Magi-Nation

d'Jarvish

I'm making Magi-Nation into a HERO System RPG. Any suggestions on Special Effects for the powers would be appreciated. Nothing stupid like for Fire Ball or Lightning please though. And I already thought of the special effects for the Alaban's Undream and the Abaquist's Possess. I am currently working on Base Set, but I would love to hear good ideas for other sets too. When I finish I will my Bestiary, Spell Book, Reliquery, and NPCs (the Magi from the game) both here and on www.insiider.com

Were you at my demo, at The Game Preserve?

I ran a "Learn HERO" demo at my FLGS, and one of the players (who'd never seen HERO before) started asking about making Magi-Nation cards into HERO characters. I said, "Yeah, of course you could..." and he started doing it.

Dangdest thing I ever saw.

If you're Andrew from the Game Preserve in Bloomington then yes.

I don't understand what's so weird about it. I like making games and I had been working on a Magi-Nation RPG but didn't really have a good system for it, so I wanted to see if HERO would work, and so far it is.

• 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by d'Jarvish

How can I do the Giant Parathin's Interchange Power?

I do not know the game, but from the card description:

What this looks like is you change what in a role-playing game would be your character into one you draw from a deck. Is that right?

If so, use the power Multiform, give yourself a number of forms equal to the number of cards in your Magi deck (for exact translation: it doesn't have to be the number to get the feel), and put the Limitation on it No Conscious Control at the -1 Level. This means you turn it on when you want to, but the GM controls the actual result.

It probably has either 1 Charge or a Side Effect that causes the summoned creature to disappear, or something like that.

OK the way I picture this working is one party member gives another all of his or her rings, memorized spells, active and inactive relics, and control of all of his or her summoned creatures and takes his rings memorized spells and inactive relics and after five minutes is fully healed and all of the rings memorized spells and inactive relics are recharged and ready to go. This is not meant for casual use because the Giant Parathin is a very expensive Creature to use. It will probably take 40 END to summon it.

How do make this into a power?

So if I understand this, you get a new character, but the new one gets to keep all your stuff - and he has no stuff of his own.

I don't see anything about the old character coming back, or you getting healed, or your rings charged up, or anything of this sort.

Obviously, the new character could use any powers/items etc that he could power himself, but anything that was used up of its own accord would still be used up.

If that's right, here's how I would do it:

Summon: Mage, limited group, slavishly loyal, usable by other, extradimensional, side effect: Extradimensional teleport, vs caster: to wherever it is the summoned creatures come from, cannot take equipment.

The way it would work is: you cast the spell and Poof! you vanish (the side effect). In your place is a randomly chosen Mage, who now has all your stuff. He can use the spell, in which case he also goes bye-bye and ANOTHER new creature appears, and so on. Eventually, I guess it would cycle round to you again, but that might be a long time.

This is all hero-legal. The only reason that GM's permission is required is that strictly speaking these are NPCs, so they could just choose to take off and that's that. Since they are slavishly loyal, however, they will probably do their best to fulfil your goals, which should make this a bit more palatable to most GMs if you want to play them as "your own character"

Cheers, Mark

• 4 weeks later...

ok I got three questions today.

I want characters to be able to activate Relics once a day and then it is active for maybe five minutes. At any time during this period the character should be able to use any powers of the Relic. How do I represent this?

Also how do I make a Relic that will reduce the END Cost of all Powers on Relics by 4 END for as long as it is activated?

Finally every Magi has a VPP which changes every turn without his control (this represents his hand). How would I make a Relic that would let you roll to see what goes in your hand and keep it if you want or throw it out if you don't?

Thanks

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

ok I got three questions today.

I want characters to be able to activate Relics once a day and then it is active for maybe five minutes. At any time during this period the character should be able to use any powers of the Relic. How do I represent this?

You can make the Relics into either Multipowers or ECs, depending on whether the powers can be used simultaneously. With a MP, put a continuing five minute charge on the Reserve cost. With an EC, put it on the EC cost and all the slots.

Also how do I make a Relic that will reduce the END Cost of all Powers on Relics by 4 END for as long as it is activated?

I'd buy it as an END Reserve with a custom limitation that the powers can only draw 4 END from it to power themselves. The powers would have to have the +1/4 advantage to draw from the END Reserve and another END source if they normally draw from the Magi's personal END. If they already draw from an END Reserve, but it as +XEND for the normal reserve, with the same custom limit. You'll have to see how many powers max can be activated per turn, max SPD of a Magi, and then put enough END in the reserve to cover it, and a high enough REC to keep it running.

Finally every Magi has a VPP which changes every turn without his control (this represents his hand). How would I make a Relic that would let you roll to see what goes in your hand and keep it if you want or throw it out if you don't?

Thanks

If you built the VPP with the control cost disadvantage of "User Has no Control Over What Powers Change to" (however it's worded) then you buy it off with a focus.

Re: Anarchy

How would I make a power in which all players within maybe 8" choose a Creature in the same radius then everyone gets one of the chosen Creatures at random?

http://www.magi-nation.com/Duel/Cardlists/Images/Awakening/anarchy.jpg

Maybe a Summon with a custom disadvantage to randomize it and limit it to critters in the area, and a Dispel big enough to clear the board of the creatures already in play? (Assuming they've been Summoned with the VPPs)

Re: Entomb

I can't figure out this one either

http://www.magi-nation.com/Duel/Cardlists/Images/Awakening/entomb.jpg

What I want is for everyone within a certain radius to have the chosen Spell be considered Core (which means that only Core Magi can cast it with a rare exception or two) for the rest of the day

That's a tough one. First, you need to rule that every time a given spell of the same name is "drawn" from the VPP of a PC, it retains a memory of its previous state. There's a precident in the discussion under VPPs about charges in a VPP power. Then, you'd be able to apply a naked Variable SFX Advantage large enough to cover the given spell, with a continuing charge of one day.