New Game: Remnants of Hope

jkwleisemann

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: New Game: Remnants of Hope

Stats: I *strongly* prefer that they be No Figured Characteristics, barring good reasons otherwise (case-by-case basis).

No Endurance abilities: Honestly, I'm fine with it. Again, case-by-case, but I'm not going to turn it down out of hand.

BTW... anybody else out there with outstanding questions I haven't answered yet?

Stats: I *strongly* prefer that they be No Figured Characteristics, barring good reasons otherwise (case-by-case basis).

No Endurance abilities: Honestly, I'm fine with it. Again, case-by-case, but I'm not going to turn it down out of hand.

BTW... anybody else out there with outstanding questions I haven't answered yet?

Is "Spider" an element?

How do you feel about latent talents vs. spending XP on new talents with good justification?

I can think of a number of talents Cal ought to learn eventually - Bump of Direction, Find Weakness, Cramming, for instance, but don't see him quite _there_ yet.

Is "Spider" an element?

:think:

:jawdrop:

:tsk:

Ladies and gentlemen... we now know just *why* Mati (sp?) got "Heart" instead of something else.

Though an eight-limbed Captain Planet might have been interesting....

Back on topic, "Spider Powers" could certainly be used for an Elemental Control... my primary determination, for reference, is whether or not it makes logical sense that everything could be Drained at once, more than anything else.

As for other questions: Latent talents and discovering you can do more than expected is fine (qualifies under "retraining" in my mind). RP'ing it out will depend on how the game itself has gone prior to that; if you've been making it clear that you're trying to push your abilities most of the time, then I'll handwave most of the training as "happened off-screen." If it's just a new ability... then we'll need some RP reason to justify it, probably.

Here is the background for my submission:

MADSTONE

(Placed behind a spoiler tag for length.)

Background/History.

The darkness shook like thunder. Oxygen seeped into the chamber. It was quiet once more.

The figure sprawled in the dust coughed once. It was jagged, rasping, uncomfortable. The uninvited oxygen brushed across his cracked lips for the first time since…

*Get up, Old Man.*

With sudden violence the skeletal figure inhaled a throatful of cave dust. His emaciated frame jerked in spasms as he desperately sought air, choking and strangling on the dry grime in his mouth and his lungs.

*Don’t die on me. Not now.*

For several painful minutes he struggled to exhale the caked dirt and retrieve the life giving oxygen. He paused at last, his breathing deep and labored, but the dust was gone. Knives of pure agony pierced his chest. Mountains hammered on his fragile skull.

*Take it easy, Old Man. Just breathe. In and out, just breathe. The pain will go away.*

He wept dry tears. He couldn’t open his eyes. No, his eyes were open now, there was simply no difference. The darkness was absolute. Perhaps he was blind.

*You’re not blind. Can you move your hands?*

The helpless figure of a man shook his hands back and forth slightly. His arms turned and lifted a bit before the strain became too great.

*Good. Well, good enough for now. Move your legs.*

His right leg rolled forth and back one time.

*And your left leg.*

Nothing happened.

*Move you left leg now, dammit! *

His left leg felt like it was wrapped in plaster. He ordered it to move, but it was being resisted.

* I’m not screwing around—MOVE IT NOW!*

He screamed voicelessly in pain as he broke through the barrier and moved his leg. Rocks and gravel shifted beside him. The noise only made him realize how terribly silent this place was.

*Better. Ok, you need to get up.*

The voice made no sound. It didn’t exist in the silence.

*Worry about that later. For now, just get up.*

The voice was familiar, even if it wasn’t comforting. He flexed his fingers; stiff, heavy, but not painful. He spent the next minutes, or perhaps the next eon, trying to sit up. He found a wall nearby and leaned against it. His chest felt tight. Feeble fingers felt at his torn shirt and found two short sticks protruding from his upper body. So I am dead, he thought.

*You are not dead, that I can promise you. Not yet you’re not.*

He grasped weakly at the sticks. Testing their depth, he pulled with what little strength he could muster. A shock ran through his chest at the point of contact. His hands dropped.

*It’s time for those to come out.*

I can’t, he thought at the voice. It hurts.

*It’s going to hurt like hell when you pull them out. But they need to come out now.*

He wanted to argue with the voice. He wanted to lie back down and sleep, let the pain pass.

*Forget it, Old Man. You’re not finished yet. You have work to do.*

What work? He wondered. He didn’t know where he was, he didn’t know who the commanding, silent voice was, and he suddenly realized he didn’t know who he was.

*Pull out those arrows. You’ll get your answers.*

Arrows. He had arrows in his chest. Someone shot him. He should be more shocked. He should be dead. He gripped the broken arrows as firmly as he could and pulled. They seemed to wiggle in his chest. He could move them around as if he were stirring some thick liquid. There was no pain.

*Pull.*

The voice commanded him, and he obeyed. Strength came from deep inside him. He wrenched the arrows from his chest and the darkness exploded. His back arched as his body and his mind were overwhelmed by a vortex of sensations and images. Fragments of memory slashed at him. Sounds of pain rumbled into him into him. As visions exploded before him even the darkness blurred…

…he is nine years old, in his father’s workshop, the heat from the crucible is so intense, his father is creating a bottle of blue glass…

…he is in battle with the Edomite, glowing white arrows of chemical fire fly forth from his bow, he is surrounded by the greatest heroes of this world, he is surrounded by corpses…

…he is learning to shoot a six gun, the blonde cowboy is showing him shooting tricks, he is being warned about the Indians that would take his skullcap for a trophy…

…he is burying his father…

…he is fighting the Hellking, he lets loose with a volley of shining arrows, his sidekick, his protégé, Jazzy, attacks and the Hellking is falling…

…he is introduced to Lily, he is dancing with her, he is kissing her…

…he is entering the secret chamber at the back of the workshop where he’s not allowed, he is sorting through the odd bottles, he is reading labels that have words he has never seen before…

…he is defending Fort Rock from an Apache attack, he firing special bullets that he created from his rifle, he is killing many…

…he is burying Lily…

…he is burying Jazzy…

…he is being overwhelmed by Dr. Destroyer’s forces, he is retreating into a familiar cave, they are following him in…

…darkness collapsed in on him again. Tears crawled down the dusty cheeks of Julius Quinn. He remembered now. God help him, he remembered everything, all at once. The voice was gone, now. He was alone. He sat and wept, the broken arrows still clutched in his frail hands.

Unknown time passed. Thunder rumbled through the chamber again. It was distant but distinct. It was the sound of an explosion. It was the horrible sound of battle. He understood what was happening now. He was running from Destroyer’s minions. They riddled the cave with explosives and collapsed it on top of him. His left leg was crushed, but he was alive. He was trapped inside a mountain with no possible escape, but he was alive. His bow was broken, he had only three arrows, no Golden Elixir, but he was alive. His preternatural luck was straining to keep him alive, but without an escape it would all be in vain. Without his full lab he could not create something to keep him alive much longer, but he still had three arrowheads and whatever alchemical power he could elicit from them. It had no chance of working.

However he was Madstone and defying fate was his job. He extracted the power of a bastardized form of elixir from the Keystone Arrowheads that would place him into a state of dormancy, suspended animation. He could wait in hibernation until rescue came, if it ever would. He spoke his incantations and plunged the glowing spikes into his own chest.

Now the chamber was open, however slightly, and oxygen was slowly stealing into his hidden tomb. Another explosion shook the cave. He could smell the fresh air. He was still weak, but some vigor was starting to return. More explosions came, closer and closer. The cave rattled and rocks cracked. Quinn got to his feet and searched for the opening he knew was there. Bony fingers dug into the loose rock. The wall began to give way. His sheer stubbornness seemed to part the rocks before him. The battle loosened the walls for him. When it was large enough for his thin frame to slip through, Madstone finally escaped from the prison that had detained him for fifty years.

