Help with a new Character(s)

Checkmate

Character 1

I'm making a new character (just 'cause, no particular reason) and being able to play Prefab in Killer Shrike's game, got me itching to make a "utility" type character, so I made an Archer. I have the typical archer arrows: Flash, some NND's (Gas and Sonic) darkness, Entangles etc. but I was wondering if anyone had some creative ideas for arrows. Something different, with maybe a cool explanation. Like I have a DEX Drain that is defined as the arrow injects Muscle Relaxers into you. So even new takes on old powers would be cool

The second part of this: I was thinking about the bow, how many would think it Munchkin-esque to apply Gestures uses 2 hands to the bow? I think it makes sense as an entangle would stop him from using it. Or do you think in inappropriate in a supers setting?

Character 2

The only thing I have to go on, is I want an EGOist, but I'm sick of the vanilla EGOists, I want something different. I mean I want the Telepathy the Mind Control the Mind Scanning, but what can I do to make the character more exciting? Anyone have any ideas or anything I can use for inspiration?

Re: Help with a new Character(s)

I've got quite a few "unique" arrows for my archer, but most of them are based on his skills as an alchemist. For example he can Summon a swarm of insects with one of his arrows. Still, what I do with bugs a tech based character could do with nanites or some such. Similarly he has a "Love Potion" arrow (Mind Control with various lims) and an drug cocktail affectionately known as the "LSD Arrow" (Mental Illusions)

Also, the Bow is an OAF. It's already assumed most Grabs and Entagles will restrain it, Gestures is not appropriate.

Character 1

I'm making a new character (just 'cause, no particular reason) and being able to play Prefab in Killer Shrike's game, got me itching to make a "utility" type character, so I made an Archer. I have the typical archer arrows: Flash, some NND's (Gas and Sonic) darkness, Entangles etc. but I was wondering if anyone had some creative ideas for arrows. Something different, with maybe a cool explanation. Like I have a DEX Drain that is defined as the arrow injects Muscle Relaxers into you. So even new takes on old powers would be cool

Any other theme besides just 'archer?' Is there an energy type he favors? Does he make them himself? What is his signature attack?

Here's one other fun arrow: Entangle, blocks senses, set effect: wraps the head.

Also note that multiple NNDs is usually a no no.

The second part of this: I was thinking about the bow, how many would think it Munchkin-esque to apply Gestures uses 2 hands to the bow? I think it makes sense as an entangle would stop him from using it. Or do you think in inappropriate in a supers setting?

There is varying opinion on this. I decided not to use it myself after seeing multiple examples of GA or Hawkeye use teeth, feet or some other one-handed method in emergency situations. Beam attack may be appropriate, though.

True, but if MA can have a Nerve Strike and a Choke Hold, archers can have a Taser Arrow and a Knockout Gas Arrow ;)

Beam attack may be appropriate, though.

I've discovered I dislike Beam for super archers.

Need to be able to pull your shots sometimes. Beam is always shoot to kill.

Well here is my archer's VPP, the VPP was Cosmic, but had a -1/4: Limited load, meaning that while I could go WAY above the max points on what I was carring I had to choose what I had on me, based on a reasonable carring. As a rule of thump one armor, one mask, one vehicle, 20 pockets (Each pocket held 3 arrowheads or one utility item), 30 arrows (18 heads, 12 modular). All slots were OIF

Var Lim: -1/2 OAF: Bow or -1/4 range based on Str & -1/4 restrainable (disarming costs charge), or -1/2 No Range

Basicaly the modular arrowheads double as grenades, the restrainable means that the power can be interfeared with, normaly at the cost of a charge. Ignore some of the rulings about VarLim, we do.

