Three Heroes to Save the Universe

Cardinal

Ok, here is the scenario. You know that the universe is facing a dramatic threat. Unless you act (now), the universe will be ripped apart, disintegrate, turn into spam or something equally "bad". Your hero can stop all of this by going through a four person dimensional gate to the source of the problem. He/she will then have to solve whatever that problem may be.

Unfortunately, you do not know what you will face there. Will it be a nefarious demon with eldritch powers most foul... or will it be a city of animal men and their nefarious genetic engineer master... or will it be the nefarious technical genius with his army of deadly robots and a dimensional transfibrilator.. or will it be... well you get the point. You know it will be nefarious, but not what flavor of nefarious it will be.

You have three more slots on the gate. Who from the Champions Universe do you bring with you and why? What are they bringing to the table? If you want to bring non-Hero published heroes please give a brief background. If your character (taking the fourth spot) has a particular skill set that will impact on the remaining slots, let us know.

So who are your "Three Heroes to Save the Universe?"

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Three Heroes to Save the Universe

First off, an good and original post- thumbs up!

It would depend on which of my Silver Knights I selected as my lead character. Before I go further into that though, I think that the following would be excellent choices (the first three from Champions Worldwide):

Ha'pele (very powerful mentalist)

Rashindar (strong strong contendor for the Arch Mage posistion)

Tetsuronin (the Japanese Ironman and genius)

Starguard (I don't know if the modern age character was published but you can see one in the Galactic Champions book- basically a GL analog)

Outside of that, I'm not sure but you'd have your bases covered pretty well with those three (although I don't put Ha'pele quite in the same weight class as the other three).

Using non-published characters, I would vote for Horus-Re from the New Sentinels- an 800 pt homage to Thor and Black Adam. A physical powerhouse with an impressive array of stats, the White Knight defense that lets him survive nukes, and the wisdom of having lived thousands of years.

Of my own personal characters, I would consider the following the best suited (depending on when the battle takes place):

1. Lady Silver: a classic mage and potentially the next Arch Mage

2. Tyr: Norse god of Justice, War, and Truth: think Thor, take away the storm powers, and add in even more attitude, combat skill, and a Final Justice attack that few can withstand

3. Starknight: one of the Galaxy's 12 Celestial Paladins- the equivalient of GL

4. Titan: also similar to Ironman but to be honest, he's not in Tetsuronin's weight class.

Walkabout. Mystic, with experience with inter-dimensional threats.

Seeker. Experienced inter-dimensional traveller (from the 4th Ed CU).

Brigade. Muscle.

I don't really have a suitable personal player character for this, but I've been meaning to whip up a bit of a super-scientist for a while.

My character (Alex Vassilikos, MD) would fill the mentalist role. He isn't on the same level as a Menton or Mentalla, but he's the best I've got. :)

1. Dr. Destroyer: He's smart, incredibly powerful, and he has a huge stake in maintaining the universe (he wants at least a part of it someday). Yes, he's a villain, but I think he'd step up for this. He also provides a "when will he turn on us?" feeling for the others.

2. Quasar: Leader of UNITY and very powerful in his own right, I like this character as perhaps the worst possible hero to team up with Dr. Destroyer. Their working together help impress how important the task is and keeps tension high at all times.

3. Rashindar: He's here to fill the role of the mystic, but could easily be replaced by a more powerful mystic. I don't have Ultimate Mystic, so I haven't found a more suitable replacement.

Mentiac: He's not the most offensively powerful hero but there's only one person in the world smarter. He's Reed Richards. If he can't figure it out no other hero will.

The Drifter: He knows dimensions and he has the mystical might to get things done. He should be the next Archmage, IMO.

Diamond: He's the uncle you always know you can count on. Level-headed and powerful, he brings the human and practical element to the team.

1. Dr. Destroyer: He's smart, incredibly powerful, and he has a huge stake in maintaining the universe (he wants at least a part of it someday). Yes, he's a villain, but I think he'd step up for this. He also provides a "when will he turn on us?" feeling for the others.

hehehe this has a very comic book vibe to it. Love it.

3. Rashindar:

Looks like Rashindar is the mystic of choice for many. Like BWDemon and Powerhouse, I had him on my list as well. He is a nasty combatant and very flexible (and has Xdim movement in case you really need it. ;) )

I also had Tetsuronin on my list (like Powerhouse). However, I am concerned that he doesn't have full range of science skills that you might need from your super genius (i.e. not biological sciences, etc.). I was thinking of Dr. Silverback instead, but he doesn't bring the firepower of Tetsuronin. I'm still on the fence on that one.