Personality/Motivation.

Madstone is a grizzled old veteran. Growing up in the old west of nineteenth century Nevada, Julius developed a certain sense of honor and responsibility that still guides him today. He won’t fight women, for example, unless he has no choice. Living as long as he has made him a solitary individual. He has buried too many loved ones to allow himself to get close to anyone today. Julius has a tendency to look down on others, seeing them as children. Deep down he sees himself as a guardian or father figure guiding the heroes of today in doing what is right.

Powers/Tactics.

Madstone’s powers derive from the world of alchemy. Julius Quinn has used the powers of alchemy to transform his own body, giving him superhuman dexterity, preternatural luck, and a greatly extended lifespan. His body has become more fragile as a result, a condition exacerbated by his long torpor.

Since Madstone’s return to the dark world of New Destruga he has had to change his tactics drastically. He had to start over. His fortune is gone, his house and his equipment are all gone. His contacts are long deceased. Previously, stealth was a tool. Now it is a way of life. He has changed his primary tools. Instead of a bow he wields a slingshot. It’s a special high tension weapon of his own design. It’s much easier to hide with a slingshot and belt of stones than a bow and a quiver full of arrows. The stones are very special alchemical bundle which he calls Keystones. Madstone has the power to transmute these Keystones into myriad configurations and effects. He can use the Keystones without the slingshot, but he needs the slingshot to use them at range. He is primarily a range fighter, avoiding melee combat if he can.

The background is well-written, quite evocative, and I like it a great deal. It gives Madstone a fascinating tie into a number of simpler times, better times, when the American dream was particularly strong and vibrant. He's a "natural" rebel.

He could also be a natural inspiration to others, a character to remind the younger characters -- particularly those born since the coming of the Shadow -- of what America was, what people were and could be again. I hope he's got a sense of humor!

And alchemy...that was the "mad science" of his day. "Mad science" could be particularly useful for fighting a guerilla war with limited supplies and a real need for surprise tactics. The evolution of Madstone's personal weapon -- longbow to sling, for reasons of concealment -- was also particularly ingenious.

He's flexible and potentially very powerful, but also physically vulnerable. This is a well thought-out character, Log.

The background is well-written, quite evocative, and I like it a great deal. It gives Madstone a fascinating tie into a number of simpler times, better times, when the American dream was particularly strong and vibrant. He's a "natural" rebel.

He could also be a natural inspiration to others, a character to remind the younger characters -- particularly those born since the coming of the Shadow -- of what America was, what people were and could be again. I hope he's got a sense of humor!

And alchemy...that was the "mad science" of his day. "Mad science" could be particularly useful for fighting a guerilla war with limited supplies and a real need for surprise tactics. The evolution of Madstone's personal weapon -- longbow to sling, for reasons of concealment -- was also particularly ingenious.

He's flexible and potentially very powerful, but also physically vulnerable. This is a well thought-out character, Log.

Thanks, Haven! He's a character I've been kicking around for years, but never really got to play. This seemed like the perfect time to dust him off and polish him up for play. (Besides, you had took the tentacle idea... ;) ) Yeah, he's got a sense of humor... but nobody gets it. :D

Here's the first draft of the stats. He's got a couple points left, but I expect there may be changes. He also needs a few points of disads. There's a picture, too. The colors should actually be darker, but I made them brighter here to be seen more easily.

[b]Madstone - Julius Quinn[/b]

[b][u]VAL[/u]   [u]CHA[/u]   [u]Cost[/u]   [u]Total[/u]   [u]Roll[/u]      [u]Notes[/u][/b]
15    STR     5   15      12-       HTH Damage 3d6  END [1]
33    DEX     69   33      16-       OCV 11 DCV 11
20    CON     20   20      13-
10    BODY    0   10      11-
20    INT     10   20      13-       PER Roll 13-
13    EGO     6   13      12-       ECV: 4
18    PRE     8   18      13-       PRE Attack: 3 1/2d6
10    COM     0   10      11-
9    PD      6   9/30             9/30 PD (0/21 rPD)
9    ED      5   9/30             9/30 ED (0/21 rED)
6    SPD     17   6                 Phases:  2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12
7    REC     0   7
40    END     0   40
33    STUN    5   33
7    RUN      2   7"                END [1]
2    SWIM     0   2"                END [1]
4    LEAP     1   4"                4" forward, 2" upward

[b]CHA Cost: 154[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]POWERS[/u][/b]
48     [b][i]Alchemy[/i][/b]: Variable Power Pool, 40 base + 8 control cost,  (60 Active Points); VPP Powers Can Be Changed Only In Alchemy Lab (-1/2); all slots OAF (-1) - END=
      - END=
46     [b][i]Keystones & Slingshot[/i][/b]: Multipower, 62-point reserve, all slots 32 Boostable Keystones (+1/2) (93 Active Points); all slots OAF (Keystone Ammo & High Tension Slingshot; -1) - END=
3u     1)  [b][i]Ashstone[/i][/b]: Darkness to Sight Group 3" radius, Personal Immunity (+1/4), Charge is Continuous for 1 Turn (+3/4) (60 Active Points) - END=0
3u     2)  [b][i]Gravestone[/i][/b]: NND 4d6, NND (LS: No Need to Breathe; +1), Charge is Continuous for 1 minute ((Can be washed off); +1) (60 Active Points) - END=0
3u     3)  [b][i]Gunstone[/i][/b]: EB 12d6 (60 Active Points) - END=0
3u     4)  [b][i]Hailstone[/i][/b]: RKA 2d6, Explosion (+1/2), Armor Piercing (+1/2) (60 Active Points) - END=0
3u     5)  [b][i]Hellstone[/i][/b]: RKA 1d6+1, Charge is Continuous for 1 Turn ((Can be washed off); +3/4), Penetrating (x2; +1) (55 Active Points) - END=0
3u     6)  [b][i]Jackstone[/i][/b]: Drain DEX 4d6 (standard effect: 12 points), Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per 5 Minutes; +1/2) (60 Active Points); Negated by successful Luck roll (-1/4) - END=0
3u     7)  [b][i]Mudstone[/i][/b]: Entangle 4d6, 6 DEF (Stops A Given Sense Group Sight Group) (60 Active Points) - END=0
3u     8)  [b][i]Scythestone[/i][/b]: RKA 3d6+1, +1 Increased STUN Multiplier (+1/4) (62 Active Points) - END=0
3u     9)  [b][i]Silkstone[/i][/b]: Entangle 5d6, 5 DEF, Explosion (+1/2), Nonselective Target (-1/4) (62 Active Points) - END=0
3u     10) [b][i]Wraithstone[/i][/b]: EB 8d6, Affects Desolidified Any form (+1/2) (60 Active Points) - END=0
      - END=
    Paranormal Luck - END=
20     1)  [b][i]Charmed Existence[/i][/b]: Luck 4d6 - END=0
16     2)  [b][i]Haphazard[/i][/b]: +4 with DCV; Activation Roll 15- (-1/4) - END=
24     3)  [b][i]Outrageous Fortune[/i][/b]: +3 Overall; Activation Roll 15- (-1/4) - END=
24     4)  [b][i]Untouchable[/i][/b]: Combat Luck (12 PD/12 ED) - END=
      - END=
    Paraphenalia & Miscellanea - END=
2     1)  [b][i]Ancient Blood[/i][/b]: LS  (Longevity: 400 Years) - END=0
7     2)  [b][i]Philosopher's Stone[/i][/b]: Variable Special Effects (Limited Group of SFX; Elemental & Chemical; +1/4) for up to 70 Active Points of Madstones (17 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (x3 END; -1), Incantations (-1/4) - END=6
4     3)  [b][i]Pommel Strike[/i][/b]: HA +2d6; OAF (Slingshot; -1), H-to-H Attack (-1/2) - END=1
18     4)  [b][i]Reinforced Uniform[/i][/b]: Armor (9 PD/9 ED); OIF (-1/2) - END=0
5     5)  [b][i]Swingline[/i][/b]: Swinging 11"; OAF (-1) - END=1
      - END=

