Resistant Defences

Defences other than PD and ED can be made resistant. Why would you do this? I can't find any power or advantage, other than a Killing Attack, that cares about resistant defences. Is resistant Mental Defence available simply so that you can spend those 12 pesky points you have left over and don't otherwise need?

Re: Resistant Defences

They are specifically for Killing Attacks. Or any AVLD or NND whose defense is defined as Resistant.

Resitant Mental Defense is extremely rare, I have encountered it once, and a need for it once. But HERO is about providing options, just in case you're running a Mentalist Campaign where Mental Killing Attacks are moderately common (I have made a character with a RKA:BOECV once, never got to play them though).

As for that last 12 Points, oh I can think of a ton of places to spend them. . .

Ok. BOECV does it for Mental Defence. Any examples of where you might want resistant Flash or Power Defence?

Edit: Apart from NND and AVLD, which you've already pointed out.

Aside from a Killing Attack, AVLD/NND, Does Body (or I suppose a normal NND/AVLD where the defense is Resitant Flash/Power defense [There might be a GM that allows that, I've never met one])- I can't think of a reason but if your GM is allowing AVLD Does Body Killing Attacks it's a pretty good reason to have resistant Flash and Power Defense (Probably Lack of Weakness as well).

Ok. BOECV does it for Mental Defence. Any examples of where you might want resistant Flash or Power Defence?

Edit: Apart from NND and AVLD, which you've already pointed out.

I've never found an in game need for Resistant Flash Defense or Power Defense. But that doesn't mean no one ever will.

The idea is that by leaving all avenues open in the System you can build whatever it is you need.

And NND and AVLD are the only ways to get to a point where you can use Resistant Flash or Power Defenses, as those are the Advantages that allow you to switch what Defenses are used.

Voice Of God: Ranged Killing Attack; NND (Defense is Resistant Hearing Flash Defense); Does Body; Area Of Effect; No Range

Defences other than PD and ED can be made resistant. Why would you do this? I can't find any power or advantage' date=' other than a Killing Attack, that cares about resistant defences. Is resistant Mental Defence available simply so that you can spend those 12 pesky points you have left over and don't otherwise need?[/quote']

OK, the official ruling is that a Killing Attack that is made applicable against an exotic defense applies it damage to that exotic defense like it would to a normal defense, i.e. if there is no resistant version of the defense all of the damage gets through. So an RKA based on ECV while still only doing STUN damage will still ignore any non-resistant mental defense, and if even one point of the mental defense is resistant all of the mental defense would apply against the stun damage.

Personally, I hate this rule. In any campaign I run, making a killing attack apply against an exotic defense means that the "normal" version of the exotic defense works against it like resisitant defense. Anything else just violates my sense of balance. So I would prefer that the book ruling was my interpretation and the official ruling was an optional rule.

Theoritcally, I guess that it would be possible to make an attack AVLD or NND vs. "Resistant Mental Defense", but personally, as a GM I would most likely disallow it as being too arcane of a build for any game I'm running. At this moment in time I can not think of a campaign setting that I would use that would make such a build viable. Obviously, this is a matter mainly of my personal play style and other GMs will have a completely different stance on what campaign settings they use.

Since Fifth Edition came out I've used a BOECV Killing Attack once, as a Damage Shield for the Monster (from Conquerors, Killers, And Crooks). Its thoughts are supposed to be so evil that they cause physical pain to any mentalist who contacts it, but its build from the book (based on Ego Attack) could still be ignored by mentalists with a moderate amount of Mental Defense. The KA build blows right by those defenses.

BTW that attack is also supposed to do BODY damage. My one mentalist PC who attacked the Monster tried to soldier on despite the pain, until I mentioned that his eyes were bleeding. :eg:

Since Fifth Edition came out I've used a BOECV Killing Attack once' date=' as a Damage Shield for the Monster (from [i']Conquerors, Killers, And Crooks[/i]). Its thoughts are supposed to be so evil that they cause physical pain to any mentalist who contacts it, but its build from the book (based on Ego Attack) could still be ignored by mentalists with a moderate amount of Mental Defense. The KA build blows right by those defenses.

BTW that attack is also supposed to do BODY damage. My one mentalist PC who attacked the Monster tried to soldier on despite the pain, until I mentioned that his eyes were bleeding. :eg:

ohh I like it.

Since Fifth Edition came out I've used a BOECV Killing Attack once' date=' as a Damage Shield for the Monster (from [i']Conquerors, Killers, And Crooks[/i]). Its thoughts are supposed to be so evil that they cause physical pain to any mentalist who contacts it, but its build from the book (based on Ego Attack) could still be ignored by mentalists with a moderate amount of Mental Defense. The KA build blows right by those defenses.

The Monster doesn't have a KA but an Ego Attack that does Body. Therefore, the question arises: is it treated as a KA or a funky Ego Attack? If it's supposed to be a KA, they easily could have written it up as a mental KA but didn't. Thoughts?

go read AVLD very carefully... its only a +3/4 adder to change a power that already affects an exotic defense (FD, PD, MD) to affect a resistant exotic defensde. its not about body in this case.

with a cap of 60 active points, you could get a 34-point attack with this adder. enough for 3d6 of a 10-pointer(drain, ego attack), some transforms), 6d6 of a 5-pointer (sight flash, some transforms), or 11d6 of non-sight flash (hearing for instance).

slap that into a multipower, and you have a VERY ugly selection of abilities at your disposal. lets say its a 'sub-sonic disruptor', defense is resistant flash defense (hearing). stun beam 3d6 (ego attack), vertigo disruption 3d6 (agility drain), flash 10d6 (hearing and 'sense' of balance), nasuea beam 3d6 (minor transform, -2 penalties). that looks rather dangeours, for an OAF gun dosent it?

throw that at your players, as a recurring joke villian. have him cause some trouble, and see how many people decide they need resistant flash def afterwards.