My final position, I hadn't filled yet. I was undecided between a flexible raw power hero (GL type) or trying to fill a missing skill set (leadership, skillmaster, tactics, stealth guy). I like MichtellS's suggestion of Mentiac towards that direction - one that I had not thought of.

Keep the team proposals coming.

Mentiac: He's not the most offensively powerful hero but there's only one person in the world smarter. He's Reed Richards. If he can't figure it out no other hero will.

As I said above, interesting suggestion!

The Drifter: He knows dimensions and he has the mystical might to get things done. He should be the next Archmage, IMO.

What book is Drifter from? I don't think I know this character.

What book is Drifter from? I don't think I know this character.

The Drifter is in Champions Universe: News of the World. He's a member of the Justice Squadron. 1,147 points of mystic superhero. He has the 150 point vpp to rival Takofanes and the Edomite and enough damage reduction and force fields to take a decent beating [not to mention the regen and full life support].

Diamond: He's the uncle you always know you can count on. Level-headed and powerful, he brings the human and practical element to the team.

I think the problem with Drifter becoming the Archmage, is he's tied to too strongly to one of the cosmic archetypes, possibly even Urizen himself.

Also, is this limited gate the *only* way to get to the site of the crisis? Note that even if the locale is unknown and normally unreachable, its entirely possible ( and in genre ) that once someone has traversed to it, they may be able to create a link for others to come along. Which admittedly, opens up its own set of complications.

The Drifter. Definitely the Drifter. For one thing, in an emergency, *he* can get you out without having to get back to the entry point. ;P

For another, more important thing, he's got the mystic power of the Edomite without the "chained to a life support system" issues... heck, for straight-on combat, he's *stronger* than the Edomite.

Beyond that... I *do* like the idea of Doctor Destroyer. He's got the science skills, and he's got raw power second only to the *actual* Kings of Edom, based purely on write-up. Anybody who could conceivably go toe-to-toe with Vulshoth warrants inclusion in this scenario... since he might have to do just that. As BWDemon said, he can probably be trusted to at least offer his help... what the price is, that's another issue.

Of course, if Destroyer seems to be otherwise occupied (y'know... like if he *is* the problem...?), I'd probably go for Mentiac, preferably after making sure he straps down with all the defensive gear possible. This guy is here for pure support purposes - to figure out the problem, the solution, and the plans to implement the solution.

I would not, not, NOT bring him *and* Destroyer. Disaster central on so many levels it's not funny.

As for the third... here's where I dip into my personal pool of powerhouses. Amalgam, AKA Principal Grey. He's a mutant with one particularly useful ability - Mental Defenses to rival Destroyer's. When a pair of disembodied mentalists tried to possess him, they ended up stuck, and for something like this all three personalities would agree that they should work together.

Amalgam (the name for all three of them working together) is a very focused, Menton-scale mentalist capable of handling just about whatever you throw at him, so he'd *definitely*be on the team.

As for the character of mine I'd want filling in the fourth slot... with the sort of power being thrown around here, most of them are toast if they get hit. Field Test is *straight* out - he's not reliable enough for this sort of mission (personally, he would be, but his *gear* isn't). Void and Huntress... I'd be *exceedingly* concerned about their mental stability under the stress involved.

Strange as it sounds (particularly given prior comments about mental stability), I'd be liable to select either Scarface or Prometheus. Scarface has the advantage of skill over power, and an arsenal that rivals the Punisher's. Normally, he'd be exceedingly out of place in this sort of scenario, but his secondary skills (medical, for example) could be handy, and he'd be an excellent scout. Also, if you find yourself up against normal troops, he's *very* good at handling himself in a fight against multiple semi-cannon-fodder, freeing the big boys up some to focus on the major threat.

Prometheus, on the other hand, is a more classic example. One of my very, very few Superman clones, he's got firepower and durability enough to rumble with threats at this level. He's also suitably stable to be reliable under pressure (we're talking Prometheus post-spiritual-awakening; before that, as Titan, he was a cynic who'd probably fold if there was any chance that the threat could be confronted at a later point in time instead), yet cynical enough to keep an eye on Destroyer, if he was along. While Drifter and Amalgam would undoubtedly do so as well... it helps to have somebody watching him who can be sucker punched if he turns away *without* getting his head knocked cleanly off his body.