[b]POWERS Cost: 244[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]MARTIAL ARTS[/u][/b]
     Brawling
4      1)  Punch/ Backhand Strike:  1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +2 DCV, 5d6 Strike
3      2)  Throw:  1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +1 DCV, 3d6 +v/5, Target Falls
4      3)  Block:  1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, Block, Abort
1      4)  Weapon Element:  Clubs
     Catapultry
3      1)  Defensive Shot:  1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, +2 DCV, Range +0, Strike
4      2)  Quick Shot:  1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, +0 DCV, Range +0, Strike, +2 DC
4      3)  Ranged Disarm:  1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, Range +0, Disarm, +3 DC to Disarm

[b]MARTIAL ARTS Cost: 23[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]SKILLS[/u][/b]
12      +4 with Slingshots
3      Breakfall 16-
3      Climbing 16-
5      Cramming 
3      Deduction 13-
3      Fast Draw 16-
3      Interrogation 13-
3      Inventor 13-
5      Power:  (Alchemy) 14-
3      Scholar
3      1)  KS: Alchemy 14-
2      2)  KS: Arcane and Occult Lore 13-
1      3)  KS: Archaeology 11-
2      4)  KS: Glassblowing 13-
2      5)  KS: Herbalism 13-
3      Scientist
1      1)  SS:  Biochemistry 11-
2      2)  SS:  Chemistry 13-
1      3)  SS:  Physics 11-
3      Shadowing 13-
3      Stealth 16-
3      Streetwise 13-
2      Survival (Desert) 13-

[b]SKILLS Cost: 71[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]PERKS[/u][/b]
3      Money:  Well Off
3      Anonymity

[b]PERKS Cost: 6[/b]

[b][u]Value[/u]  [u]DISADVANTAGES[/u][/b]
5     Distinctive Features:  'Gunslinger' Beard (Easily Concealed; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)
5     Distinctive Features:  Preternatural (Not Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable Only By Unusual Senses)
10     Mystery Disadvantage
15     Psychological Limitation:  Curious (Common, Strong)
15     Psychological Limitation:  Moody (Common, Strong)
15     Psychological Limitation:  Sees others as children (Very Common, Moderate)
15     Psychological Limitation:  Stubborn (Common, Strong)
5     Social Limitation:  Cigar smoker (Occasionally, Minor)
10     Social Limitation:  Fear of Commitment (Occasionally, Major)
15     Social Limitation:  Secret Identity (Julius Quinn) (Frequently, Major)
5     Unluck: 1d6
10     Vulnerability:  1 1/2 x Effect From Hallucinogenic/Psychotropic Drugs (Common)
10     Vulnerability:  2 x Effect Emotion Based Attacks (Uncommon)

[b]DISADVANTAGES Points: 135[/b]

Base Pts: 350
Exp Required: 13
Total Exp Available: 0
Exp Unspent: 0
Total Character Cost: 498

Seline - Vampire

I posted the background and links to the .hdc files (multi-form: http://www.herogames.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1347170&postcount=33 ) but here's text:

SELINE (GREATER VAMPIRE)

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

30 STR 20 15- Lift 1600.0kg; 6d6 [3]

30 DEX 60 15- OCV: 10/DCV: 10

20 CON 20 13-

18 BODY 16 13-

18 INT 8 13- PER Roll 15-

20 EGO 20 13- ECV: 7

25 PRE 15 14- PRE Attack: 5d6

22 COM 6 13-

10 PD 4 Total: 10 PD (0 rPD)

6 ED 2 Total: 6 ED (0 rED)

6 SPD 20 Phases: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12

10 REC 0

40 END 0

43 STUN 0 Total Characteristic Cost: 191

Movement: Running: 6"/12"

Leaping: 6"/12"

Swimming: 2"/4"

Cost Powers END

Undead body

13 1) Hard To Slay: Healing 1 BODY, Resurrection (others can stop resurrection by burning the body, driving a stake through the vampire's heart, or cutting off its head and filling its mouth with holy wafers), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (60 Active Points); Extra Time (Regeneration-Only) 1 Day (-2 3/4), Self Only (-1/2), Resurrection Only (-1/2)

27 2) No Reflection (can't be photographed, etc): Invisibility to Sight Group , No Fringe, Inherent (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (67 Active Points); Only invisible to reflection and mechanical sensors Power loses about half of its effectiveness (-1), Always On (-1/2)

47 3) Undead Vitality: Life Support (Immunity All terrestrial diseases and biowarfare agents; Immunity All terrestrial poisons and chemical warfare agents; Longevity Immortal; Safe in High Pressure; Safe in High Radiation; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat; Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum; Self-Contained Breathing; Sleeping Character does not sleep)

5 4) Vampire's Eyes: Nightvision

6 5) Vampire's Senses: +2 PER with All Sense Groups

105 Vampire Powers: Multipower, 105-point reserve

5u 1) Call Dark Creatures: Summon 32 90-point wolves, rats, or bats, Expanded Class of Beings Very Limited Group (+1/4), Slavishly Devoted (+1) (97 Active Points); Arrives Under Own Power (-1/2), Summoned Being Must Inhabit Locale (-1/2) 10

9u 2) Claws: HKA 4d6 (6d6 w/STR), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (90 Active Points)

2u 3) Create Vampire: Major Transform 1d6 ((humans into lesser vampires, heals back through special exorcisms and holy rituals), special exorcisms and holy rituals), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Uncontrolled (+1/2), Continuous (+1), Penetrating (x4; +2) (75 Active Points); Gradual Effect (1 Day ( actually 3 days); -1 3/4), Must Drain All But 1 BODY Of Victim's Blood With Drink Blood, Then Have Him Drink 1/2d6 BODY'S Worth Of Vampire's Blood (-1), No Range (-1/2), Limited Target Humans (-1/2)

4u 4) Drink Blood: (Total: 105 Active Cost, 45 Real Cost) RKA 1/2d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), NND (defense is not having blood or protective skin or equipment too thick to bite through) ([standard]; +1), Does BODY (+1), Continuous (+1) (45 Active Points); No Range (-1/2), Fangs Must Do BODY First Power does not work in Common Circumstances (-1/2), -2 Decreased STUN Multiplier (-1/2) (Real Cost: 18) plus Healing BODY 1d6, Can Heal Limbs, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Decreased Re-use Duration (1 Turn; +1 1/2) (45 Active Points); Only while drinking blood; max body healed: body damage to victim (-1/2), Self Only (-1/2) (Real Cost: 22) plus Mind Control 1d6, Cumulative (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Penetrating (x2; +1) (15 Active Points); No Range (-1/2), Set Effect Only to create intense pleasure and euphoria (-1/2), Stops Working If Mentalist Is Stunned (-1/2), Only while drinking blood Power does not work in Common Circumstances (-1/2) (Real Cost: 5)

1u 5) Fangs: HKA 1 point (1/2d6 w/STR), Penetrating (x4; +2) (15 Active Points) 1

7u 6) Hypnotic Gaze: Mind Control 14d6, Telepathic (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (105 Active Points); Eye Contact Required (-1/2) 4

10u 7) Mist Wolf Forms: Multiform (assume 350-point Mist and Wolf Form) (500 Character Points in the most expensive form) (x2 Number Of Forms) (105 Active Points)

Skills

40 +5 with All Combat

3 Acting 14-

5 Animal Handler (Canines, Equines, Other Rodent, Raptors) 14-

3 Climbing 15-

3 Concealment 13-

3 High Society 14-

0 Language: English (idiomatic; literate) (5 Active Points)

3 Riding 15-

5 Seduction 15-

3 Stealth 15-

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 309

Total Cost: 500

350+ Disadvantages

20 Distinctive Features: Invisible to reflections and all other mechanical sensors Not Concealable, Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction, Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses

10 Physical Limitation: Cannot Enter A Dwelling Without Invitation (Infrequently, Greatly Impairing)

10 Psychological Limitation: Bound By Duty (Common, Moderate)

10 Psychological Limitation: Capricious and Playful (Common, Moderate)

10 Psychological Limitation: Considers Humanity Cattle Common, Moderate

10 Psychological Limitation: Curious (Common, Moderate)

25 Susceptibility: when in contact with holy objects and places 2d6 damage per Phase Common

35 Susceptibility: to direct sunlight 2d6 damage per Segment Very Common

10 Vulnerability: 2x STUN Wood Attacks Uncommon

10 Vulnerability: 2x BODY Wood Attacks Uncommon

Total Disadvantage Points: 500

Background/History: Seline has no past before 'the event' which transformed the Earth (some parts of it more then others); her first memory is that day. She surmises that she was either transformed from some previous existence, possibly as a human woman, or created from whole clothe on that day. She is sure that in either case, it was the tremendous power of Takafanes which caused her current existence, apparently an inadvertant side effect of the cataclysmic power of the magic he employed that day. She hasn't aged a day since then.

Personality/Motivation: Seline sees herself as a sort of farmer, practicing animal husbandry upon her livestock, the human race. She cares for humans as precious resources, and avoids killing them when it's not too inconvenient. She greatly opposes the goals of The Collective, The Pains of the Dead, the Black Reaches, and anyone else who would cause the human race to become unpalatable. She has only been a vampire for about sixty years, and has avoided creating any fellow vampires, though she is aware that she can.

Humans fascinate her; she could watch them for hours. She doesn't really enjoy interacting with them all that much, but she loves to watch them go about their lives. She has over the years tried her hand at encouraging some humans to mate and produce offspring in an attempt to improve the breed, mostly for taste.

Seline will ally herself with humans trying to defend humanity as a race for her own existence's sake. She will ally with humans trying to resist injustice and fight for freedom out of a sense of curiosity. She finds repressive police states to be boring; less variety among the humans. Freedom creates much more interesting variety, in her opinion. Out and out anarchy seems to quickly turn into repressive tyranny, however, and she does not support it.

Quote: I? Oh I am a friend. Just a friend. You would not want to be more then that.

Powers/Tactics: Seline is at heart an observer, a spy. She can do some damage in a sudden, suprise attack, but is not suited to a stand up fight. She likes to collect secrets, and she likes to release rather then horde them, at strategic times for maximum entertainment effect.

Campaign Use:

Appearance: Seline is tall and thin with fair pale skin and dark brown long straight hair and dark brown hypnotic eyes and an unearthly beauty about her.

Seline (mist)

SELINE (MIST)

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

-10 STR -20 7- Lift 6.3kg; -2d6

10 DEX 0 11- OCV: 3/DCV: 3

20 CON 20 13-

18 BODY 16 13-

18 INT 8 13- PER Roll 15-

10 COM 0 11-

6 PD 6 Total: 6 PD (0 rPD)

6 ED 2 Total: 6 ED (0 rED)

4 SPD 20 Phases: 3, 6, 9, 12

4 REC 0

40 END 0

28 STUN 0 Total Characteristic Cost: 73

Movement:

Flight: 7"/14"

Cost Powers END

Undead body

13 1) Hard To Slay: Healing 1 BODY, Resurrection (others can stop resurrection by burning the body, driving a stake through the vampire's heart, or cutting off its head and filling its mouth with holy wafers), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +½), Persistent (+½) (60 Active Points); Extra Time (Regeneration-Only) 1 Day (-2 ¾), Self Only (-½), Resurrection Only (-½)

47 2) Undead Vitality: Life Support (Immunity All terrestrial diseases and biowarfare agents; Immunity All terrestrial poisons and chemical warfare agents; Longevity Immortal; Safe in High Pressure; Safe in High Radiation; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat; Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum; Self-Contained Breathing; Sleeping Character does not sleep)

5 3) Vampire's Eyes: Nightvision

6 4) Vampire's Senses: +2 PER with All Sense Groups

Mist Powers (not an EC, just a list)

65 1) Mist 'Body': Desolidification (affected by affected by wind, heat, or cold), Inherent (+¼), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +½), Persistent (+½), Invisible Power Effects (Fully Invisible; +1) (130 Active Points); Cannot Pass Through Solid Objects (-½), Always On (-½)

35 2) Flight 7", Reduced Endurance (0 END; +½), Invisible Power Effects (Fully Invisible; +1) (35 Active Points)

72 3) I'm just a little black rain cloud, pay no attention to me: Invisibility to Sight, Hearing, Smell/Taste and Mental Groups and Detect , No Fringe, Inherent (+¼), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +½), Persistent (+½) (108 Active Points); Always On (-½)

Skills

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 243

Total Cost: 316

200+ Disadvantages

20 Distinctive Features: Invisible to reflections and all other mechanical sensors Not Concealable, Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction, Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses

10 Physical Limitation: Cannot Enter A Dwelling Without Invitation (Infrequently, Greatly Impairing)

25 Susceptibility: when in contact with holy objects and places 2d6 damage per Phase Common

10 Vulnerability: 2x STUN Fire Attacks Uncommon

10 Vulnerability: 2x BODY FireAttacks Uncommon

Total Disadvantage Points: 316

Background/History: Seline has no past before 'the event' which transformed the Earth (some parts of it more then others); her first memory is that day. She surmises that she was either transformed from some previous existence, possibly as a human woman, or created from whole clothe on that day. She is sure that in either case, it was the tremendous power of Takafanes which caused her current existence, apparently an inadvertant side effect of the cataclysmic power of the magic he employed that day. She hasn't aged a day since then.

Personality/Motivation: Seline sees herself as a sort of farmer, practicing animal husbandry upon her livestock, the human race. She cares for humans as precious resources, and avoids killing them when it's not too inconvenient. She greatly opposes the goals of The Collective, The Pains of the Dead, the Black Reaches, and anyone else who would cause the human race to become unpalatable. She has only been a vampire for about sixty years, and has avoided creating any fellow vampires, though she is aware that she can.

Humans fascinate her; she could watch them for hours. She doesn't really enjoy interacting with them all that much, but she loves to watch them go about their lives. She has over the years tried her hand at encouraging some humans to mate and produce offspring in an attempt to improve the breed, mostly for taste.

Seline will ally herself with humans trying to defend humanity as a race for her own existence's sake. She will ally with humans trying to resist injustice and fight for freedom out of a sense of curiosity. She finds repressive police states to be boring; less variety among the humans. Freedom creates much more interesting variety, in her opinion. Out and out anarchy seems to quickly turn into repressive tyranny, however, and she does not support it.

Quote: I? Oh I am a friend. Just a friend. You would not want to be more then that.

Powers/Tactics: Seline is at heart an observer, a spy. She can do some damage in a sudden, suprise attack, but is not suited to a stand up fight. She likes to collect secrets, and she likes to release rather then horde them, at strategic times for maximum entertainment effect.

Campaign Use:

Appearance: Seline is tall and thin with an unearthly beauty about her.

