[Character] Spinoff (Would he fit?)

Comic

Would this character fit your campaign, die quickly, or be laughed out of town?

(He's not built on the standard base + disads.)

[b][font=Courier New][size=2]Spinoff - Greg Graf[/size][/font][/b]
[font=Courier New][size=2]+[b][u]VAL[/u] [u]CHA[/u] [u]Cost[/u] [u]Base[/u] [u]Roll[/u] [u]Notes[/u][/b][/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]| 45 STR  35   10   18- HTH Damage 9d6 END [4][/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]| 38 DEX  84   10   17- OCV 13 / DCV 13[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]| 29 CON  38   10   15-[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]| 10 BODY  -   10   11-[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]| 13 INT   3   10   12- PER Roll 12-[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]| 10 EGO   -   10   11- ECV: 4[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]|  8 PRE  -2   10   11- PRE Attack: 1.5d6[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]|  8 COM  -1   10   11-[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]| 10  PD   1    9       10 PD (- rPD)[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]|  8  ED   2    6        8 ED (- rED)[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]|  6 SPD  12    4.8     Phases: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]| 15 REC   -   15[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]| 44 END  -7   58[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]| 48 STUN  -   48[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]+ [/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]|  6 RUN   -    6"      [1][/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]|  2 SWIM  -    2"      [1][/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]|  9 LEAP  -    9"      9"/5" [4][/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]+[b]CHA Cost: 165[/b][/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]+[b][u]Cost[/u] [u]POWERS[/u][/b][/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]| 10  Clinging, 45 STR; 10 AP [-][/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]| 27  Multipower Silk Pool (-1/2: OIF); 40 AP[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]|  3u 4d6 4 DEF Entangle; 40 AP [4][/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]|  2u 27" Swinging (+1/4: 1/2 END) [1][/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]+[b]POWERS Cost: 42[/b][/size][/font]

[font=Courier New][size=2]+[b][u]Cost[/u] [u]SKILLS[/u][/b][/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]|  3  17- Acrobatics[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]|      8- Acting EM[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]|      8- AK: New York EM[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]|  3  17- Breakfall[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]|      8- Climbing EM[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]|  3  12- Computer Programming EM[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]|      8- Concealment EM[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]|      8- Conversation EM[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]|      8- Deduction EM[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]|  1   8- Inventor[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]|      8- KS: Electrochemistry EM[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]|      4 pts LS: English EM[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]|      8- Paramedics EM[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]|     11- PS: Electrical Engineering Student EM[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]|      8- Shadowing EM[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]|  3  17- Stealth EM[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]|     TF: Small Motorized Ground Vehicles EM[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]+[b]SKILLS Cost: 13[/b][/size][/font]

[font=Courier New][size=2]+[b][u]Cost[/u] [u]Talents[/u][/b][/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]| 30 Danger Sense 14-, Out of Combat[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]+[b]Talents Cost: 30[/b][/size][/font]

[font=Courier New][size=2]+[b][u]Val[/u] [u]DISADVANTAGES[/u][/b][/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]| 10 DNPC: Aunt Em 8- (Incompetent Normal)[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]| 10 DNPC: Jo 8- (Incompetent Normal)[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]|  5 DF: Scars from lab accident (Easily Concealable)[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]| 10 Hunted: Press 8- (Less Pow, NCI, Mildly Punish)[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]| 15 Hunted: Police 8- (As Pow, NCI, Harshly Punish)[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]| 15 Weirdness Magnet: 8-[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]| 20 Psych. Lim.: CvK (Common, Total)[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]| 20 Psych. Lim.: Burden of Power (Very Common, Strong)[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]| 10 Psych. Lim.: Scientific Curiousity (Common, Moderate)[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]| 15 Social Lim.: Secret ID: Greg Graf, Student (Frequently, Major)[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]| 10 Social Lim.: Obligations - keep up grades, keep photoblog (Occasion, Minor)[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]| 10 Social Lim.: Reputation - masked criminal[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]+[b]DISADVANTAGES Points: 150[/b][/size][/font]

[font=Courier New][size=2]Base Pts: 100[/size][/font]

[font=Courier New][size=2]Total Character Cost: 250[/size][/font]

Origin

Greg Graf was a normal though shy high school student when a stray lightning bolt struck the building while Greg was touring in a lab full of exotic chemicals and apparatti. Greg threw himself in the path of the explosion to save others, and was permanently altered by the ensuing explosion and fire.

He gained static superpowers, including a vague sense of electric fields that forebodes 'wrongness' nearby, phenomenal strength and speed-of-electricity reflexes, the ability to cling to surfaces, and control of an artificial silky substance produced by electrochemical spinners built into gloves he wears to help regulate his powers.

Hyperneural reflexes grant Graf innate physical skills, enhancing the gymnastics lessons he learned in high school. Greg used to love gymnastics, but his foster parent, 'Uncle' Ned and 'Aunt' Em Park, saw that he was bright, and insisted he focus on studies, not athletics, so he didn't go very far in the sport he enjoyed. But now.. Now he can swing through the night with unerring ease, free to feel the thrill of bursting the bounds of earth.