I think the problem with Drifter becoming the Archmage' date=' is he's tied to too strongly to one of the cosmic archetypes, possibly even Urizen himself.[/quote']

I'd forgotten about that tied-to-someone rule for the Archmage. Still it seems strange that the most powerful good mystic in the universe can't be the Archmage. :)

As for who some of my characters would pick. . .

Microman II: Horus-Re, Starguard, and Warp. Though he might cheat, and drag the rest of the team down into the Microverse to ride through the gates on a single atom inside Horus-Re's ear, or something. :)

Hermes: Minos, the Champion of Ra, and either Ur-Nammu or Rory Kincaid. :D

Soulbarb doesn't generally handle problems on this scale and doesn't have a team or the global-level contacts to form one. She's a street-level heroine for the most part; her contacts are strictly local and mostly around her own power level. She would call the problem in to UNTIL or PRIMUS, anonymously if possible, and let them worry about forming the team; she's not suited to go. The only way she would be going is if she had to go *right now* with whoever she could get her hands on... then it depends on whoever happens to be around in her campaign city. The only person she's worked with on a regular basis is her boyfriend Nocturne, so him for certain; otherwise, it's catch as catch can.

Sylph doesn't consider herself suitable to lead a hero team; she's too shy and retiring, and is more of a support player than a front-line fighter. She would either contact UNTIL and let them form a hero team, or contact Speedzone and let him arrange things.

Also' date=' is this limited gate the *only* way to get to the site of the crisis? Note that even if the locale is unknown and normally unreachable, its entirely possible ( and in genre ) that once someone has traversed to it, they may be able to create a link for others to come along. Which admittedly, opens up its own set of complications.[/quote']

As far as it matters for getting people there, yes this gate is the only way there. If the GM needs to throw a curve ball later (or bail out the PCs) he reserves the right to completely violate this rule. ;)

As for who some of my characters would pick. . .

Microman II: Horus-Re, Starguard, and Warp. Though he might cheat, and drag the rest of the team down into the Microverse to ride through the gates on a single atom inside Horus-Re's ear, or something. :)

If my memory of what I have seen posted about these characters, you are basically bringing Superman, GL (though a naive one), and a super teleporter. Very versititle powersets.

How are they on the skill front? My only concern would they have the science or mystic skills if that particular thing hit the fan.... However, with Superman, GL and a super teleporter, often the need for those skills might be moot. ;)

How are they on the skill front? My only concern would they have the science or mystic skills if that particular thing hit the fan.... However' date=' with Superman, GL and a super teleporter, often the need for those skills might be moot. ;)[/quote']

I seem to recall seeing a writeup of Warp on these boards. Isn't he a gadget-based teleporter?

If my memory of what I have seen posted about these characters, you are basically bringing Superman, GL (though a naive one), and a super teleporter. Very versititle powersets.

How are they on the skill front? My only concern would they have the science or mystic skills if that particular thing hit the fan.... However, with Superman, GL and a super teleporter, often the need for those skills might be moot. ;)

Horus-Re has plenty of mystic knowledge, and under crisis circumstances, Starguard likely would remember some useful stuff.

We are kind of weaker on the science side, with just Microman's moderate skill. . . which is why he'd try and cheat and bring along Fielan, Cyrande, and maybe Dad, by means of Random Shoulder Atom #1205837239. ;)

I seem to recall seeing a writeup of Warp on these boards. Isn't he a gadget-based teleporter?

Nope, he's a teleporter who also has gadgets. The gadgets come from his contacts and resources, though, not his skills. Or, when your a billionaire, you can afford to buy cool toys.

And, in the game I'm currently running, the choice for any of the players would be easy: "I bring along my three teammates." Then again, it has a similar schtick to the New Sentinels campaign: "You guys are the Justice League."

( member descriptions: "The Shade's powerset attached to a paladin's soul"; "The Fixer reformed and grown up into Reed Richards"; "Animated Vandal Savage crossed with Captain America"; and "Superman by way of Black Bolt and Lucifer" )

In a situation as uncertain - and as high stakes - as the one described, nothing substitutes for a lot of Luck.

So... Foxbat.

The other slots will be filled with the usual hypercompetents, like Harbinger of Justice and Dr. Destroyer. But Foxbat is a necessity.

In a situation as uncertain - and as high stakes - as the one described, nothing substitutes for a lot of Luck.

So... Foxbat.

The other slots will be filled with the usual hypercompetents, like Harbinger of Justice and Dr. Destroyer. But Foxbat is a necessity.

Come on now, we all know that Foxbat's the villain on the other side of the portal. :)