Armor

Standard Armor: The standard Armor worn, a special weave of synthetic fibers makes it extremely light to wear and resilient to most forms of damage. The suit comes in a variety of camouflage patterns; normally the one worn is appropriate for dark settings or an urban pattern

Armor (5 PD/5 ED) (15 Active Points) (Real Cost: 10) plus Armor (2 PD/2 ED), Hardened (+1/4) (7 Active Points) (Real Cost: 5) plus +3 PD (Real Cost: 3) plus +3 ED (Real Cost: 3) plus +2 Concealment, Stealth, Shadowing (6 Active Points); Only in Appropriate Location (-1/2) (Real Cost: 3) plus Lack Of Weakness (-5) for Resident Defense; (Real Cost: 3)

Real Cost: 25

Heavy Armor: The Heavy Armor is similar to the standard armor, except it adds the protection of polymer plates. This adds to the toughness of the armor but if the damage is too excessive it will cause the armor to be less protective in the long run. While camouflaged, the plates prevent it from being as good in stealth situations

Armor (2 PD/2 ED), Hardened (+1/4) (7 Active Points); Ablative BODY Only (-1/2) (Real Cost: 3) plus +13 PD (13 Active Points); Ablative BODY Only (-1/2) (Real Cost: 9) plus +13 ED (13 Active Points); Ablative BODY Only (-1/2) (Real Cost: 9) plus Damage Resistance (15 PD/15 ED) (15 Active Points); Ablative BODY Only (-1/2) (Real Cost: 7) plus +1 Concealment, Stealth, Shadowing (3 Active Points); Only in Appropriate Location (-1/2) (Real Cost: 1) plus Lack Of Weakness (-5) for Resident Defense; Ablative BODY Only (-1/2) (Real Cost: 2)

Riot Gear: Similar to the Heavy armor, but with extra padding and plating. Unfortunately this armor is quite bulky, making it less than ideal in both combat and in stealth situations

Armor (7 PD/7 ED), Hardened (+1/4) (26 Active Points); OIF Bulky (-1), Ablative BODY Only (-1/2) (Real Cost: 10) plus Armor (8 PD/8 ED) (24 Active Points); OIF Bulky (-1), Ablative BODY Only (-1/2) (Real Cost: 10) plus Damage Resistance (7 PD/7 ED) (7 Active Points); OIF Bulky (-1) (Real Cost: 3) plus Lack Of Weakness (-5) for Resident Defense; OIF Bulky (-1), Ablative BODY Only (-1/2) (Real Cost: 2)

Masks

Standard Mask: The standard mask worn combines many useful devices, first is a High Range Radio Second is a variety of lenses including nightvision lenses, polarized lenses to protect from flashes, and telescopic lenses. Finally sonic dampeners protect against loud noises and other harmful sounds

HRRP (Radio Group) (12 Active Points); Sense Affected As More Than One Sense Hearing (-1/4) (Real Cost: 7) plus Nightvision (5 Active Points) (Real Cost: 3) plus +4 versus Range Modifier for Sight Group (6 Active Points) (Real Cost: 4) plus Sight Group Flash Defense (5 points) (5 Active Points) (Real Cost: 3) plus Hearing Group Flash Defense (5 points) (5 Active Points) (Real Cost: 3)

Real Cost: 20

Vehicles

Motorcycle: The much teased “Arrow-Bike” is one of the finest motorcycles ever built, based loosely on the Kawasaki Ninja. It has a top speed of just over 200 mph, and handles like a dream (note no turn mode). It also features jump jets, and a protective front that is able to protect the rider from some attacks.

Running +17" (6"/23" total), x4 Noncombat, 1 Continuing Fuel Charge lasting 6 Hours (+1/4); OAF (-1), Only On Appropriate Terrain (-1/4) plus Armor (5 PD/5 ED), Hardened (+1/4); OAF (-1), Ablative BODY Only (-1/2), Does not protect from rear attacks (-1/4) plus Leaping +2" (3"/5" forward, 1 1/2"/2 1/2" upward), 4 clips of 12 Charges (+0); OAF (-1)

Real Cost: 30

Normal Arrows

Blunt Arrows: One of the most common arrows, these arrows are specially made to do little lasting damage to the individual hit. It does not use the modular arrow system so may be fired in volley’s of three arrows

Energy Blast 10d6, Autofire (3 shots; +1/4), 12 Recoverable Charges (+1/4) (75 Active Points); OAF (-1), Beam (-1/4), Reduced Penetration (-1/4)

Brodhead Arrows: These are the basic razor sharp arrowheads, as they do not use the modular arrowhead system they may be fired in volleys of three arrows

Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6, +1 STUN Multiplier (+1/4), Autofire (3 shots; +1/4), 12 Recoverable Charges (+1/4), Armor Piercing x1 (+1/2) (67 Active Points); OAF (-1), Beam (-1/4)

Heavy Blunt Arrows: These Modular arrowheads are a solid mass that cause a good amount of blunt trauma.