Background

The gymnastics argument was the start of Greg's streak of resentment towards Ned, a festering feeling that soured much of Greg's life. It took him down dark paths normally he would not have had the courage to go. When the young man started going to illegal underground club fights to prove how much he could earn in 'sports', he felt a bitter satisfaction. That turned to regret and remorse when Ned followed him one night and was killed in the gunplay as rival gangs clashed over control of the lucrative fight business.

Ned had always tried to teach Greg that power came with an obligation to use it for good. Now Greg understood that there is a price for failing that duty. Afraid or not, Spinoff would not shirk again.

Greg is too shy to admit to his best friend, Jo Watts, his true feelings for her, yet. Which is why he doesn't want to ruin his chances by telling her about his freakish abilities, his sense of failure, and his waking terror. Widow Em is frail, Greg feels obliged to help her as she helped him growing up. He bottles up his guilt over Ned's death.

Instead of talking to Jo or Em about his troubles as Greg, he swings on silky static-reinforced strands as the strange masked Spinoff, subliming his frustration into patrolling the night, fighting crime.

Spinoff's attempt to do the right thing with his powers caught police attention, and made him fodder for the sensationalist press. When Greg went to complain to the media, he showed them proof in the form of pictures snapped on his cell phone that 'Spinoff' was stopping crooks.. which didn't change the headlines, but did get him work as a freelance photoblogger.

Re: Would he fit?

A little one sided. For our typical 350 pt supers game he has better than average CV but lower than average attacks and defenses. His rather mundane 9" Leap means that a 5" Radius AOE attack will be a guaranteed hit if he's out in the open and out of range of any good swing-line points (the optional Dive For Cover maneuver only allows a half-move). The low defenses means he most likely will take body if an AOE attack ever connects.

Not a bad 250 point Spidey tribute otherwise.

Hmm I think his DEX and DCV would make him survivable in a 250pt game. I would consider lowering the STR, DEX, CON and STUN a bit (and if you lower STR you could lower END too) and giving him some Martial Arts, and maybe some extra movement just for Diving for Cover (what's that -1 to -1 1/2 maybe more?). What type of limitation is Weirdness Magnet? Psych, Social, Unluck?

The lowering of the PRE and COM seems a bit min/max-y to my tastes.

Viable combat wise in my 350 point games, and fairly kick ass in my 250 point games, until the first time an opponent hits him with a killing attack. Then he's badly injured or dead. I'd make him take some combat luck at the very least in my games, or some extra bod and regen.

Also, the first serious PRE attack is going to lose him his phase 12 and may send him running.

With a 10 EGO, his ECV is only 3 not 4 as you have listed.

Why does his danger sense cost 30 points? Base is 15, Out of Combat is +5, +2 with roll raises it to a total of 22. Even if you add Functions as a Sense (+2) and Immediate Vicinity (+5) your still only up to 29 points.

We generally discourage selling back figured characteristics.

I think in most of the games I've played in, the character would be paste within a few combats. His best contribution to the team would be that he has a very fast entangle and high OCV so he can easily set up opponents for his slower team mates. Of course this only works on anyone that can't bust the entangle instantly with casual STR. I note he's got a decent move through, but will practically kill himself in the process.

Personally, I'd like to see what you would do with the extra 100pts, but he's not a bad Spider Clone for 250.

100 extra points?

Your whim is my command.

More resistant to KA's and better able to maneuver while away from tall buildings, paid the right price for Danger sense, more emphasis on the gadgeteering but without losing the theme, stronger potential attacks. Can throw a decent move-through and survive. Oh, smarter and scarier.

[b][size=2]Spinoff - Greg Graf[/size][/b]
[font=Courier New][size=2]+[b][u]VAL[/u] [u]CHA[/u] [u]Cost[/u] [u]Base[/u] [u]Roll[/u] [u]Notes[/u][/b][/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]| 45 STR  35   10   18- HTH Damage 9d6 END [2][/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]| 15 BODY 10   10   12-[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]| 20 INT  10   10   13- PER Roll 13-[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]| 11 EGO   2   10   11- ECV: 4[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]| 20 PRE  10   10   13- PRE Attack: 4d6[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]| 12 COM   1   10   11-[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]| 12  PD   3    9       20 PD (8 rPD)[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]| 10  ED   4    6       18 ED (8 rED)[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]|  6 SPD  12    4.8     Phases: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]| 54 END  -2   58[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]| 53 STUN  -   53[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]|  7 RUN   -    6"      [1][/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]|  3 SWIM  -    2"      [1][/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]| 15 LEAP  -    9"      15"/8" [3][/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]+[b]CHA Cost: 207[/b][/size][/font]

[font=Courier New][size=2]| 16  8 rPD/8 rED Armor (-1/2: OIF Spun suit); 24 AP [-][/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]|  7  1/2 END on 45 STR (+1/4)(-1/2: OIF Spun suit); 11 AP [-][/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]|  2  +1" Running, Total 7"; 2 AP [1][/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]|  4  +6" Superleap, Total 15"/8" (-1/2 OIF Spun suit); 6 AP [3][/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]|  1  +1" Swimming, Total 3"; 1 AP [1][/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]| 40  VPP Silk Spinning (-1/2: OIF Spingloves); 60 AP[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]| 20  VPP Silk Spinning Control (OIF Spingloves); 30 AP[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]|     e.g. 1) 6d6 6 DEF Entangle; 60 AP [6][/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]|     e.g. 2) 27" Swinging (+1/4: 1/2 END) [1][/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]+[b]POWERS Cost: 100[/b][/size][/font]

