Lighting actually ran around with on 10 PD and ED, none of it resistant, but veterans of 4th Ed. will know that it was quite common back then. These days, I don't feel safe without at least 8 pts of rPD, just in case.

I have to admit to being currently bookless, and working from fading memory. As for the good reasons, Tempest being your character, I respect that your design decisions are sound and reflect the concept.

I want to thank you for giving me the chance to exercise my inner design-twink a bit on an interestingly built character.

• 2 years later...

I've recently borrowed my friend's copy of Teen Champions and I thought that I would take a swing at writing up Tempest as a Ravenswood Freshman.

[b]Tempest - Robin Lemick, Robin Harrington.[/b]

[b][u]VAL[/u]   [u]CHA[/u]   [u]Cost[/u]   [u]Total[/u]   [u]Roll[/u]      [u]Notes[/u][/b]
30    STR     20   30      15-       HTH Damage 6d6  END [1]
15    DEX     15   15      12-       OCV 5 DCV 5
20    CON     20   20      13-
12    BODY    4   12      11-
13    INT     3   13      12-       PER Roll 12-
14    EGO     8   14      12-       ECV: 5
15    PRE     5   15      12-       PRE Attack: 3d6
14    COM     2   14      12-
15    PD      1   15/19             15/19 PD (8/12 rPD)
15    ED      3   15/19             15/19 ED (8/12 rED)
3    SPD     5   3                 Phases:  4, 8, 12
10    REC     0   10
40    END     0   40
40    STUN    3   40
6    RUN      0   6"                END [1]
2    SWIM     0   2"                END [1]
6    LEAP     0   6"                6" forward, 3" upward

[b]CHA Cost: 89[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]POWERS[/u][/b]
7     [b][i]Casual Strength[/i][/b]: Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (7 Active Points) applied to STR - END=
24     [b][i]Supertough Skin[/i][/b]: Armor (8 PD/8 ED) - END=0
12     [b][i]Flight[/i][/b]: Flight 6" - END=1
5     [b][i]Polarized Vision[/i][/b]: Sight Group Flash Defense (5 points) - END=0
15     [b][i]Lightning Powers[/i][/b]: Multipower, 30-point reserve,  (30 Active Points); all slots Increased Endurance Cost (x3 END; -1) - END=
1u     1)  [b][i]Lightning Bolt Form[/i][/b]: Teleportation 15" (30 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (x3 END; -1) - END=9
1u     2)  [b][i]Lightning Blast[/i][/b]: Energy Blast 6d6 (30 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (x3 END; -1) - END=9
8     [b][i]Ravenswood Costume[/i][/b]: Armor (4 PD/4 ED) (12 Active Points); OIF (-1/2) - END=0
15     [b][i]Image Inducer[/i][/b]: Shape Shift  (Sight Group), Instant Change, 1 Continuing Fuel Charge lasting 1 Day (+1/2) (22 Active Points); IAF (-1/2) - END=[1 cc]
13     [b][i]School Pin[/i][/b]: Mind Link , Specific Group of Minds, No LOS Needed, Number of Minds (x16) (40 Active Points); Only With Others Who Have Mind Link (-1), IAF (-1/2), Sense Affected As Radio And Hearing Groups, Not Mental Group (-1/2) - END=0

[b]POWERS Cost: 101[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]SKILLS[/u][/b]
0      Acting 8-
1      Breakfall 8-
0      Climbing 8-
0      Concealment 8-
0      Conversation 8-
1      Criminology 8-
0      Deduction 8-
1      KS: The Superhuman World 8-
1      Language:  English (imitate dialects; literate)
1      Language:  French (fluent conversation; literate)
2      Language:  Spanish (fluent conversation; literate)
0      Paramedics 8-
0      Persuasion 8-
0      PS: Student 11-
0      Shadowing 8-
0      Stealth 8-

[b]SKILLS Cost: 7[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]PERKS[/u][/b]
1      Fringe Benefit:  Passport
2      Deep Cover

[b]PERKS Cost: 3[/b]

[b][u]Value[/u]  [u]DISADVANTAGES[/u][/b]
5     Dependent NPC:  Thunder and Lightning 8- (As powerful as the PC; Group DNPC: x2 DNPCs)
20     Hunted:  Ravenswood Staff 11- (Mo Pow, NCI, Mildly Punish)
10     Physical Limitation:  Medically Resistant Skin (Infrequently, Greatly Impairing)
15     Psychological Limitation:  Easily Embarrassed (Common, Strong)
10     Psychological Limitation:  Feels That He Needs To Make Up For His Parents Criminal Past (Common, Moderate)
10     Social Limitation:  Minor (Under 16) (Frequently, Minor)
15     Social Limitation:  Secret Identity, Robin Lemick (Frequently, Major)
5     Social Limitation:  Really Robin Harrington, Son of Thunder and Lightning (Occasionally, Minor)
10     Susceptibility:  Strong Magnetic Fields 1d6 damage per Turn (Uncommon)

[b]DISADVANTAGES Points: 100[/b]

Base Pts: 100
Exp Required: 0
Total Exp Available: 0
Exp Unspent: 0
Total Character Cost: 200