Energy Blast 10d6, Armor Piercing x1 (+1/2) (75 Active Points); OAF (-1), 6 Recoverable Charges (-1/4), Beam (-1/4)

Crystal Tipped Arrows: Synthetic Crystals make up these modular arrowheads, the crystal is extremely hard and sharp (sharper than a razor) allowing it to do a massive amount of damage

Killing Attack - Ranged 5d6 (75 Active Points); OAF (-1), 6 Recoverable Charges (-1/4), Beam (-1/4)

Exploding Arrowheads

There are two variety’s of all exploding arrowheads, the focused version (IE Focused Blast Arrowheads) would use the AE 1 hex advantage instead of the explosion advantage

Blast Arrowheads: The standard exploding arrowhead, primarily used against large numbers of healthy individuals

Energy Blast 10d6, Explosion (+1/2) (75 Active Points); 8 Charges (-1/2), Beam (-1/4), Variable Limitations (requires -1/2 worth of Limitations; -1/4)

Bomb Arrowheads: This arrowhead is primarily used against inanimate objects. It has the potential of destroying the hardest of barriers

Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6, Explosion (+1/2), Penetrating (x2; +1) (75 Active Points); 8 Charges (-1/2), Beam (-1/4), Variable Limitations (requires -1/2 worth of Limitations; -1/4)

Concussion Blast Arrows: This arrowhead is primarily meant to shake people up and throw them around; it uses a large burst of force that will cause extreme knock back and some disorientating

Touch Group Flash 10d6, Does Knockback (+1/4), Explosion (+1/2), Double Knockback (+3/4) (75 Active Points); 8 Charges (-1/2), Beam (-1/4), Variable Limitations (requires -1/2 worth of Limitations; -1/4)

Firebomb Arrowheads: These arrowheads explode setting everything around them on fire

RKA 1d6+1, +1 Increased STUN Multiplier (+1/4), Explosion (+1/2), Uncontrolled (+1/2), Sticky (+1/2), Continuous (+1); 8 Charges (-1/2), Beam (-1/4), Variable Limitations (requires -1/2 worth of Limitations; -1/4)

Sense Effecting Arrowheads

Flash Arrowheads: These arrowheads cause a bright flash of light that blinds those in the area of the flash

Sight Group Flash 10d6, Explosion (+1/2) (75 Active Points); 8 Charges (-1/2), Beam (-1/4), Variable Limitations (requires -1/2 worth of Limitations; -1/4)

Blinding Arrowheads: Similar to a Flash Bang, it also includes a small EMP scrambling device to affect radios

Sight, Radio and Hearing Groups Flash 8d6, Explosion (+1/2); 8 Charges (-1/2), Beam (-1/4), Variable Limitations (requires -1/2 worth of Limitations; -1/4)

Smoke Arrowhead: These arrowheads create a billowing smoke cloud; small particles in it prevent echo-location and radio transmitting.

Darkness to Sight and Radio Groups, and Active Sonar 3” radius, Personal Immunity (+1/4), 16 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Turn each (+1/2) (61 Active Points); Beam (-1/4), Variable Limitations (requires -1/2 worth of Limitations; -1/4)

White Sound Arrowheads: This arrowhead broadcasts a loud squeal that causes extreme pain to all around it, as with the explosion arrows this one comes in two varieties one that uses AoE 1 Hex, the other explosion.

