Modifiers for Cloning

Wanderer

"Computer, Standing Order #24: If Any Member of The Primacy In Good Standing Gets Dead Or Permanently Incapacitated, As Assumed By The Fact He or She Does Not Get In Contact With You For A Year Or More, Activate Clone Of Said Member In Storage, Or Create A Clone From Existing Cell Samples And Memory Recordings, And Activate It".

In game terms, assuming one does use Duplication instead of Resurrection to create the SFX, does this mean:

Cloning: Duplication, Cannot Recombine (+0), Requires A Genetics Roll (No Active Point penalty to Skill Roll; +0), Delayed Effect (+1/4); Extra Time (1 Season, -5 1/2), Independent (-2), OAF Bulky (-1 1/2), Side Effects (clone suffers from GM-determined Psychological Limitation, and original subject may also develop mental problems if still alive) (-1/4)

OR

Cloning: Duplication, Cannot Recombine (+0), Requires A Genetics Roll (No Active Point penalty to Skill Roll; +0), Trigger (character is dead or permanently incapacitated) (Activating the Trigger is an Action that takes no time, Trigger resets automatically, immediately after it activates, Character does not control activation of personal Trigger, Misfire (character is imprisoned); +1/2); Extra Time (1 Season, -5 1/2), Independent (-2), OAF Bulky (-1 1/2), Side Effects (clone suffers from GM-determined Psychological Limitation, and original subject may also develop mental problems if still alive) (-1/4)

Delayed Effect or Trigger, and why ?

Does it matter whether the clone is already developed but kept "on ice", or created when the activation condition arises, or is it just SFX ??

Re: Modifiers for Cloning

Why wouldn't you use ressurect to acchieve this effect?

For a couple of reasons....

For one, possibly Wanderer concieves ressurection as restoring the person to the state they were in just prior to death/injury, and duplication as creating a duplicate of the person as they were when the trigger is set or the power with extra time is activated. In this case, the clone would be programmed with memories and personality/identity imprints that are months or more "out of date" - the character would not know what happened to their previous "self" in the meantime.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary is fond of Duplication...

For a couple of reasons....

For one, possibly Wanderer concieves ressurection as restoring the person to the state they were in just prior to death/injury, and duplication as creating a duplicate of the person as they were when the trigger is set or the power with extra time is activated. In this case, the clone would be programmed with memories and personality/identity imprints that are months or more "out of date" - the character would not know what happened to their previous "self" in the meantime.

This is one reason, another is that I get just a little driven by the SFX flavor and concieve Resurrection Healing/Regeneration as more of a magical/cosmic or biological/mutant inborn "reanimation" power (although I've been toying with the idea of giving characters Resurrection Regeneration with the meta-genre SFX of "comic book death", even if for the life of me cannot tell what the mandatory loophole would be), whereas technological or magical "copy" cloning seems more the province of Duplication. Moreover, Resurrection is more of an all or nothing power, it either works perfectly, restoring the original character to the state it was just before death or it meets the loophole condition and it stays dead, whereas Duplication is more forgiving, with no mandatory loophole, but also liable to all kinds of potential complications (from premature Misfired activation of clone when original is still alive to clone getting some psychological foibles from imperfect duplication or partial amnesia from not up to date memory recording) which are potential juicy plot hooks which I'd not mind to have, so Duplication is my blessing to the GM to have some nice classic clone stories. I like them, and clone characters: Kon-El's Superboy was one of the very few mainstream DC characters I fancy.

Last, but not east, who says I'm not so adverse to death of my favorite characters that I pull a "Death of Superman" or Doctor Doom by giving them both Resurrection Regeneration and Cloning Duplication ?? :eg: The likelihood of them both failing is infinitesimal, and Kon-El and Kristoff copies running astray of their resurrected originals were both very fancy characters and storylines.

The problem with Duplication is technically you can't activate the Duplication Power if you're dead.

And honestly - this whole thing sounds like Plot Point anyways. Talk with the GM, tell them you'd like to have this option.

I would give you one of two options depending on the campaign.

Healing, Resurrection Only with enough of a Time Limitation it takes you a season to fully resurrect. SFX are a cloning vat.

5 pt Perk: Backup Copy.

If a power is persistant and bought on a trigger (at time of death death) then that power would activate. To cut down on arguments simple have a delayed effect advantage which states the power has already been used just not activated and then the trigger will go off for sure if the conditions are met.

Of course it does not have to be the characters power it could be the bases power but you would have to add Usable against others to represent the whole using genetic marterial and this would allow you to duplicate anybody (who fits within the point retraints of the duplicate) if you happen to have some of their D.N.A..

It's cool and a fun concept to play if done right and not abused! I have done so before.

Do persistant powers continue after the character expires? I thought that required independent. Also wouldn't the duplicate need to appear at the location of the character's death?

For a base to have a triggered duplication power it would also require a way of detecting that the character was about to die, I think that if it duplicated him after he was dead it would be very inexpensive.

It still seems like resurrect would be the most appropriate ability, with the limitation that it brings back a version based on the last DNA sample/Brain tape.

Do persistant powers continue after the character expires? I thought that required independent. Also wouldn't the duplicate need to appear at the location of the character's death?

For a base to have a triggered duplication power it would also require a way of detecting that the character was about to die, I think that if it duplicated him after he was dead it would be very inexpensive.

It still seems like resurrect would be the most appropriate ability, with the limitation that it brings back a version based on the last DNA sample/Brain tape.

Persitant Powers turn off. Constant is required to have a Power continue working after a characters death.

5ER p154 addresses this, it leaves it mostly in the GMs hands stating only that the duplicates alive cannot recombine, assuming they don't simply disappear outright upon the originals death.

Persitant Powers turn off. Constant is required to have a Power continue working after a characters death.

5ER p154 addresses this, it leaves it mostly in the GMs hands stating only that the duplicates alive cannot recombine, assuming they don't simply disappear outright upon the originals death.

The latter trumps general duration rules for Powers, is valid for vanilla Duplication, and indicates that barring an incompatible SFX, by default Duplicates survive, forever disconnected from the original, when it dies. I can hardly think of a more "lasting" SFX for Duplication than cloning. This is doubly true for Cannot Recombine Duplication, whose copies are already disconnected at creation (it's Always On by default).

Delayed Effect and Trigger "charges" built into Universal and (even more so) Independent Foci most definitely do not fade at a character's death, barring incompatible SFX.

For a base to have a triggered duplication power it would also require a way of detecting that the character was about to die

This is most easy to build. Use time. If the character does not give the right deactivation password every X weeks/months, the Focus automatically activates/creates the clone. Any computer can do it. It can be linked to the base's computer or AI, or be a part of the cloning device.

Of course it does not have to be the characters power it could be the bases power but you would have to add Usable against others to represent the whole using genetic marterial and this would allow you to duplicate anybody (who fits within the point retraints of the duplicate) if you happen to have some of their D.N.A.

UOO is only necessary if you wish to duplicate someone that does not "own" (has paid points) for the focus/base. Any member of the team that has contributed points can use it. Tha Advantage is necessary, however, if you wish to copy allies or dependents.