Force Field Question

I want to make a FF, but I want it to work like this -

THe FF runs off an END Reserve, but it only uses END when it gets hit. So, special effect is that the FF runs on a built in recharging amount of power, but when it gets hit, the reserve has to expend some additional END to bolster it back up. So, the FF can be super strong, but can be undermined by enough attacks (the weak Energy Blaster hits the guy 10 times, and by Segment 12, his Reserve is out of power and the FF shuts down, and the Brick hits the guy hard).

How do I do this?

Why don't you buy the force field and END battery normally, and take a susceptibility to the force field being struck which does END damage?

It spends ordinary END from the reserve to maintain, loses END when struck, and goes down when it's out of END. You could use "standard effect" on the susceptibility to have a fixed cost of being hit.

You could also add dice for more powerful attacks if you want the END loss to be greater for harder hits, but it doesn't sound like that's what you're aiming for.

You could make the force field "no END", or make recovery equal to 5=SPD x FF END cost to have the battery drained only when hit.

Originally posted by Citizen Keen

Do you mean side effect? How do you build a power with a susceptibility?

The power doesn't have a susceptibility, the character takes one as a disadvantage. I suppose you could take a limitation on the END battery that it loses X points when the force field is struck, but the disadvantage seems like the most straightforward way to get the result.

how about this:

only costs end when hit

then define it as drawing the end from the end reserve

ALWAYS take the easiest route...

it wouldn't be a disadvantage because you normally pay end every time you are up, but nore would it be +1/2 because it isn't that it cost no end at all, so a +1/4 sounds best and you just say when it is hit it draws end. though, this could be a +0 if it is just every phase he is hit or -1/4 every time he is hit

so it looks like this:

+1/4 so enemy 1 attacks and the FF takes the END out of the reserve, then enemy 2 attacks with an 5 shot autofire and the FF works but it doesn't take end out because it already drew end. (in htis example the FF draws end only once)

+0 enemy 1 attacks and takes the end, enemy 2 attacks with a 5 shot autofire and it costs end again, but only once for the whole attack. (in this example the FF draws end Twice)

-1/4 enemy one attacks and the FF uses end, enemy 2 attacks with his 5 shot autofire, not only does the FF take end, it takes end from each shot that hits the FF untill it breaks. (so in this example the FF has to draw end up to 6 times depending on how many times the Autofire hits)

JimOz has a completely valid approach, especially if it works when he's unconscious, except, how do you justify the armor failing when the END battery is empty?

Power::

Force Field, 0 END, unusable when END battery empty (-1/4),

OR

Armor, unusable if END battery is empty (-1/4)

?? I think it's a force field..he describes an actual force field, and I think the numbers work out the same.

Character disad::

Susceptible to Force Field being struck (2d6, Instant, Acts as Drain to END Battery) (Very Common)

Hmmm....that's interesting....overloading the force field could concievably cause Susceptibility damage, if the battery empty's to quick, as GM I might burn STUN points for the remainder. On the other hand, you could require the battery to recover the negative END, since it is a Drain effect.

Note, you could buy that down on the time so it's Phase or Turn as the character gets XP....would that have potential rules abuse?

Originally posted by NuSoardGraphite

How about a custom limitation where it costs endurance everytime the FF deflects damage.

Since its for a Star Hero game, and Autofire attacks are very common in such settings, I would consider that at least a -1/2 limitation.

this is exactly what i suggested, though i put a diffferant value (-1/4) simply because in my games they aren't as common...