Lucha Libre

Nightfly

My brother wants to create a Lucha Libre [Luchador] Professional Wrestler type PC.

Ninja Hero, Ultimate Martial Artist, and the core book all have moves for wrestling type PCs, but I don't feel any of the offered moves comes close to approximating the high-flying [dynamic] Lucha Libre style.

Does anyone have any ideas? Or has anyone seen something similar to what I'd be looking for?

A lot of it has to do with the visuals you give the character's moves. Defining an Offensive Strike as a flying kick, or a takedown as a moonsault, for instance, instead of using them generically. Some other ideas for helpful stuff ...

Metric buttloads of Acrobatics and Breakfall.

Off The Top Rope: +Xd6 HA, only when dropping on an opponent (-1/4 or -0 depending)

Viva La Luchador!: +x DCV Levels or Damage Reduction, RSR: Acrobatics

High-Flying: +X" Leaping, +X" Running, RSR: Acrobatics

Hmm ... basing a lot of stuff off Acrobatics seems to work. The primary thing, though, is the character ... he has to define and describe his combat maneuvers appropriately to his idiom ... lots of jumping, flipping and leaping.

I've played a Mexican wrestler hero off and on for years (El Espectro). He's built with gobs of maneuvers, low defenses but high damage reduction, a "Detect Supernatural" sense built into his mask (which he inherited from his father and allows him to track down the various werewolves, zombies and mummies that are constantly plaguing Mexico), and a "Heat" mechanic- he has an Aid to various stats that only kicks in when people are rooting hard for him. dw

Originally posted by Darren Watts

I've played a Mexican wrestler hero off and on for years (El Espectro). He's built with gobs of maneuvers, low defenses but high damage reduction, a "Detect Supernatural" sense built into his mask (which he inherited from his father and allows him to track down the various werewolves, zombies and mummies that are constantly plaguing Mexico), and a "Heat" mechanic- he has an Aid to various stats that only kicks in when people are rooting hard for him. dw

Ah yes, those will be the werewolves, zombies and mummies which can be hurt by wrestling moves, as opposed to silver bullets etc. ;)

I'm not knocking Darren; it's a really good character by the sound of it. I am talking about the films on similar themes.

I've wondered if high-flying wrestling could do with lots of moves that have the v/5 element in them, which explains why everything is done running or jumping.

A friend of mine used +X running,lim must bounce off things and Damage Reduction,only when 1/2 stun or less for the heroic wrasler comeback and a righteous wrassler recovery that nowadays would be a Healing Persistant:lim must have cheering crowd I would guess look at the speedster MA and the Flying clown(???) MA in UMA for more high octane moves....

• 2 weeks later...

If you have UMA it would probably help. There is a MA design system.

I would reccomend:

hurricanrana - Flying head-scissor throw

Grab one limb, Throw, You Fall STR+2d6;

-1 OCV -1 DCV

la de a caballo - Submission move similar to the Camel Clutch

Must Follow Grab; STR+4d6

+2 OCV -2 DCV

hanging backbreaker - Submission move where opponent is 'crusified' across the attacker's back

Must Follow Grab; 2d6NND

+2 OCV -2 DCV

Most Lucha Style Manuevers are just special effects on standard attacks, or standard MA Manuevers with 'You Fall Added'

Originally posted by Darren Watts

You are a genius :D

Thanks MisterVimes,

Those sites are awesome resources!

Sadly, I was pretty disappointed with the character I made, his moves were all simple wrestling (and Sumo) moves from the (available) FREd books... (of course) I was wantin some outlandish specialty stuff. The sites you shared look they could really inspire in that direction!

I emailed those links to my Bro! So Thanks Again!

Originally posted by Nightfly

Thanks MisterVimes,

Those sites are awesome resources!

Sadly, I was pretty disappointed with the character I made, his moves were all simple wrestling (and Sumo) moves from the (available) FREd books... (of course) I was wantin some outlandish specialty stuff. The sites you shared look they could really inspire in that direction!

I emailed those links to my Bro! So Thanks Again!

de nada:D