Malvans (possible spoilers)

Nolgroth

Okay, at the risk of retreading some previously walked along pathway, is there any information about the Malvans beyond what is in the Terran Empire book. Specifically, at what point in the Elder Worm/Malvan conflict did this nasty curse of theirs get tossed? Is this curse similar to the Ulronai curse in that individuals can overcome its effects? Are there any write-ups for Malvan ships? Do they need ships in the traditional sense?

My first thought is probably similar to what many responses are going to look like. Your game, you decide. Still, some additional "official" or even unofficial info would be nice.

Right at this moment, I am leaning towards the time when the Elder Worm descended to Earth as the location of their last stand and subsequent curse. The Terran Empire implies that the curse happened before then, but even the Malvans don't remember. Makes it easier to ad lib.

It would be interesting to run a Malvan character, but only if the character could develop and grow. It would be vastly interesting to have a Malvan that could and would delve into some ancient and hidden archives and discover the true potential of his species. The curse would prevent any large-scale Malvan comeback, but as an individual working towards furthering the technological base that exists could lead to some really cool stuff.

That begs the question; what is beyond ATRI 14 in terms of technology? Is there anything?

Another question is how would you balance the obvious advantages of a Malvan (or for that matter Zurite, Mandaarian or other advanced tech species) in comparison to the plain old ATRI 10 or 11 characters? Already, the character has probably paid 45 - 60 points just for the privilege of having high tech. That's a heck of a chunk of points. So it seems unfair to deprive the character of the use of those points. On the other hand, how much tech do you allow such a character? Too little and he hasn't gotten his points worth. Too much and he could hypothetically dominate the game.

I was thinking that this would be an idea place to utilize Resource Pools. The character would start the game with no more pieces of high tech than could be fit into the initial Resource Pool. I would even exclude the Armory portion for starting characters, as I am sure most high tech would be miniaturized devices.

Another thing I would consider, for the Malvans, is boosting the initial points of the character and make them "pay off" the extra points with a portion of XP. That would be a pretty decent way of simulating the more powerful but slower adapting species. It may create too much of an imbalance though.

I imagine the Malvan fleet is comprised of either advanced robotic ships (Berserker-like) or other species in command of massively advanced ships. I doubt too many actual Malvans are stationed aboard battlecruisers. Loyalty is probably an easy commodity when you can use a robot to extend the longevity of the crew and possibly offer massive retirement benefits. I imagine that the Malvans are pretty harsh when dealing with espionage so that would help too.

Individual Malvans probably have the tech to Teleport insane distances. Instead of hopping on some sort of transport, they push a belt stud which opens a direct gateway to where they are going.

Okay, I've rambled on more than enough. Thoughts? Opinions?

Re: Malvans (possible spoilers)

I would say that it's certainly possible for individual Malvans to overcome their people's curse of apathy, based on the precedent of the two driven men who became the Firewing, Ariax Thone (Conquerors, Killers, And Crooks) and Storax Erg (Galactic Champions). Both men had great passion and ambition, albeit in different directions, before they were transformed in the Furnace of the First Ones. BTW the Furnace is a great flame said to be the life-force of all Malvans, at the heart of the Grand Temple of Malva.

As for a source of ancient Malvan knowledge and wisdom, those two books describe one that would be ready-made for your purposes: the Wisdom Stones. For hundreds of thousands of years the Malvans preserved the remains and the spirits of their most notable individuals in special calcified formations. The Wisdom Stones are sentient and able to communicate with others telepathically, and are implied to possess other psychic powers. Malvans sometimes seek out their guidance, although as the curse became more pronounced over time fewer and fewer Malvans did so, until (sometime before the GC era) the Wisdom Stones grew disgusted with Malvan society and withdrew themselves to an isolated location.

The Wisdom Stones also implicitly seek Malvans capable of reigniting their race's potential, and might offer their guidance and assistance to such people.

One point to consider about Malvan technology: by at least the Twenty-First Century on Earth, most Malvans don't really understand their ancestors' devices. Their tech was so superbly built that some of it continues to function millennia later, servicing their needs and protecting their world; but very few Malvans have any idea of how to repair it should it break down, let alone replace it or create comparable new devices.

Translating this to a game situation, a Malvan character might have some useful understanding of ATRI 14 principles, but not enough to completely outstrip the expertise of other characters from lower-tech societies. Any ATRI 14 devices the Malvan might bring with him would likely be either relatively minor in usefulness, or nearly unique and irreplaceable. The latter would bring as many problems as it solved, from those who would covet it and seek to steal it.

I do think some Malvan tech/weapons/starships should be written up at some point. Otherwise it becomes that WOD-style "There are no stats for Cain because he can do whatever he wants and always wins" copout.

But then, I'm the sort of guy who annoyed Steve Long once by requesting a "7,500 point generic greater god" writeup.;)

Still waiting on those Malvan UltraDreadnought stats...

As I'm sure you're already aware, megaplayboy,

I already have one written up' date=' and I've been considering it as a DH article. Mine has enough power to destroy a planet without breaking a sweat (so to speak), and with a little effort could make a sun go nova.[/quote']

One point to consider about Malvan technology: by at least the Twenty-First Century on Earth' date=' most Malvans don't really understand their ancestors' devices. Their tech was so superbly built that some of it continues to function millennia later, servicing their needs and protecting their world; but very few Malvans have any idea of how to repair it should it break down, let alone replace it or create comparable new devices.[/quote']And that is the crux of the character concept. Mind you, I have GM to run it as I am the GM of our group, but it is a concept to exercise my character building muscles. Anyway, the character concept I have is a Malvan who actually has consulted with the Wisdom Stones for some time and has overcome the Malvan apathy. I would assume that at least some of the souls in these Wisdom Stones would be engineers and scientists, the character has access to information that would allow them to learn how it works.