COMBAT INFORMATION

Base OCV 3 Base DCV 3

Adjustments +/- Adjustments +/-

___________ ____ ________ ____

___________ ____ ________ ____

Total OCV ____ Total DCV ____

Combat Skill Levels:

COMBAT MODIFIERS

Range 0-4 5-8 9-16 17-32 33-64 65-128

RMOD 0 -2 -4 -6 -8 -10

Targeting Shot OCV Hit Location

Head shot (Head to Shoulders) -4 1d6+3

High shot (Head to Vitals) -2 2d6+1

Body shot (Hands to Legs) -1 2d6+4

Low shot (Shoulders to Feet) -2 2d6+7

Leg shot (Vitals to Feet) -4 1d6+12

HIT LOCATION CHART

STUN NOR BODY To Defense

Roll Location X STUN X Hit Weight

3-5 Head x5 x2 x2 -8 __ / __

6 Hands x1 x½ x½ -6 __ / __

7-8 Arms x2 x½ x½ -5 __ / __

9 Shoulders x3 x1 x1 -5 __ / __

10-11 Chest x3 x1 x1 -3 __ / __

12 Stomach x4 x1.5 x1 -7 __ / __

13 Vitals x4 x1.5 x2 -8 __ / __

14 Thighs x2 x1 x1 -4 __ / __

15-16 Legs x2 x½ x½ -6 __ / __

17-18 Feet x1 x½ x½ -8 __ / __

Average Def ______

DCV Modifier ___ Total Weight 0.00 lbs

DEFENSES

Amount Defense SFX

Physical Defense 6 ___________

Resistant Physical Defense 0 ___________

Energy Defense 6 ___________

Resistant Energy Defense 0 ___________

Mental Defense 0 ___________

Flash Defense (________) ______ ___________

Power Defense 0 ___________

COMBAT MANEUVERS

Maneuver Phase OCV DCV Effect

Block ½ +0 +0 Block, abort

Brace 0 +2 ½ +2 vs. Range Mod.

Disarm ½ -2 +0 Can disarm

Dodge ½ — +3 Abort, vs. all attacks

Grab ½ -1 -2 Grab two limbs

Grab By ½ -3 -4 Move and Grab

Haymaker ½* +0 -5 x1.5 attack damage

Move By ½ -2 -2 STR/2 + v/5

Move Through ½ -v/5 -3 STR + v/3

Set 1 +1 +0 ranged attacks only

Strike ½ +0 +0 STR or weapon

ATTACKS

Primary attack power

Secondary attack power 1d6

Tertiary attack power

Attack SFX

Other attack SFX _______________

DAMAGE AND CHARGE TRACKER

STUN (28) ❑❑❑❑❑❑❑❑❑❑ ❑❑❑❑❑❑❑❑❑❑ ❑❑❑❑❑❑❑❑❑❑ ❑❑❑❑❑❑❑❑❑❑ ❑❑❑❑❑❑❑❑❑❑

❑❑❑❑❑❑❑❑❑❑ ❑❑❑❑❑❑❑❑❑❑ ❑❑❑❑❑❑❑❑❑❑ ❑❑❑❑❑❑❑❑❑❑ ❑❑❑❑❑❑❑❑❑❑

END (40) ❑❑❑❑❑❑❑❑❑❑ ❑❑❑❑❑❑❑❑❑❑ ❑❑❑❑❑❑❑❑❑❑ ❑❑❑❑❑❑❑❑❑❑ ❑❑❑❑❑❑❑❑❑❑

❑❑❑❑❑❑❑❑❑❑ ❑❑❑❑❑❑❑❑❑❑ ❑❑❑❑❑❑❑❑❑❑ ❑❑❑❑❑❑❑❑❑❑ ❑❑❑❑❑❑❑❑❑❑

BODY (18) ❑❑❑❑❑ ❑❑❑❑❑ ❑❑❑❑❑

❑❑❑❑❑ ❑❑❑❑❑ ❑❑❑❑❑

CHARGES ❑❑❑ ❑❑❑ ❑❑❑ ❑❑❑ ❑❑❑ ❑❑❑ ❑❑❑ ❑❑❑ ❑❑❑

CHARGES ❑❑❑❑ ❑❑❑❑ ❑❑❑❑ ❑❑❑❑ ❑❑❑❑ ❑❑❑❑ ❑❑❑❑ ❑❑❑❑ ❑❑❑❑

CHARGES ❑❑❑❑❑ ❑❑❑❑❑ ❑❑❑❑❑ ❑❑❑❑❑ ❑❑❑❑❑ ❑❑❑❑❑ ❑❑❑❑❑ ❑❑❑❑❑ ❑❑❑❑❑

Seline (wolf)

SELINE (WOLF)

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

10 STR 0 11- Lift 100.0kg; 2d6

17 DEX 21 12- OCV: 6/DCV: 6

20 CON 20 13-

18 BODY 16 13-

18 INT 8 13- PER Roll 16-/22-

22 COM 6 13-

8 PD 6 Total: 8 PD (1 rPD)

6 ED 2 Total: 6 ED (1 rED)

4 SPD 13 Phases: 3, 6, 9, 12

6 REC 0

40 END 0

33 STUN 0 Total Characteristic Cost: 126

Movement: Running: 9"/18"

Leaping: 2"/4"

Swimming: 1"/2"

Cost Powers END

Undead body

13 1) Hard To Slay: Healing 1 BODY, Resurrection (others can stop resurrection by burning the body, driving a stake through the vampire's heart, or cutting off its head and filling its mouth with holy wafers), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +½), Persistent (+½) (60 Active Points); Extra Time (Regeneration-Only) 1 Day (-2 ¾), Self Only (-½), Resurrection Only (-½)

47 2) Undead Vitality: Life Support (Immunity All terrestrial diseases and biowarfare agents; Immunity All terrestrial poisons and chemical warfare agents; Longevity Immortal; Safe in High Pressure; Safe in High Radiation; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat; Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum; Self-Contained Breathing; Sleeping Character does not sleep)

5 3) Vampire's Eyes: Nightvision

6 4) Vampire's Senses: +2 PER with All Sense Groups

Wolf Powers (Not an EC, just a list)

8 1) Bite: HKA ½d6 (1d6+1 w/STR) (10 Active Points); Reduced Penetration (-¼) 1

6 2) Swift: Running +3" (9" total) 1

1 3) Tough Skin: Damage Resistance (1 PD/1 ED)

3 4) Wolf Senses: +1 PER with All Sense Groups but Sight Group

5 5) Wolf's Eyes: Nightvision

6 6) Wolf's Nose: +3 PER with Smell/Taste Group

5 7) Wolf's Nose: Tracking with Normal Smell

6 8) Wolf's Ears: +3 PER with Hearing Group

3 9) Wolf's Ears: Ultrasonic Perception (Hearing Group) (Hearing Group)

48 Call Dark Creatures: Summon 32 90-point wolves, rats, or bats, Expanded Class of Beings Very Limited Group (+¼), Slavishly Devoted (+1) (97 Active Points); Arrives Under Own Power (-½), Summoned Being Must Inhabit Locale (-½) 10

Skills

40 +5 with All Combat

3 Acting 14-

5 Animal Handler (Canines, Equines, Other Rodents, Raptors) 14-

3 Concealment 13-

3 High Society 14-

5 Seduction 15-

3 Stealth 12-

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 224

Total Cost: 350

200+ Disadvantages

15 Physical Limitation: Poor Eyesight, suffers -2 to all Sight PER Rolls Frequently, Greatly Impairing

15 Physical Limitation: Very Limited Manipulation Frequently, Greatly Impairing

10 Vulnerability: 2x STUN Wood Attacks Uncommon

10 Vulnerability: 2x BODY Wood Attacks Uncommon

Total Disadvantage Points: 350

Campaign Use:

Appearance: Seline is tall and thin with an unearthly beauty about her.

It's a bar -- one of the seediest -- deep in the coils of the VIPER. Cal has the air of a man who doesn't remember why he's drinking, though he does remember it's awful convenient how he keeps finding himself in VIPER bars on this particular day of the year.

They're staring at him. It could be something to do with the broken shards of beer mug scattered around their table. And where did his mug go? That's the thing about VIPER agents. They always stare at you before blaster fire starts blowing past your head with alarming pinpoint inaccuracy.