[font=Courier New][size=2]|  3  13- Computer Programming EM[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]|  3  13- Inventor (Pool Control Skill)[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]|      8- KS: Electrochemistry EM[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]|     11- PS: Electrical Engineering Student EM[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]|  1   8- Streetwise[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]|     TF: Small Motorized Ground Vehicles EM[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]+[b]SKILLS Cost: 16[/b][/size][/font]

[font=Courier New][size=2]| 27 Danger Sense 14-, Out of Combat, Immediate Vicinity, As Sense[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]+[b]Talents Cost: 27[/b][/size][/font]

[font=Courier New][size=2]| 10 DNPC: Aunt Em 8- (Incompetent Normal)[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]| 10 DNPC: Jo 8- (Incompetent Normal)[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]|  5 DF: Scars from lab accident (Easily Concealable)[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]| 10 Hunted: Press 8- (Less Pow, NCI, Mildly Punish)[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]| 15 Hunted: Police 8- (As Pow, NCI, Harshly Punish)[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]| 15 Physical Lim: Weirdness Magnet: 8- (If something strange happens, it happens near him)[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]| 20 Psych. Lim.: Burden of Power (Very Common, Strong)[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]| 10 Psych. Lim.: Scientific Curiousity (Common, Moderate)[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]| 15 Social Lim.: Secret ID: Greg Graf, Student (Frequently, Major)[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]| 10 Social Lim.: Obligations - keep up grades, keep photoblog (Occasion, Minor)[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]| 10 Social Lim.: Reputation - masked vigilante[/size][/font]

[font=Courier New][size=2]Base Pts: 200[/size][/font]

[font=Courier New][size=2]Total Character Cost: 350[/size][/font]

If I were looking at the character for my game, I’d have the following comments:

- I’m not sure why, other than point balancing, he’s selling back END.

- To clarify, the Spun Suit as an OIF means if it’s damaged/destroyed, he needs time to replace it. He can’t just spin up a new one once he’s out of combat.

- How does his suit enhance his leaping?

- There are no limitations on the base of a VPP – 60 points of VPP costs 60 points, not 40. Only the control cost can be limited.

- How does he change the powers in his VPP? He appears to have no skill for this. That means he can’t change the point allocation in combat, or even necessarily with a brief period when out of combat. Note that, even with a skill to change it, he takes a full phase to attempt the skill roll. Would a Multipower of a few effects be a better approach (granting 0 phase and no skill roll to change, as well as allowing a limitation on the pool)?

- A better description of the scars will be needed. DF tends to make maintaining a Secret ID difficult.

- The Hunteds might need to change, given the nature of our game, but most hunteds in our game are Mystery anyway.

- I’d want to see writeups for the DNPC’s that make them more than just “they’re incompetent so they have no useful abilities or real personalities”.

- A 13 OCV/DCV is above average, but not stellar, in my game. He'll be missed often, but it may not be a reliable defense. A better DCV may be needed to give him a bit more staying power.

- A 9d6 main attack won't be very competetive in my game, but he may be relying on the VPP (or multipower) to compensate, either directly or using move-by type attacks.

If I were looking at the character for my game, I’d have the following comments:

- I’m not sure why, other than point balancing, he’s selling back END.

- To clarify, the Spun Suit as an OIF means if it’s damaged/destroyed, he needs time to replace it. He can’t just spin up a new one once he’s out of combat.

- How does his suit enhance his leaping?

- There are no limitations on the base of a VPP – 60 points of VPP costs 60 points, not 40. Only the control cost can be limited.

- How does he change the powers in his VPP? He appears to have no skill for this. That means he can’t change the point allocation out of combat. Note that, even with a skill to change it, he takes a full phase to attempt the skill roll. Would a Multipower of a few effects be a better approach (granting 0 phase and no skill roll to change, as well as allowing a limitation on the pool)?

- A better description of the scars will be needed. DF tends to make maintaining a Secret ID difficult.

- The Hunteds might need to change, given the nature of our game, but most hunteds in our game are Mystery anyway.

- I’d want to see writeups for the DNPC’s that make them more than just “they’re incompetent so they have no useful abilities or real personalities”.

- A 13 OCV/DCV is above average, but not stellar, in my game. He'll be missed often, but it may not be a reliable defense. A better DCV may be needed to give him a bit more staying power.

- A 9d6 main attack won't be very competetive in my game, but he may be relying on the VPP (or multipower) to compensate, either directly or using move-by type attacks.

Yup on this material, but there's a typo in the comments on the VPP; it's in combat, rather than out of combat, where he won't be able to change his VPP.

Sorry if I'm being pedantic.

I'd probably drop the VPP in favor of defined equipment and a Power Skill: Inventing for occasional plot forwarding inventions.

Some levels in Move By, Dodge and Swinging could help keep him in combat and alive longer. Some levels in DCV or some Combat Luck that require a Danger Sense roll might be appropriate as well.

Thanks, all.