Energy Blast 5d6, Explosion (+1/2), Attack Versus Limited Defense (+1 1/2) (75 Active Points); 8 Charges (-1/2), Beam (-1/4), Variable Limitations (requires -1/2 worth of Limitations; -1/4)

Entrapment Arrowheads

Bola Arrowheads: This arrowhead releases a bola upon contact with its target, tying the target up

Entangle 4d6, 8 DEF, 8 Recoverable Charges (+0), Takes No Damage From Normal Attacks Limited Group (+1/4) (75 Active Points); Set Effect (May Choose) (-1/2), Cannot Form Barriers (-1/4), Beam (-1/4), Variable Limitations (requires -1/2 worth of Limitations; -1/4)

Real Cost: 27

Glue Arrowheads: This arrowhead releases sticky glue like substance over an area entrapping all who come in contact with it. There is a counter agent; it will also dry up after approximately an hour becoming quite brittle. As with the explosion arrows these come in two varieties a focused and a larger yield version

Entangle 3d6, 4 DEF, Explosion (+1/2), Sticky (+1/2) (70 Active Points); 12 Charges (-1/4), Beam (-1/4), Cannot Form Barriers (-1/4), Variable Limitations (requires -1/2 worth of Limitations; -1/4)

Real Cost: 28

Capture-Foam Arrowheads: These arrowheads upon contact release a foam that quickly hardens into a super tough material holding the unlucky individual until he is able to break out. There is a counter agent

Entangle 5d6, 10 DEF; Beam (-1/4), Cannot Form Barriers (-1/4), 12 Charges (-1/4), Variable Limitations (requires -1/2 worth of Limitations; -1/4)

Oil Slick Arrowheads: This arrowhead releases a large puddle of slick liquid that causes people moving through the area to slip and fall unless they make a dex roll at -6 or breakfall roll at -3. If the roll fails they take damage equal to v/3

Change Environment 8" radius, -6 to Dex Rolls for movement, Long-Lasting 20 Minutes; 12 Charges (-1/4), Variable Limitations (requires -1/2 worth of Limitations; -1/4), Only vs people on the ground (-1/4)

Miscellaneous Arrowheads

Gas Arrowheads: These arrowheads release a potent version of KO gas that lingers in the persons system eventually knocking them out. As with other arrowheads a more focused version that only affects the hex hit is also available

Energy Blast 3d6, Sticky (+1/2), Explosion (+1/2), Continuous (+1), No Normal Defense ([standard]; +1) (60 Active Points); 4 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Turn each (-1/2), Beam (-1/4), Variable Limitations (requires -1/2 worth of Limitations; -1/4)

Real Cost: 24

Electro Arrowheads: These arrowheads have a large electrical charge capable of rendering many unconscious

EB 15d6 (75 Active Points); Beam (-1/4), 12 Charges (-1/4), Reduced Penetration (-1/4), Variable Limitations (requires -1/2 worth of Limitations; -1/4)

Line Arrowheads: This arrowhead has a sticky tip and an attached synthetic cord (100’ line). It is somewhat hard to target as the line can cause some drag.

Clinging (30 STR), Uncontrolled (+1/2) (22 Active Points); Cannot Resist Knockback (-1/4) (Real Cost: 12) plus Stretching 2", x8 Noncombat, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (30 Active Points); Always Direct (-1/4), Limited Body Parts (-1/4), Range Modifier Applies (-1/4), No Velocity Damage (-1/4) (Real Cost: 12) plus +3 with Acrobatics, Breakfall, Climbing (9 Active Points) (Real Cost: 6)

Fire Suppression Arrowheads: These Arrows fire off a fast acting chemical that puts out fire

Dispel 4d6, Continuous (+1), Cumulative (96 points; +1), Explosion (-1 DC/4"; +1 1/4), all Fire powers simultaneously (+2); 4 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Turn each (-1/2), Beam (-1/4), Variable Limitations (requires -1/2 worth of Limitations; -1/4)

Utility Devices

These devices are small personal devices of a multitude of uses

Gun: A custom high caliber pistol, Each Clip holds 12 shots

RKA 2d6, 4 clips of 12 Charges (+0) (30 Active Points); OAF (-1), Beam (-1/4)

Real Cost: 13

Swinglines: A pair of small device that launches a swingline, quickly enabling movement in cityscapes

Swinging 20", Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (30 Active Points); OAF (-1) Real Cost: 15

Tracking Device: This device is a small hand held unit that tracks mini radio transmitters, it is assumed to come with 12 of these mini transmitters. Variable Advantage is used for Megascale effects and difficult to dispel

Detect A Class of Things 11- (Radio Group), Discriminatory, Increased Arc Of Perception (360 Degrees), Telescopic (+3 versus Range Modifier): +3, Transmit, Variable Advantage (+1/4 Advantages; +1/2) (28 Active Points); OAF (-1)

Real Cost: 14

Rebreather: This small device is placed in the mouth and then provides fresh air for up to 20 minutes

Life Support (Self-Contained Breathing), 1 Continuing Fuel Charge lasting 20 minutes (-1/4) (10 Active Points)

Real Cost: 6

Micro-Camera: A small digital video Camera, the clips represent memory sticks, it can hold two simultaneously. The camera may be plugged into various radio’s (such as the mask above) to transmit the recordings out.