Cal gets up, hands up, making placatory gestures. "Hey fella's. That weren't nothin' but an accident. We," he's alone, but 'we' sounds more polite, "don't want any trouble. Here. Let me buy you nice gentsh a round," he tells, swaggering less than staggering their way. Currency jangles in his pocket.

Still staring. The scraping of chairs on the peanut-shell-strewn floor. All five of them standing up. One reaches for a sidearm. Another grins and waves it off, knowing that in his armored suit he's more than a match for an unarmed drunk with enough cash to think he can buy his way out of a beating.

It's a long fight, all captured on the bar's surveillance system, complete with a time log on every frame. The agents get in a disproportionate number of good blows -- which being five on one is only to be expected -- before they get carried away and toss Cal out the greasy and ineffectual front window. That pretty much ends the fight, since none of them is crazy about leaving the cool of the room for the harsh conditions outside. Fighting, for them, ought to build a thirst, not a sweat.

So, when at the exact same time as the security camera log reads, three hundred miles away in a secure VIPER installation a dozen prisoners disappear, Cal has an airtight alibi.

Which, as it turns out, he needs to have. Of course, no one could have foreseen that they'd have needed an alibi, so Cal seems as surprised as anyone when he is picked up, questioned, and then released because one of the VIPER agents from the bar happens to recognize him.

Handy things, the ability to look into the future and bring images (say, of an electronic clock in a surveillance camera) out of time.

He'll have to think of something else in a year, in case VIPER notices they always lose prisoners on that same date.

Definitely like Madstone's background, and his writeup is good too... it occurs to me that, as written, without his VPP factoring in, he's a *smidge* underpowered offensively, but he's got variety (and I suppose it's always possible to do an Aid to his Madstone powers in his Pool....)

I'm currently working on a sample NPC so folks can judge about what power level I'm looking at... he's another 'hero,' after a fashion, but the particulars of his existence aren't really known all that well. He's a bit more 'V' than Superman.

Anywho, off to look at Selene's writeup and try finishing the Whistler's....

Selene: Sounds good to me. I'm assuming that future power jumps would probably be connected to unlocking further vampiric powers and memories of what she could do before?

The one thing that jumps right out at me, BTW, is that her defenses in all but her Mist form are pretty anemic... she might well spend a lot of time recovering and/or unconscious unless she slots those levels right into DCV most of the time.

Definitely like Madstone's background, and his writeup is good too... it occurs to me that, as written, without his VPP factoring in, he's a *smidge* underpowered offensively, but he's got variety (and I suppose it's always possible to do an Aid to his Madstone powers in his Pool....)

I'm currently working on a sample NPC so folks can judge about what power level I'm looking at... he's another 'hero,' after a fashion, but the particulars of his existence aren't really known all that well. He's a bit more 'V' than Superman.

Anywho, off to look at Selene's writeup and try finishing the Whistler's....

I was concerned about the offense level. His charges are boostable which helps some, but if they need to be boosted every shot then there's a problem. An NPC to benchmark from would be great. i can still shuffle points around pretty easily. thanks!

[b]The Whistler - Unknown[/b][/font][/size]
[font=Courier New][size=2] [/size][/font]
[size=2][font=Courier New][b][u]VAL[/u]   [u]CHA[/u]   [u]Cost[/u]   [u]Total[/u]   [u]Roll[/u]      [u]Notes[/u][/b][/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]25    STR     15   25      14-       HTH Damage 5d6  END [2][/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]30    DEX     60   30      15-       OCV 10 DCV 10[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]20    CON     20   20      13-[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]18    BODY    16   18      13-[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]25    INT     15   25      14-       PER Roll 14-[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]20    EGO     20   20      13-       ECV: 7[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]25    PRE     15   25/35      14- / 16-       PRE Attack: 5d6 / 7d6[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]12    COM     1   12      11-[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]12    PD      7   12/35             12/35 PD (0/23 rPD)[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]10    ED      6   10/33             10/33 ED (0/23 rED)[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]6    SPD     20   6                 Phases:  2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]12    REC     6   12[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]50    END     5   50[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]60    STUN    19   60[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]10    RUN      8   10"                END [2][/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]2    SWIM     0   2"                END [1][/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]8    LEAP     3   8"                8" forward, 4" upward[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New][b]CHA Cost: 236[/b][/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New][b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]POWERS[/u][/b][/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]30     [b][i]Destreum Reinforced Bodysuit[/i][/b]: Armor (15 PD/15 ED) (45 Active Points); OIF (-1/2) - END=0[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]17     [b][i]Preternatural Reflexes:  Just a scratch[/i][/b]: Armor (8 PD/8 ED), Hardened (+1/4) (30 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about a fourth of its effectiveness (Always lets 1 Body, 1 Stun through first (applies last); -1/4), Nonpersistent (-1/4), Limited Power Power loses about a fourth of its effectiveness (Must be Aware of Attack; -1/4) - END=0[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]8     [b][i]Determination and Good Gear[/i][/b]: Power Defense (8 points) - END=0[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]10     [b][i]Iron Will[/i][/b]: Mental Defense (14 points total) - END=0[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]5     [b][i]Duster[/i][/b]: Lack Of Weakness (-4) for Normal Defense, Also affects RDef (+1) (8 Active Points); OIF (-1/2) - END=0[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]6     [b][i]A Growing Rep[/i][/b]: +10 PRE (10 Active Points); Limited Power Attacks Only (-1/2), Incantations ((Whistle); -1/4) - END=[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]45     [b][i]Weapons and Gear[/i][/b]: Multipower, 90-point reserve,  (90 Active Points); all slots OAF (-1) - END=[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]4u     1)  [b][i]Modified Blast Pistol[/i][/b]: Energy Blast 18d6, 4 clips of 8 Charges (+0) (90 Active Points); OAF (-1) - END=[8][/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]3u     2)  [b][i]Smoke Grenades laced with jamming particles[/i][/b]: Darkness to Sight and Radio Groups 5" radius, 8 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Turn each (+0) (55 Active Points); OAF (-1) - END=[8 cc][/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]4u     3)  [b][i]Flash-Bangs[/i][/b]: Sight and Hearing Groups Flash 11d6, Explosion (+1/2) (90 Active Points); OAF (-1) - END=9[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]3u     4)  [b][i]Destreum Throwing Blades[/i][/b]: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 3d6-1 (3d6+1 w/STR), Range Based On STR (+1/4), Armor Piercing (x2; +1) (90 Active Points); OAF (-1), 4 Recoverable Charges (-1/2), No Knockback (-1/4) - END=[4 rc][/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New][b]POWERS Cost: 135[/b][/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New][b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]MARTIAL ARTS[/u][/b][/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]      Destrugan Paramilitary Training[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]4      1)  Martial Block:  1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, Block, Abort[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]4      2)  Martial Dodge:  1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +5 DCV, Dodge, Affects All Attacks, Abort[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]4      3)  Martial Strike:  1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +2 DCV, 7d6 Strike[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]5      4)  Offensive Strike:  1/2 Phase, -2 OCV, +1 DCV, 9d6 Strike[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]5      5)  Takeaway:  1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, Grab Weapon, 35 STR to take weapon away[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]3      6)  Legsweep:  1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, -1 DCV, 6d6 Strike, Target Falls[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New][b]MARTIAL ARTS Cost: 25[/b][/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New][b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]SKILLS[/u][/b][/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]3      Acrobatics 15-[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]3      Acting 14- (16-)[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]3      Breakfall 15-[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]3      Bureaucratics 14- (16-)[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]3      Climbing 15-[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]3      Combat Driving 15-[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]3      Concealment 14-[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]3      Contortionist 15-[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]3      Deduction 14-[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]10      Defense Maneuver I-IV [/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]3      Interrogation 14- (16-)[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]3      KS: Destrugan Tactics 14-[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]3      Tactics 14-[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]3      Stealth 15-[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]3      Sleight Of Hand 15-[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]3      Streetwise 14- (16-)[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]16      +2 with All Combat[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New][b]SKILLS Cost: 71[/b][/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New][b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]TALENTS[/u][/b][/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]22      Danger Sense (self only, out of combat, Function as a Sense) 14-[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]5      Eidetic Memory[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]6      Lightning Reflexes: +4 DEX to act first with All Actions[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New][b]TALENTS Cost: 33[/b][/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New][b][u]Value[/u]  [u]DISADVANTAGES[/u][/b][/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]15     Reputation:  Terrorist (known to Destrugan military and on an 8- with civilians), 14- (Extreme;  Known Only To A Small Group)[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]20     Social Limitation:  Secret ID (many enemies) (Frequently, Severe)[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]     Psych Lims[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]15     1)  Ego Signature:  The Whistle:  (Common, Strong)[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]20     2)  Messiah Complex:  (Common, Total)[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]15     3)  Mysterious and Enigmatic:  (Common, Strong)[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]15     4)  Never Lets Anyone Get Close:  (Common, Strong)[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]15     5)  Not Above Using Dirty Tricks:  (Common, Strong)[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]15     Hunted:  Concerned Citizen Groups 8- (As Pow, NCI, Harshly Punish)[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]20     Dependent NPC:  His own neighborhood 8- (Incompetent; Unaware of character's adventuring career/Secret ID) [Notes: Included in Hunted, incidentally.][/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New][b]DISADVANTAGES Points: 150[/b][/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]Base Pts: 350[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]Exp Required: 0[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]Total Exp Available: 0[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]Exp Unspent: 0[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]Total Character Cost: 500[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]