Good input.

I hope no one minds me taking a third crack at the character, to see if I can make something out of the observations.

[b][size=2]Spinoff - Greg Graf[/size][/b]
[font=Courier New][size=2]| 45 STR  35   10   18- HTH Damage 9d6 END [2][/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]| 15 BODY 10   10   12-[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]| 20 INT  10   10   13- PER Roll 13-[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]| 11 EGO   2   10   11- ECV: 4[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]| 20 PRE  10   10   13- PRE Attack: 4d6[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]| 12 COM   1   10   11-[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]| 12  PD   3    9       20 PD (8 rPD)[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]| 10  ED   4    6       18 ED (8 rED)[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]| 54 END  -2   58       Spinsense makes jumpy, burns END faster[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]| 53[/size][/font][font=Courier New][size=2] STUN  -   53[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]|  7 RUN   -    6"      [1][/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]|  3 SWIM  -    2"      [1][/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]| 15 LEAP  -    9"      15"/8" [3][/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]+[b]CHA Cost: 207[/b][/size][/font]

[font=Courier New][size=2]| 16  8 rPD/8 rED Armor (-1/2: OIF Spinsuit, static reinforced); 24 AP [-][/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]|  7  1/2 END on 45 STR (+1/4)(-1/2: OIF Spinsuit, static channeling); 11 AP [-][/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]|  2  +1" Running, Total 7"; 2 AP [1][/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]|  4  +6" Superleap, Total 15"/8" (-1/2 OIF Spinsuit, static repulsion from charged surfaces); 6 AP [3][/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]|  1  +1" Swimming, Total 3"; 1 AP [1][/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]| 40  Multipower Spingloves(-1/2: OIF); 60 AP[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]|  4u[/size][/font][font=Courier New][size=2] 6d6 6 DEF Entangle; 60 AP [6][/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]|  2u 27" Swinging (+1/4: 1/2 END) [1][/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]+[b]POWERS Cost: 86[/b][/size][/font]

[font=Courier New][size=2]|  3  13- Computer Programming EM[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]|  3  13- Power Skill: Inventing with Spingloves[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]|      8- SK: Electrochemistry EM[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]+[b]SKILLS Cost: 15[/b][/size][/font]

[font=Courier New][size=2]| 27  Danger Sense 14-, Out of Combat, Immediate Vicinity, As Sense "Spinsense"[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]| 15  Find Weakness 12-, Punch (Spinsense to steer fists)[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]+[b]Talents Cost: 42[/b][/size][/font]

[font=Courier New][size=2]| 10 DNPC: Aunt Em /widowed pensioner, mother figure/ 8- (Incompetent Normal)[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]| 10 DNPC: Jo /pretty liberal arts student, lifelong friend/ 8- (Incompetent Normal)[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]|  5 DF: Leaves static in his wake (Easily Concealable w. static spray)[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]| 10 Hunted: Mystery group fronted by Press 8- (Less Pow, NCI, Mildly Punish)[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]| 15 Hunted: Mystery group fronted by Police 8- (As Pow, NCI, Harshly Punish)[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]| 15 Physical Lim: Weirdness Magnet: 8- (If something strange happens, it happens near him)[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]| 10 Social Lim.: Reputation - masked vigilante[/size][/font]

[font=Courier New][size=2]Base Pts: 200[/size][/font]

[font=Courier New][size=2]Total Character Cost: 350[/size][/font]

Re: [Character] Spinoff (Would he fit?)

I would note that the MP means the character cannot use his Entangle while he is swinging - it's all or nothing. That may or may not be the effect you are gooing for, given you could Swing to a wall in one phase, Cling there and fire the Entangle the next phase. Flexible slots would allow you to use both at the same time, albeit at reduced effectiveness, if that's your vision. I'd probably leave it as is and rely on buying Flex slots with xp if it becomes an issue.

I'd still be concerned about the mix of DF and Secret ID. "How come the computers fritz out whenever Greg's around?" Bet on a character who can sense electrical auras showing up sooner or later, especially if one of your Hunteds starts to figure out how your powers work...

The Hunteds depend a lot on campaign tone. Official, sanctioned heroes likely aren't hunted, directly or indirectly, by the police.

I noted earlier I'd expect data on the DNPC's, but again this depends on the game. Some GM's prefer to write these up themselves, others make the player do the work. I'd generally require a writeup by the player which I would then modify as I see fit, maintaining the general parameters.

Of course, your GM may be completely different. In a game where Supers are mistrusted misfits, hounded by the press and police VigilanteBuster squads, for example, these Hunteds fit right in.

some minor things:

It's not called Superleap anymore. Just Leaping. Also Find Weakness is not a Talent, it's a Power.

What is "SK: Electrochemistry"? Is that supposed to be a KS or a SS? And why is it listed as an Everyman skill? Generally, you only get one PS at 11- for free, which you used for Electrical Engineering Student.

Here's an updated take on a tribute character I played in the 80's.

Enjoy!