Eidetic Memory, 4 clips of 2 Continuing Fuel Charges lasting 1 Hour each (+0) (5 Active Points)

Real Cost: 3

Skill Kits: These are a variety of small tools that provide a skill bonus; some examples include lock picks, crime scene kits, PDA with relevant KS information on it, etc…

+2 with all non-combat Skills (16 Active Points)

Real Cost 11

Character 2

Here is a suggestion,

There are very few mentalist that use flash attacks.

Example in the movie "Fire Starter" the farther blinds a couple of agents that are kidnapping his daughter quote "you hurt her, now your blind."

Or in the Movie "Scanners" Series, have a body or con drain that add to your ego.

A good use of having different types of tk.

Buy strength in a multipower at no end and say it is tk at no range or an HA type of attack.

Have a killing tk attack both ranged and hand to hand.

Most Mentalists are not willing to cross the "not to hurt line." So try crossing that

line. Also a good twist on a mentalist that can actually do some minor

shape change to the characters face and or body.

An example, The greatest spy in the world. " Martian the man hunter"

He can shapeshift and knows what to say to the guard to get inside the complex.

Character 2

The only thing I have to go on, is I want an EGOist, but I'm sick of the vanilla EGOists, I want something different. I mean I want the Telepathy the Mind Control the Mind Scanning, but what can I do to make the character more exciting? Anyone have any ideas or anything I can use for inspiration?

Howabout a martial artist who works off of Chi for the mental powers and has to get close to use them? Mind Scan to locate someone (limit - must have been in contact before), Telepathy/Mind Control - must be in contact/have been in contact recently, like 1 turn or 1 minute - once trace of their aura/whatever fades, he can't manipulate it anymore.

Move in, whack, pow, mind control: leap off roof, Jackie Chan down the wall after them, kick, telepathy: where's the bomb, throw, pow, he's down. Go get rid of bomb. Bad guy woke up and ran off, mind scan to track him, repeat.

Thanks for the responses.

True, but I only have 3 Charges of each, and one is an AE Line with a linked Hearing Flash (Sonic Arrow) so I can't just use it willy-nilly. I think with those limitations, most GM's would allow it.

As far as background: He was a British thief that came to America. He wasn't/isn't really evil, he really just did it for the thrill. He broke into this absent minded (think Belle's father in the Disney movie Beauty and the Beast) but very rich scientist's house, and accidentally knocked the scientist down the stairs. He bandaged the scientists head and called the paramedics. The scientist was so greatful (and forgetting why the archer, who's Hero name is Yeoman after the Queen's Royal bodyguards, was really there), that the two became friends. So the scientist makes the arrows for him. He also carries a blunt rapier and has fencing. Very Errol Flynn, flashy, and dashing.

How about a martial artist who works off of Chi for the mental powers and has to get close to use them? Mind Scan to locate someone (limit - must have been in contact before)' date=' Telepathy/Mind Control - must be in contact/have been in contact recently, like 1 turn or 1 minute - once trace of their aura/whatever fades, he can't manipulate it anymore.[/quote']

I was thinking about a Ninja-Type Psi, a-la Psylock, but when I try I usually end up with an underpowered Martial Artist, how has trouble using mental powers on a fish. I'd like to get that down a bit better, maybe with some work, but wanted to see if anyone had anything fresh.

Jm-Oz, Hyper-Man,

Thanks for the characters, no real inspiration there. Nothing stood out as different.