Background: "They say he's been attacking the Guard!"

"Are you kidding? If anybody did that, they'd have razed the whole block...."

"Yeah, but they want to be sure they get the guy first... he might be from another block, so they don't want to take the chance too soon. Especially since he's got powers too... they're calling him the Whistler, 'cause word is he whistles just before he goes down to kick the guards around."

"Okay, now I know you're shitting me. First off, they wouldn't wait. Second, why the Hell would some lunatic go around doing that sort of stuff, knowing he's just gonna get himself, his Block, and everywhere he's worked killed off? Nobody's that nuts."

"Hey, it's just what I'm hearing... I mean, what if it's real? And what if -"

"And what if you just shut up before somebody hears you and we get in trouble, huh?"

The conversation came to an end, a man from further down the bar paying his bill and getting up, walking out. As he left, he pursed his lips, whistling a brief tune he'd come up with weeks before. As he continued down the street, he smiled inwardly.

He was sure he'd heard it, in the back of their voices... the hint that at least one of them was impressed. That hint was what he needed... he needed it to spread too. People who were impressed by what he was doing, who saw it as more than a risky stunt. People who could get the message he was sending... that they *could* fight back, against the Destroyer and his forces.

The Whistler slipped into an alley, taking a shortcut back towards his apartment... one that he was sure would take him near his favorite hunting grounds on the way.

Personality/Motivation: Unknown. The Whistler, to most of the limited public that knows about him, is a complete enigma. The state-sanctioned media doesn't talk about him (doesn't even know about him, thanks to the editing of their higher-ups.) The people who *do* know about him are split between thinking he's some sort of terrorist, being terrified that he's going to end up getting them all killed for his actions, or maybe, just *maybe*, looking forward to the possibility that he'll make a difference.

Still... if anybody knew who he was, odds are on favorite that he'd quickly find himself in the hands of New Destruga's police forces... so he stays in the shadows, doing his work with no warning but a softly whistled tune....

Appearance: The Whistler wears a black face mask and body-suit, reinforced with Destreum plates taken from the armor of fallen guardsmen. This is covered with a black leather duster that helps conceal his movements and exact position. Nothing else is known about his actual appearance, name, or even actual height and weight (the above numbers are based on his bulked-out costume and witness reports.)

Log: Agreed that offense is the main concern with Madstone.

Reference for The Whistler: If anybody wants to work him into their background or character, let me know and I'll work with you on it privately. As for his writeup... I'll admit that he suffers a bit from the "Build By Jason" disadvantage that Hero Games has yet to put into the core rulebook; I don't know that his design is all *that* effective, but he should be capable of going up against most threats that I envision a single hero going up against, without being utterly thrashed by the things that should be difficult without being imposible.

Well, thus far I think I really like the feel of the setting. Where will you be hosting the game? (HC?)

Heres a quick concept for what I'd play.

Name: Alex Lynn aka. The Black Piper

Personality: Honorable (honor isn’t about making the right choices; it’s about living with the consequences), and Vindictive (actively punishes those who break their honor) as well, Alex is a contradiction to most people. On the one hand he practices an admittedly dark art. But if one we’re to meet him on the street they would find him to be a cheery and optimistic fellow. Granted he is prone to shyness, but he’s also incredibly strong-willed and tough.

Bio: Growing up is hard, but it’s even harder in The Plains of the Dead. Alex was born and spent the first 16 years of his life in that hellhole, he and his family lived a nomadic life, scavenging what they could from graveyards. Ironically it was often the only place not filled with corpses (walking or otherwise).

Even so, as a child Alex certainly seemed to carry with him the favor of the dead. Even before he learned to compel the dead with music they seemed to rise to his defense.

At the age of Eleven Alex was sold to a necromancer in exchange for the lives of his family (who were later killed anyway). Four years of hell later, the troubled youth successfully fled to Europa and began a surprisingly successful musical career there under the nickname he’d earned in the Plains: “The Black Piper”. For the most part that’s where he’s stayed ever since, simply trying to survive and live a decent life.

Power: Alex can enthrall the dead with his music, command their spirits, and reanimate their corpses. Most often Alex uses his power to summon long-gone spirits to defend him or strike down his enemies.

Unlike most ‘necromancers’ Alex maintains a good reputation with the spirits he calls to his aid, and has never broken his word to them or forced them to obey his will (though he can)

Distinctive Features: All of his instruments are crafted from body-parts (ex: flutes carved from bone). The strangest feature of his music is that sometimes only those targeted by it’s effects can hear it (and they can hear it above all other sounds).

Definitely like Madstone's background' date=' and his writeup is good too... it occurs to me that, as written, without his VPP factoring in, he's a *smidge* underpowered offensively, but he's got variety (and I suppose it's always possible to do an Aid to his Madstone powers in his Pool....)....[/quote']

I've made some adjustments. It's a 75 point multipower pool now, still boostable. Changed the luck powers a bit, too. Now I see HC is up, I'll send Madstone over there, too! :thumbup:

[b]Madstone - Julius Quinn[/b]

[b][u]VAL[/u]   [u]CHA[/u]   [u]Cost[/u]   [u]Total[/u]   [u]Roll[/u]      [u]Notes[/u][/b]
15    STR     5   15      12-       HTH Damage 3d6  END [1]
33    DEX     69   33      16-       OCV 11 DCV 11
20    CON     20   20      13-
10    BODY    0   10      11-
20    INT     10   20      13-       PER Roll 13-
13    EGO     6   13      12-       ECV: 4
18    PRE     8   18      13-       PRE Attack: 3 1/2d6
10    COM     0   10      11-
9    PD      6   9/30             9/30 PD (0/21 rPD)
9    ED      5   9/30             9/30 ED (0/21 rED)
6    SPD     17   6                 Phases:  2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12
7    REC     0   7
40    END     0   40
33    STUN    5   33
7    RUN      2   7"                END [1]
2    SWIM     0   2"                END [1]
4    LEAP     1   4"                4" forward, 2" upward