Spider Dude

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

43 STR 8 18- Lift 9700.6kg; 8 1/2d6 [4]

38 DEX 15 17- OCV: 13/DCV: 13

25 CON 6 14-

15 BODY 10 12-

18 INT 8 13- PER Roll 13-

15 EGO 10 12- ECV: 5

10 PRE 0 11- PRE Attack: 2d6

14 COM 2 12-

15/18 PD 6 Total: 15/18 PD (0/3 rPD)

11/14 ED 6 Total: 11/14 ED (0/3 rED)

6 SPD 5 Phases: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12

14 REC 0

50 END 0

50 STUN 0

Total Characteristic Cost: 76

Movement:

Running: 6"/12"

Leaping: 13"/26"

Swimming: 2"/4"

Swinging: 20"/40"

Cost Powers END

Everything A Spider Can, all slots Limited Power (Affected by adjustment powers like an Elemental Control; -1/4)

20 1) +25 STR (25 Active Points) 2

39 2) +23 DEX (69 Active Points); No Figured Characteristics (-1/2)

19 3) +12 CON (24 Active Points)

24 4) +3 SPD (30 Active Points)

8 5) Clinging (normal STR) (10 Active Points)

8 6) Leaping +5" (13 1/2" forward, 6 1/2" upward) (Accurate) (10 Active Points) 1

33 Web Slinging: Multipower, 50-point reserve, (50 Active Points); all slots Limited Power (Affected by adjustment powers like an Elemental Control; -1/4), Requires A Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points; -1/4)

5m 2) Webbing: Entangle 5d6, 5 DEF (50 Active Points); Vulnerable (Uncommon; Fire; -1/4), Range Based On Strength (-1/4), Nonresistant DEF (-1/4) 5

4m 3) Web Grab: Stretching 10" (50 Active Points); Cannot Do Damage (-1/2), Always Direct (-1/4), Physical Manifestation (Webbing; -1/4) 5

7m 4) Web Ball: Energy Blast 10d6 (50 Active Points); Range Based On Strength (-1/4) 5

3m 5) Web Swinging: Swinging 20" (20 Active Points); Physical Manifestation (-1/4) 2

Spidey-Fu

Maneuver OCV DCV Notes

5 Spidey Evasion (Flying Dodge) -- +4 Dodge All Attacks, Abort; FMove

4 Spidey Disarm (Martial Disarm) -1 +1 Disarm; 53 STR to Disarm

4 Spidey Escape (Martial Escape) +0 +0 58 STR vs. Grabs

4 Spidey Punch (Martial Strike) +0 +2 10 1/2d6 Strike

Talents

6 Spidey Sense Part 1: Combat Luck (3 PD/3 ED)

28 Spidey Sense part 2: Danger Sense (immediate vicinity, out of combat, Function as a Sense) 14-

Skills

Everyman Skills

0 1) AK: Home country or region 8-

0 2) Acting 8-

0 3) Climbing 8-

0 4) Conversation 8-

0 5) Native Language (idiomatic; Literate) (4 Active Points)

0 6) PS: Choice (Everyman Skill) 11-

0 7) Persuasion 8-

0 8) Shadowing 8-

0 9) TF: Custom Adder, Small Motorized Ground Vehicles

Notes: Custom Mod is Everyman Skill

Agility Skills

3 1) Acrobatics 17-

3 2) Breakfall 17-

3 3) Stealth 17-

Intellect Skills

3 1) Concealment 13-

3 2) Deduction 13-

3 3) Paramedics 13-

3 4) Research 13-

3 Scholar

3 Scientist

7 Web Slinging: Power 15-

8 Spidey Sense Evasion: +2 Overall (20 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about two-thirds of its effectiveness (Only for Defensive Actions Based on Spidey Sense Part 2 (Danger Sense); -1 1/2)

6 Spidey-Fu: +2 with Martial Maneuvers

5 Rapid Attack (Ranged)

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 274

Total Cost: 350

200+ Disadvantages

Total Disadvantage Points: 350

some minor things:

It's not called Superleap anymore. Just Leaping. Also Find Weakness is not a Talent, it's a Power.

What is "SK: Electrochemistry"? Is that supposed to be a KS or a SS? And why is it listed as an Everyman skill? Generally, you only get one PS at 11- for free, which you used for Electrical Engineering Student.

Ultimate skill added to the everyman skills

some minor things:

You caught me.

The version of the game I played for the longest time was 3rd, and I often find myself thinking in those dated terms. Hence thinking Find Weakness is a Talent.

"SK" was meant to be 'Science Knowledge'. I'd believed Everyman was one 11- PS, and one 8- knowledge. When I built the VPP version, Inventor (the control skill), I'd thought, required a defined SS for inventing in that area, and got one (8-) 'freebie'? Or was that a house rule?

I'm impressed by the many similarities (and the notable distinctions) between Hyper-Man's tribute and my own.

(And yes, he can swing or spin, not both at once. A player ought to have to make tactical trade-offs now and again, I think, and have room to grow.) Hugh's points about what does and doesn't fit with the write-up from a GM's point of view (more detailed DNPC's, type of Hunted, eg.) do draw me back to the original point of the thread.

Moderate attack power, vulnerable to KAs (in any version, an 8 DEF OIF is going to get punctured sooner or later), a total commitment to not killing, accidentally gained combat ability (origin devoid of combat training or equipment, focii built for travel that happen to also restrain used a certain way) and plenty of opportunities to explore the drama (ie angst), would a character (despite spending few flavor points in skills) like this fit in with your other characters, and campaign world? What noncombat niche would he fill, if any?