Bloodstone,

That's some interesting arrow effects, I like the LSD Arrow. I'd probably make mine No Conscience Control, and just have it show greatest fear or what-have-you...Maybe make it a Mind Control Fear Arrow. Interesting ideas thanks.

np, but take a closer look at the white sound arrow, If the GM has a problem with your 2 NND's it might be another way to go

As for gestures (Or 2 handed which to me is closer to the truth) I would consider it part of OAF, but talk to your GM

Mutant Inhibitor Arrow: Arrow is fired at a mutant, Arrow hits, sends a bio electrical feed into the mutant temporarily messing with there powers

Drain Mutant powers (+2), Range (+1/2) Delayed return rate (+1), Continous (+1), CC lasting 1 min

For part 1, I am going to agree with the above. The effects of Gestures (and Restrainable for that matter) are covered under the Focus limitation. However, due to the nature of arrows, you may be entitled to a second Focus for them as they can be taken away or broken seperately from the bow. Take a look at the Physical Manifestation limitation as well as it may be applicable. Also, based on how many arrows you carry for each power, the Charges limitation may save you additional points.

For part 2, To spice up your Mentalist, I recommend taking powers that effect mental combat, but are not one of the few Mental Powers group. Here are some examples for a Dark Mentalist/ Shadowmind type:

(Caution: Munchkinism Ahead!)

- Invisibility to the Mental Sense group and an Autofire Based on ECV attack (If they cannot perceive you they are 1/2 DECV at range)

- An AVLD vs. Mental Sense Group Flash Defense (not sure I have ever seen someone with Mental Flash Defense)

- An EGO Suppress (this one is really bad news for the target if he or she has no Power Defense. See the rules for Negative EGO on 5ER pg. 37)

- Mental Damage Reduction (this will obviously make you very tough against rival mentalists)

- Find Weakness vs. Mental Defense (cheap and effective if MD is in your way)

- Mental Sense Group Flash Mental Damage Shield (Being blind drops you to 0 OECV at range)

- Killing Attack Based on ECV (like all KAs, a good roll can one shot an opponent, mental damage makes it that much worse)

- A memory altering Mind Transform (no really, we are old friends)

- Change Environment to reduce EGO rolls (good to hinder break out attempts)

- Entangle Based on ECV (see 5ER pg. 169 for this nightmare)

- Mental Sense Group Clairsentience with Discriminatory and Analyze (think Astral Travel)

- Telekinesis Based on ECV (the versatilility of TK but using EGO, just make sure you take the option to apply it vs. MD or it won't be worth trying to do damage with)

I think I could design a whole Mentalist without taking a single mental power using some of the above. I hope this gives you some inspiration.

Character 2

Here is a suggestion....

Man I don't know how I missed this before, but thanks for the suggestions. I want more Telepathy based powers (Mind Control, Mind Scan) and not so much the TK. I do like the Flash though.

Doc,

That's exactly the type of stuff I'm looking for (well without the munchkin stuff :D). Any other ideas for non-mental mental powers would be greatly appreciated.

Well here is an idea,

Do a dream scape type power.

In the 4th Edition Hero the adventure "Mind Games" does go into entering dreams.

Buy a detect mental powers or mutants. It is a cheap way to find a type of

criminal/person/hero or help with an investigation.

The See Aura power listed in both the new 5th and 4th editions of "The Ultimate Mentalists"

It allows you to see the color of there feelings, mood and personal position on life.

Also another way is to buy an detect power or Clairvoince that allows you see

impressions of moods left at a building or on things. Seeing the past but only emotions in the area. It can help in finding clues. Gm must be careful when purchasing this.

Also A good use of the invisible power. You can only see me if you have Mental Awareness.

The Desolid power. I am travelling by going astral. Depending on how you purchase the power you can leave your body behind.

Buy the mind control power limitting it to post suggestion.

When said villian or criminal is about to kill/ or do something call this number or something that he would do second natured. That would alert you to him.

This makes it difficult to make that break out roll.

Or you could do the Emotion probe on people. Basically telepathy with a 1/2 Limitation only emotions.

But seeing an Aura already covers this more or less.

Mentalist: Epiphysis

Archer: I really have never gotten whats supposed to be hard about making super-archers in the HERO System...they're just a limited kind of blaster. Any thing you can do as an attack can potentially be tweaked around to an "arrow" of some kind if you have enough SFX latitude to explain away where you are getting your absurd arrows.