[b]CHA Cost: 154[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]POWERS[/u][/b]
30     [b][i][b][u]Alchemy[/b][/u][/i][/b]: Variable Power Pool, 25 base + 5 control cost,  (37 Active Points); VPP Powers Can Be Changed Only In Alchemy Lab (-1/2); all slots OAF (-1) - END=
      - END=
50     [b][i][b][u]Keystones & Slingshot[/b][/u][/i][/b]: Multipower, 75-point reserve, all slots 32 Boostable Charges (+1/2) (112 Active Points); all slots OAF (Keystone Ammo & High Tension Slingshot; -1), Limited Power: Costs 2 END per Stone (-1/4) - END=
3u     1)  [b][i][b]Ashstone[/b][/i][/b]: Darkness to Sight Group 3" radius, Personal Immunity (+1/4), Conforming (+1/2), Charge is Continuous for 1 Turn (+3/4) (75 Active Points) - END=0
3u     2)  [b][i][b]Gravestone[/b][/i][/b]: NND 5d6, NND (LS: No Need to Breathe; +1), Charge is Continuous for 1 minute ((Can be washed off); +1) (75 Active Points) - END=0
3u     3)  [b][i][b]Gunstone[/b][/i][/b]: EB 15d6 (75 Active Points) - END=0
3u     4)  [b][i][b]Hailstone[/b][/i][/b]: RKA 3d6+1, Explosion (+1/2) (75 Active Points) - END=0
2u     5)  [b][i][b]Hellstone[/b][/i][/b]: RKA 1d6+1, Charge is Continuous for 1 Turn ((Can be washed off); +3/4), Penetrating (x2; +1) (55 Active Points) - END=0
3u     6)  [b][i][b]Jackstone[/b][/i][/b]: Drain DEX 5d6 (standard effect: 15 points), Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per 5 Minutes; +1/2) (75 Active Points); Negated by successful Luck roll (-1/4) - END=0
3u     7)  [b][i][b]Mudstone[/b][/i][/b]: Entangle 5d6, 8 DEF (Stops A Given Sense Group Sight Group) (75 Active Points) - END=0
3u     8)  [b][i][b]Scythestone[/b][/i][/b]: RKA 5d6 (75 Active Points) - END=0
3u     9)  [b][i][b]Silkstone[/b][/i][/b]: Entangle 6d6, 6 DEF, Explosion (+1/2), Nonselective Target (-1/4) (75 Active Points) - END=0
3u     10) [b][i][b]Wraithstone[/b][/i][/b]: EB 10d6, Affects Desolidified Any form (+1/2) (75 Active Points) - END=0
      - END=
    [b][u][i]Paranormal Luck[/i][/b][/u] - END=
20     1)  [b][i][b]Charmed Existence[/b][/i][/b]: Luck 4d6 - END=0
40     2)  [b][i][b]Guardian Angel[/b][/i][/b]: Danger Sense (self only, any danger, Function as a Sense, Targeting Sense) 16- - END=
20     3)  [b][i][b]Outrageous Fortune[/b][/i][/b]: +2 Overall - END=
24     4)  [b][i][b]Untouchable[/b][/i][/b]: Combat Luck (12 PD/12 ED) - END=
      - END=
    [b][u][i]Paraphenalia & Miscellanea[/i][/b][/u] - END=
2     1)  [b][i][b]Ancient Blood[/b][/i][/b]: LS  (Longevity: 400 Years) - END=0
8     2)  [b][i][b]Philosopher's Stone[/b][/i][/b]: Variable Special Effects (Limited Group of SFX; Elemental & Chemical; +1/4) for up to 75 Active Points of Madstones (19 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (x3 END; -1), Incantations (-1/4) - END=6
4     3)  [b][i][b]Pommel Strike[/b][/i][/b]: HA +2d6; OAF (Slingshot; -1), H-to-H Attack (-1/2) - END=1
18     4)  [b][i][b]Reinforced Uniform[/b][/i][/b]: Armor (9 PD/9 ED); OIF (-1/2) - END=0
5     5)  [b][i][b]Swingline[/b][/i][/b]: Swinging 11"; OAF (-1) - END=1
      - END=

[b]POWERS Cost: 250[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]MARTIAL ARTS[/u][/b]
     [b][i]Brawling[/b][/i]
4      1)  Block:  1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, Block, Abort
4      2)  Punch/ Backhand Strike:  1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +2 DCV, 5d6 Strike
3      3)  Throw:  1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +1 DCV, 3d6 +v/5, Target Falls
1      4)  Weapon Element:  Clubs
     [b][i]Catapultry[/b][/i]
4      1)  Aimed Shot:  1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, +0 DCV, Range +0, Strike, +2 DC
3      2)  Guardian Shot:  1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, +2 DCV, Range +0, Strike
4      3)  Ranged Disarm:  1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, Range +0, Disarm, +3 DC to Disarm

[b]MARTIAL ARTS Cost: 23[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]SKILLS[/u][/b]
12      +4 with Slingshots
3      Breakfall 16-
3      Climbing 16-
5      Cramming 
3      Deduction 13-
3      Fast Draw 16-
3      Interrogation 13-
3      Inventor 13-
5      Power:  (Alchemy) 14-
3      Scholar
3      1)  KS: Alchemy 14-
2      2)  KS: Arcane and Occult Lore 13-
1      3)  KS: Archaeology 11-
1      4)  KS: Glassblowing 11-
2      5)  KS: Herbalism 13-
3      Scientist
1      1)  SS:  Biochemistry 11-
2      2)  SS:  Chemistry 13-
1      3)  SS:  Physics 11-
3      Shadowing 13-
3      Stealth 16-
3      Streetwise 13-
2      Survival (Desert) 13-

[b]SKILLS Cost: 70[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]PERKS[/u][/b]
3      Money:  Well Off

[b]PERKS Cost: 3[/b]

[b][u]Value[/u]  [u]DISADVANTAGES[/u][/b]
5     Distinctive Features:  'Gunslinger' Beard (Easily Concealed; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)
5     Distinctive Features:  Preternatural (Not Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable Only By Unusual Senses)
10     Mystery Disadvantage
10     Psychological Limitation:  Cowboy Code (Common, Moderate)
15     Psychological Limitation:  Curious (Common, Strong)
15     Psychological Limitation:  Moody (Common, Strong)
15     Psychological Limitation:  Sees others as children (Very Common, Moderate)
15     Psychological Limitation:  Stubborn (Common, Strong)
5     Social Limitation:  Cigar smoker (Occasionally, Minor)
10     Social Limitation:  Fear of Commitment (Occasionally, Major)
15     Social Limitation:  Secret Identity (Julius Quinn) (Frequently, Major)
10     Vulnerability:  2 x Effect Emotion Based Attacks (Uncommon)
20     Vulnerability:  2 x Effect From Hallucinogenic/Psychotropic Drugs (Common)

[b]DISADVANTAGES Points: 150[/b]

Base Pts: 350
Exp Required: 0
Total Exp Available: 0
Exp Unspent: 0
Total Character Cost: 500

Selene: Sounds good to me. I'm assuming that future power jumps would probably be connected to unlocking further vampiric powers and memories of what she could do before?

The one thing that jumps right out at me, BTW, is that her defenses in all but her Mist form are pretty anemic... she might well spend a lot of time recovering and/or unconscious unless she slots those levels right into DCV most of the time.

Yes, I would think her power ups would be based on one of two special effects: (1) She used to be a mighty sorceress and has forgotten her magic, but could remember/relearn it; (2) She's really an ancient vampire whose been drained to a pale shadow of her true power by the events which allowed Takofanes to basically own the will of all other undead on the planet (well, all other undead that Seline knows about anyway). She could get better.

I will try to tweak her for more efficiency to get points for defenses. Spending time recovering or unconscious is better in a way than what I was thinking; I was kind of thinking she might die alot, sort of a 'Highlander' effect, what with her regeneration-only-for-resurrection. I am hoping that lore on how to keep a vampire from coming back is not common knowledge due to a dearth of independent minded vampires.