Hugh's points about what does and doesn't fit with the write-up from a GM's point of view (more detailed DNPC's, type of Hunted, eg.) do draw me back to the original point of the thread.

Moderate attack power, vulnerable to KAs (in any version, an 8 DEF OIF is going to get punctured sooner or later), a total commitment to not killing, accidentally gained combat ability (origin devoid of combat training or equipment, focii built for travel that happen to also restrain used a certain way) and plenty of opportunities to explore the drama (ie angst), would a character (despite spending few flavor points in skills) like this fit in with your other characters, and campaign world? What noncombat niche would he fill, if any?

I'm looking at the character from the same perspective I would look at any new character, being whether he would fit in the game from a powers and tone perspective. The more specific issue of any niche he would fill is something that, to me, can only be evaluated by a comparison with the other heroes (my present group lacks a science-type, for example, a niche this character would fill). To me. much of the noncombat niche is GM designed based on the mix of characters, so it's not as quick or easy to answer, but forms part of story planning.

Glad the Everyman portion is settled. :)

I like the first and third version best (in that order), but once having spent those extra 100 points, it's like a genie from a bottle, and putting them back is hard.

I've discovered that many GMs dislike Find Weakness, and I don't see this character having the ability to stare at a bank vault for a few seconds before reducing it to confetti with his fists, so I'd likely shelve that idea.

Spending the 15 points instead on +10 Strength at Zero END would increase Spinoff's damage, PD, REC, Stun, and Leap, though that would take him too much toward brute strength, considering he's not meant to be a Thor tribute. I'm a bit leery of the PRE being too high for the concept, too, at 20, and think it needs knocking down to 14 at most. I don't subscribe to buying COM because it's cheap, considering nothing in Greg Graf's background suggests awareness of personal appearance beyond the use of soap, or natural unusual good looks, so I'm tending toward reverting that to 10. This brings his social attributes closer to the way they were first conceived.

I believe 60 AP of Entangle, 45 STR, 6 SPD and CV 13 is more than enough to pull his weight in combat, though I believe in contributing as much out of combat. If I put 10 of those 22 pts into Int, not only would his PER and Danger Sense go up by 2, Spinoff could be a truly nerdy science geek for a team if the other 12 pts were spent on Bugging, Electronics, Security Systems and Systems Operations, or the like.

The world needs more Spintracers dropped on fleeing VIPER agents, detectable only to Spinsense.

I've discovered that many GMs dislike Find Weakness, and I don't see this character having the ability to stare at a bank vault for a few seconds before reducing it to confetti with his fists, so I'd likely shelve that idea.

Spending the 15 points instead on +10 Strength at Zero END would increase Spinoff's damage, PD, REC, Stun, and Leap, though that would take him too much toward brute strength, considering he's not meant to be a Thor tribute.

Another alternative would be to maintain, or even reduce, the present 45 STR and buy a customized martial arts package, possibly with some maneuvers to take advantage of his high swinging movement rate. Some of Spidey's heaviest attacks seem to incorporate momentum from a swing.

I'm a bit leery of the PRE being too high for the concept' date=' too, at 20, and think it needs knocking down to 14 at most. I don't subscribe to buying COM because it's cheap, considering nothing in Greg Graf's background suggests awareness of personal appearance beyond the use of soap, or natural unusual good looks, so I'm tending toward reverting that to 10. This brings his social attributes closer to the way they were first conceived.[/quote']

Perhaps a reasonable approach here would be to drop the PRE, but buy some extra PRE "defensive only" (-1). The issue with PRE early on was that a character with low EGO and PRE loses a lot of phases to PRE attacks and becomes "unfun" as a result.

As to the COM, is the character suppposed to be the Steve Ditko version, or the John Romita version? Stan lee once noted his biggest frustration with Romita was that he could not draw Peter Parker as an unattractive geek boy. Ultimately he accepted that this reflected Peter growing out of his awkward teen years.

I believe 60 AP of Entangle' date=' 45 STR, 6 SPD and CV 13 is more than enough to pull his weight in combat[/quote']

Of course, this is a problem with threads such as this. What's enough in one game may be overpowered in another and hopelessly outclassed in a third.

though I believe in contributing as much out of combat. If I put 10 of those 22 pts into Int' date=' not only would his PER and Danger Sense go up by 2, Spinoff could be a truly nerdy science geek for a team if the other 12 pts were spent on Bugging, Electronics, Security Systems and Systems Operations, or the like. [/quote']

Was his concept a genius? If so, this is a good approach. If not, it's no better than the high PRE/COM. I lean to this being a good appproach in that the character has already designed some significant foci for his powers. [Am I misrecalling - I don't think Danger Sense rolls vary with INT.]

The world needs more Spintracers dropped on fleeing VIPER agents' date=' detectable only to Spinsense.[/quote']

This would be a great addition, whether on the base character or as a purchase with xp.

