Fantasy / Period Clothing

Kristopher

Re: Fantasy / Period Clothing

This site seems to have a lot of references and pics that'll probably help you in your search.

Was there something in particular you were looking for?

Medieval, and pre-Roman Britain and Gaul.

I keep finding sites that think I want to see rotten cloth, ruined reliefs, and faded illumination, and agonizingly long discussions about how they think they know how a particular village wore their cloak pins in 1029.

• 3 weeks later...

One of the things I'm looking for is if there's a European hat that's similar to this style of hat:

http://www.rebirth.co.za/african_hats.htm

I've seen them in a few movies and TV series, but I can't find images or names online.

One of the problems with the sites I keep finding is that they either have no images, or have art from the period they're dicussing, which is very hard to discern anything in.

If you're looking for a hat like that in Iron Age Gaul or Britain, I doubt you're going to find it. The iconography of the early Iron Age includes a kind of low conical hat apparently worn by male warriors/elites (possibly made of bark, at least in the Hochdorf burial), and there are several later depictions of "double-comma" headdresses in religious art, but I know of nothing like an African or Middle Eastern fez or kofia from Iron Age Europe.

If you're looking for a hat like that in Iron Age Gaul or Britain' date=' I doubt you're going to find it. The iconography of the early Iron Age includes a kind of low conical hat apparently worn by male warriors/elites (possibly made of bark, at least in the Hochdorf burial), and there are several later depictions of "double-comma" headdresses in religious art, but I know of nothing like an African or Middle Eastern fez or kofia from Iron Age Europe.[/quote']

Maybe it's a costuming error.

Might be from a later period, also.

The image I have in my head is of a hat made plain cloth, instead of the patterned cloth on the African hats, with an embroidered or decorated section about an inch tall around the bottom.

Maybe it's a costuming error.

Might be from a later period, also.

The image I have in my head is of a hat made plain cloth, instead of the patterned cloth on the African hats, with an embroidered or decorated section about an inch tall around the bottom.

Urgh - there are several hats which could fit your mental image, given the pictures off the link.

Working backwards....

In Late medieval/Renaissance italy, these little babiesmemling_candida_1480_thumb.jpg were all over. They are usually just called "Caps" but are sometimes referred to as "Toques" "truncated toques" (because toques, while all cylindrical, could also be tall - the traditional cook's hat is a modified toque) or "Italian Toques". Or for that matter, "slashed caps" (because some of them had a slash up one side tied together with a lace, allowing you to fit it for size, or "red caps" (nothing to do with scottish goblins) because so many of them shown in paintings are red - making them look like so many fezzes. That's probably because of the ecclesiastical connection of the paintings, though, rather than real fashion. Modern toques are made of floppy material, but in medieval times they were often made of felt, so were stiff-sided.

In 1400's Flanders, men wore a little cylindrical hat, which sometimes had an embroidered rim, called a "Pill hat" which also makes its way into some English paintings - and presumably therefore onto some English heads (not surprisingly, given the trade of the day) Clothing_Flemish_Pill_Hat_FPH_1559.jpg

Earlier in England and north-western France (mid-1200's) men wore a similar thing, but I can't help you with a name: as far as I know, they are just called "hattes"

cheers, Mark

cheers, Mark

Now I have a question, where can I find good pictures of japanese and chinese clothes. With the chinese, both han style and the styles after they got invaded and han styles were outlawed (can't for the life of me remember what's it called... read it ONCE... also not 100% sure Han is correct... :o). Preferably these would be pictures of actual people and such, not paitings/drawings... but really good art would do!

Thanks!