Now combine that with a desperate frustration in being unable to convince the Malvan society at large of the value of that knowledge and you get the basic character concept. Perhaps the character learns what happened to his people and seeks to find a "cure." Maybe, in his frustration, he leaves to explore the universe through the eyes of more dynamic races like humanity or mondabians.

Translating this to a game situation, a Malvan character might have some useful understanding of ATRI 14 principles, but not enough to completely outstrip the expertise of other characters from lower-tech societies. Any ATRI 14 devices the Malvan might bring with him would likely be either relatively minor in usefulness, or nearly unique and irreplaceable. The latter would bring as many problems as it solved, from those who would covet it and seek to steal it.
Again, part of the character concept would be that he does understand the principles behind his tech, at least imperfectly. He could replicate some devices and invent others based on the tech. I would not want that to become an overbearing thing in the campaign, hence the idea of the Resource Pool.

Inasmuch as the ATRI 14 tech would be coveted, yeah I had some ideas regarding that. :)

• 4 weeks later...

That begs the question; what is beyond ATRI 14 in terms of technology? Is there anything?

I'm sorry that I kind of lost track of this question amidst your other points. :o In the Hero Universe there is a level of technology that from all reports is superior even to that of the Malvans: that of the incredibly ancient race remembered across the galaxy as "the Progenitors." They're known by that name because they experimented on primitive species on many worlds as early as millions of years ago, advancing their evolution and sometimes diversifying their genetic potential. On Earth they apparently accelerated the development of humanity's ancestors, as well as creating the immortal demigod kindred of Man known as the Empyreans.

The Progenitors themselves vanished from the galaxy millennia ago. No one knows why they disappeared, or why they conducted their experiments, although they seemed to protect and nurture sentient life. However, a few caches of their technology still exist in hidden locations. Their devices were reputedly so advanced that all other races who encountered them believed they used magic. They could transmute matter and energy at will, warp space and perhaps even time, and reshape living beings in almost any manner they chose.

According to Champions Universe, the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter was once a planet inhabited by sentient plants who were nurtured by the Progenitors. The asteroids still hold remaining Progenitor devices.

I'm sorry that I kind of lost track of this question amidst your other points. :o
I would not worry about it were I you. I let the project slide myself, what with the pleasure of running a game and all.

In the Hero Universe there is a level of technology that from all reports is superior even to that of the Malvans: that of the incredibly ancient race remembered across the galaxy as "the Progenitors." They're known by that name because they experimented on primitive species on many worlds as early as millions of years ago, advancing their evolution and sometimes diversifying their genetic potential. On Earth they apparently accelerated the development of humanity's ancestors, as well as creating the immortal demigod kindred of Man known as the Empyreans.
Empyreans? Seem to recall a Marvel concept that was similar. I remember (or maybe misremember) an intelligent dog with a tuning fork in his head and some girl with hair that I would define as Stretching. That was a long time ago though. Let me guess, I should be investing in some Champions sourcebooks for that info. ;)

The Progenitors themselves vanished from the galaxy millennia ago. No one knows why they disappeared, or why they conducted their experiments, although they seemed to protect and nurture sentient life. However, a few caches of their technology still exist in hidden locations. Their devices were reputedly so advanced that all other races who encountered them believed they used magic. They could transmute matter and energy at will, warp space and perhaps even time, and reshape living beings in almost any manner they chose.
Magic is how I imagine Malvan tech. Maybe obviously technical in appearance, but capable of some very unusual properties. So, does the Progenitor race use magic staves instead of guns? :) Interesting idea anyway. I imagine everything past ATRI 13 is not necessarily bound by laws of conservation. For instance, I can see Lightsabers at ATRI 13 and above. Perhaps it is a matter of scale. ATRI 13 can sense the energies of a stargate, ATRI 14 can build a gate or short term pathway and the Progenitor race (ATRI 15?) can alter the fabric of space/time to permanently create the pathways that link the gates?

According to Champions Universe, the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter was once a planet inhabited by sentient plants who were nurtured by the Progenitors. The asteroids still hold remaining Progenitor devices.

Interesting. Very interesting.

I would not worry about it were I you. I let the project slide myself, what with the pleasure of running a game and all.

Empyreans? Seem to recall a Marvel concept that was similar. I remember (or maybe misremember) an intelligent dog with a tuning fork in his head and some girl with hair that I would define as Stretching. That was a long time ago though. Let me guess, I should be investing in some Champions sourcebooks for that info. ;)

Hidden Lands if you really feel the need.

The Empyreans and their hidden city, Arcadia, are explicitly inspired by two Marvel Universe superhuman species: the Inhumans (the tuning-fork dog and stretching-hair woman are Lockjaw and Medusa, respectively); and the Eternals, near-godlike immortals responsible for a number of human myths. Both were products of alien genetic experiments on early humanity.

As for the Progenitors, they may not have used technology recognizable as such. Hidden Lands implies that they had evolved beyond physical forms - they often resembled fields of energy, although they could take on humanoid appearance at will. Very little has been revealed about the Progenitors, so details are sketchy.