Three Heroes to Save the Universe

Cardinal

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Three Heroes to Save the Universe

Just a quick note on Drifter- he strikes me not so much as true wizard but instead a mystical being. He's not so much weaving spells and channeling raw mystical or cosmic energy. Using DC as an example, he's not Doctor Fate but the Spectre who I think no one could see as an Archmage despite his overwhelming power.

Then again, maybe I'm just being stubborn.

Just a quick note on Drifter- he strikes me not so much as true wizard but instead a mystical being. He's not so much weaving spells and channeling raw mystical or cosmic energy. Using DC as an example, he's not Doctor Fate but the Spectre who I think no one could see as an Archmage despite his overwhelming power.

Then again, maybe I'm just being stubborn.

That's a fair statement. The Drifter's learned a lot in the last 60 years or so but he really had all that magical might thrust upon him rather then seeking it out and trying to harness it. The Specter is a good analogy.

It does make one wonder what benefits the Archmage gets when you have characters like Takofane, the Edomite, and the Drifter with 150 pt cosmic power pools. :)

Being fair, all the existing 150 Cosmic VPP types have something particular behind the VPP. The Drifter has a tie to a cosmic archetype, Luther Black stole the Power of Sharna-Gorak, both Takofanes and Dr Yin Wu are extremely long lived ( if to wildly differing extents ). "I achieved Archmagedom" could legitimately be one of these types of properties.

That said, the Archmage also benefits from his status, in that there are at least some spells and effects that *only* the Archmage can use, notably the Quarternion Banishment.

Being fair' date=' all the existing 150 Cosmic VPP types have something particular behind the VPP. The Drifter has a tie to a cosmic archetype, Luther Black stole the Power of Sharna-Gorak, both Takofanes and Dr Yin Wu are extremely long lived ( if to wildly differing extents ). "I achieved Archmagedom" could legitimately be one of these types of properties.[/quote']

I always forget about Yin Wu. Thanks for reminding me. :)

That said, the Archmage also benefits from his status, in that there are at least some spells and effects that *only* the Archmage can use, notably the Quarternion Banishment.

I believe anyone who gets the 3 gifts can use the Quaternion Banishment whether they become Archmage or not. That spell isn't limited only to the Archmage.

It seems like the big advantage to Archmages is that they don't need to make skill rolls and they can use any magic they like. These restrictions also seem lost to Takofane, Yin Wu, and the Drifter who already have "cosmic" vpps and so don't have to deal with switching time or skill rolls [the Edomite needs the skill roll].

As an aside, the Drifter's the only vpp mage who doesn't have the "magic only" limitation. I wonder if that's a fluke in design or if he really can use his power for anything?

Re: Quarternion Banishment.

It may not be that only the Archmage can use it, but it *is* a requirement... and I think that if anybody *else* used it, they'd quickly find the entire mystic world kicking their tails half way to Vulshoth's hidey-hole, given the costs involved.

Re: Quarternion Banishment.

It may not be that only the Archmage can use it, but it *is* a requirement... and I think that if anybody *else* used it, they'd quickly find the entire mystic world kicking their tails half way to Vulshoth's hidey-hole, given the costs involved.

I think the restrictions more about the fact that the QB is a 97 point spell. Most mages are not going to have access to a 100 point vpp or multipower to add the spell to their list. Off the top of my head only the 4 listed above and Rashindar have that much spell ability.

That was my thought as well; just like some get magic only -1/4 while others get -1/2.

Which one's get -1/2? Only one I know is Dr Yin Wu, and thats because his is a somewhat more restricted set of magic ( Chinese sorcery, rather than generic thaumaturgy ).

Ah, but there *is* a special benefit for those with three gifts instead of four.

The Triternion Curse: Hunted (DEMON, Tyrannon, and every other extra-dimensional world-conquering mutha out there): MoPow, 11-, NCI, 25 points.

Psych Lim: Might accidentally think he has the *Qua*ternion Curse, and can therefore actually fight his new Hunteds: Unc., Mod (5 points).

Use your 30 points wisely... I personally recommend enough PowDefense that they can't just Transform you out of existence. :P

(Sorry... it's been a long day....)

If I were going to use heroes from our current M&M "Legacy" game I would pick:

Crimson Pulse [PL 11] is the son of Superman and Lois Lane. Crimson Pulse possesses Superman's heat vision, sight, and flight powers with some minor invulnerability. His sister Amazon possesses Superman's strength and invulnerability but none of his other abilities.

Mach [PL 10.5] is the son of Flash (Barry Allen) and Iris. Mach possesses speedforce abilities similar to the Flash's but tends to use more sonic boom abilities as attacks (explosions, flashes, etc).

Midknight [PL 11] is the son of Batman and Wonder Woman. Midknight possesses low-level superhuman strength with genius intellect and advanced warfare training. Like Batman Midknight uses the fear mystique and gadgetry.

Guest Goradin

I too am wanting to see Vanguard in some form. Maybe a book of the dead article in DH would not be a bad idea, it worked for Marvel.

I too am wanting to see Vanguard in some form. Maybe a book of the dead article in DH would not be a bad idea' date=' it worked for Marvel.[/quote']

Last word posted from Darren Watts is that the scenario with Vanguard that he was working on for NOTW may show up as a Hero Plus Adventure whenever he finishes it. I suppose Digital Hero would be an appropriate venue for it, too, although DH material isn't automatically considered "official" Champions Universe continuity.

Guest Goradin

I'd buy that Hero Plus, boy I almost feel sorry for the lads at DoJ as we fanboys try to pull them in a zillion different directions in terms of game design.