Another alternative would be to maintain' date=' or even reduce, the present 45 STR and buy a customized martial arts package, possibly with some maneuvers to take advantage of his high swinging movement rate. Some of Spidey's heaviest attacks seem to incorporate momentum from a swing.[/quote']

I do like the idea of a martial art developed by an intelligent character with unusual physical aptitudes, especially one who might be involved in a lot of combat and/or associate with martial artists as fellow team-members. But it's outside the origin. Nicely efficient, for example, if he had a sacrifice lunge, especially considering his breakfall roll.

Perhaps a reasonable approach here would be to drop the PRE, but buy some extra PRE "defensive only" (-1). The issue with PRE early on was that a character with low EGO and PRE loses a lot of phases to PRE attacks and becomes "unfun" as a result.

Excellent idea. Is a psych lim or quirk (remorse over loss of 'Uncle Ned', e.g.) enough to justify PRE only for defense? Could it be explained as an aspect of Spinsense (which would guide Spinoff's reactions without respect for PRE, only responding to actual imminent danger, not bluster or threat)?

As to the COM, is the character suppposed to be the Steve Ditko version, or the John Romita version? Stan lee once noted his biggest frustration with Romita was that he could not draw Peter Parker as an unattractive geek boy. Ultimately he accepted that this reflected Peter growing out of his awkward teen years.

Pre-Romita, definitely. I see Graf as somewhere between 16-19, gangly, gawky and not yet grown into his features. No doubt his phenomenal recovery and all that exercise he'll be getting will improve his looks in time (barring horrible scars from combat), but 6-10 COM is the target.

Of course, this is a problem with threads such as this. What's enough in one game may be overpowered in another and hopelessly outclassed in a third.

True. To pump up the power, it'd take very little to turn the 27" Swinging into 48" Swinging, 1/2 END. Which would make for a far more dangerous move-through and moveby artist. With clinging, he could make AoE swinging move-attacks, if there were handy large objects available within 48" to stick his feet to while his gloves swung him at full speed. Wouldn't want to overuse this tactic as it's messy and more lethal than I'd intended for the character. Fortunately, as has been noted, the character turns out to be useful to help set up opponents for his teammates, which can be worth more than raw offensive power.

Was his concept a genius? If so, this is a good approach. If not, it's no better than the high PRE/COM. I lean to this being a good appproach in that the character has already designed some significant foci for his powers.

I've always leaned toward the idea that Peter Pa.. Er, Greg Graf is a not-quite Reed Richards level technical mind. He's the one who notices things, even without Spinsense triggering, that others miss, and understands things that others don't immediately apprehend.

[Am I misrecalling - I don't think Danger Sense rolls vary with INT.]
Likely my error. Even so, a slight bump in Int does seem with the refinements you've all helped me make to be fitting.

This would be a great addition, whether on the base character or as a purchase with xp.

Yay Spintracers!

Though unless my as yet nonexistent GM decides a mad inventor is going to build a Spincar and give it to Spinoff as part of a dastardly plan, I think most of the gadgets will be on the small, one-offish, side.

[b]Spinoff - Greg Graf[/b]
[font=Courier New]+[b][u]VAL[/u] [u]CHA[/u] [u]Cost[/u] [u]Base[/u] [u]Roll[/u] [u]Notes[/u][/b][/font]
[font=Courier New]| 45 STR  35   10   18- HTH Damage 9d6 END [2][/font]
[font=Courier New]| 38 DEX  84   10   17- OCV 13 / DCV 13[/font]
[font=Courier New]| 29 CON  38   10   15-[/font]
[font=Courier New]| 10 BODY  -   10   12-[/font]
[font=Courier New]| 23 INT  13   10   14- PER Roll 14-[/font]
[font=Courier New]| 11 EGO   2   10   11- ECV: 4[/font]
[font=Courier New]|  8 PRE  -2   10   11- PRE Attack: 1.5d6, PRE 20 to resist PRE attack[/font]
[font=Courier New]| 10 COM   -   10   11-[/font]
[font=Courier New]| 12  PD   3    9       20 PD (8 rPD)[/font]
[font=Courier New]| 10  ED   4    6       18 ED (8 rED)[/font]
[font=Courier New]|  6 SPD  12    4.8     Phases: 2,4, 6,8, 10,12[/font]
[font=Courier New]| 15 REC   -   15[/font]
[font=Courier New]| 52 END  -3   58       Spinsense makes jumpy, uses END 'faster'[/font]
[font=Courier New]| 48 STUN  -   48[/font]
[font=Courier New]+ [/font]
[font=Courier New]|  6 RUN   -    6"      [1][/font]
[font=Courier New]|  2 SWIM  -    2"      [1][/font]
[font=Courier New]| 17 LEAP  -    9"      17" forward, 9" upward [3][/font]
[font=Courier New]+[b]CHA Cost: 186[/b][/font]

[font=Courier New]+[b][u]Cost[/u] [u]POWERS[/u][/b][/font]
[font=Courier New]| 16  8 rPD/8 rED Armor (-1/2: OIF Static-reinforced Spinsuit) 24 AP [-][/font]
[font=Courier New]|  7  1/2 END on 45 STR (+1/4: OIF Static-channeling Spinsuit) 11 AP [-][/font]
[font=Courier New]|  6  +12 PRE (-1: DEF only, Spinsense) 12 AP [-][/font]
[font=Courier New]| 10  Clinging, 45 STR; 10 AP [-][/font]
[font=Courier New]|  5  +8" Leap, Total 17"/9" (-1/4: OIF Static-repulsion Spinsuit) 8 AP [3][/font]
[font=Courier New]| 40  Multipower Silk Pool (-1/2: OIF); 60 AP[/font]
[font=Courier New]|  4u 5d6 7 DEF Entangle; 60 AP [6][/font]
[font=Courier New]|  4u 48" Swinging (+1/4: 1/2 END) 60 AP [2][/font]
[font=Courier New]+[b]POWERS Cost: 92[/b][/font]

[font=Courier New]+[b][u]Cost[/u] [u]SKILLS[/u][/b][/font]
[font=Courier New]|  3  17- Acrobatics[/font]
[font=Courier New]|      8- Acting EM[/font]
[font=Courier New]|      8- AK: New City EM[/font]
[font=Courier New]|  3  17- Breakfall[/font]
[font=Courier New]|  3  14- Bugging[/font]
[font=Courier New]|      8- Climbing EM[/font]
[font=Courier New]|  3  14- Computer Programming EM[/font]
[font=Courier New]|      8- Concealment EM[/font]
[font=Courier New]|      8- Conversation EM[/font]
[font=Courier New]|      8- Deduction EM[/font]
[font=Courier New]|  3  14- Electronics[/font]
[font=Courier New]|  3  14- Inventor[/font]
[font=Courier New]|  3  14- Power Skill: Spingloves[/font]
[font=Courier New]|      8- KS: Electrochemistry EM[/font]
[font=Courier New]|     4 pts LS: English EM[/font]
[font=Courier New]|      8- Paramedics EM[/font]
[font=Courier New]|     11- PS: Electrical Engineering Student EM[/font]
[font=Courier New]|  3  14- Security Systems[/font]
[font=Courier New]|      8- Shadowing EM[/font]
[font=Courier New]|  3   17- Stealth EM[/font]
[font=Courier New]|  3   14- System Operation[/font]
[font=Courier New]|      TF: Small Motorized Ground Vehicles EM[/font]
[font=Courier New]|  3   14- Weaponsmith: Spingloves[/font]
[font=Courier New]+[b]SKILLS Cost: 33[/b][/font]

[font=Courier New]+[b][u]Cost[/u] [u]Talents[/u][/b][/font]
[font=Courier New]| 39 Danger Sense 28-, Out of Combat, As Sense, Int-Based (+5) "Spinsense"[/font]
[font=Courier New]+[b]Talents Cost: 39[/b][/font]

[font=Courier New]+[b][u]Val[/u] [u]DISADVANTAGES[/u][/b][/font]
[font=Courier New]| 10 DNPC: Aunt Em 8- (Incompetent Normal) widowed pensioner in bad neighborhood[/font]
[font=Courier New]| 10 DNPC: Jo 8- (Incompetent Normal) pretty art student with low risk perception[/font]
[font=Courier New]|  5 DF: Jumpy (Easily Concealable with snappy patter/jokes, etc.)[/font]
[font=Courier New]| 10 Hunted: Media-funded costumed bounty hunters 8- (Less Pow, NCI, Mildly Punish)[/font]
[font=Courier New]| 15 Hunted: Agents of Mystery Corporate Front 8- (As Pow, NCI, Harshly Punish)[/font]
[font=Courier New]| 15 Weirdness Magnet: 8-[/font]
[font=Courier New]| 20 Psych. Lim.: CvK (Common, Total)[/font]
[font=Courier New]| 20 Psych. Lim.: Burden of Power (Very Common, Strong)[/font]
[font=Courier New]| 10 Psych. Lim.: Scientific Curiousity (Common, Moderate)[/font]
[font=Courier New]| 15 Social Lim.: Secret ID: Greg Graf, Student (Frequently, Major)[/font]
[font=Courier New]| 10 Social Lim.: Obligations - keep up grades, keep photoblog (Occasion, Minor)[/font]
[font=Courier New]| 10 Social Lim.: Reputation - masked menace[/font]
[font=Courier New]+[b]DISADVANTAGES Points: 150[/b][/font]

[font=Courier New]Base Pts: 200[/font]

[font=Courier New]Total Character Cost: 350[/font]

Recalling a Spidey homage from a past campaign, an Area Effect web can be devestatingly effective against thugs and agents. A 3d6, 2 DEF Radius, doubled radius covers an 11" diameter circle and slows agents down considerably.

I had an ice-generator once (who had DF: skeleton in ice) with an AoE Cone entangle, no Range. It was his big attack, and he was otherwise a very low CV brick. When he generated the cone, from the rest of the player's reactions you'd have thought he'd kicked their puppies.

Why?

Well, for one thing, the fight was pretty nearly over, especially if it was indoors (all walls acted as anchors for their hex, so the area was pretty much solid ice), and for another all of their special maneuvers were pretty much ruined.

It was a case of a character design that seemed to work against team cooperation, in spite of itself. I've learned to ask questions about how a character will fit early on, and revise a lot until I'm not stepping on any of the Pro From Dovers' toes, or otherwise taking the fun out of the game.

Oddly, I generally get more satisfying characters out of the process, too, just as a coincidence.