area of effect

steph

Re: area of effect

I agree with differing SFXs pointing different ways, but still think that the official rules say the AoE is always at max.

Personally, I'd like for the standard rule in 6th to be that the player chooses at character conception which option is used (always full AoE or scaled with points used) as a no-cost option, similar to choosing whether an EB is Normal Damage or Stun-Only. And then add an Advantage to allow AoE scaling for less than the Variable Advantage option (seems too pricey to me). Still doesn't address the additional END usage, though.

This is the way I do it now. They decide when the buy the power, whether the AoE scales with points used or is always at maximum. Both have their advantages and drawbacks, so no point cost change either way.

You might allow an Advantage, say +1/4 (is it really worth any more than that?), to allow the radius (or cone/line length) to vary on the fly, up to the normal maximum based on active points.

Another possibility is to use Any Area instead of Radius. I house rule this one because I think Any Area is nerfed compared to Radius, Cone, or Line. A 60-point power with Radius covers 91 hexes. With Cone, it covers 91 hexes also. Line would cover 24 hexes. Any Area would cover a measly 6. With a 30-point power, the hexes covered would be 19, 28, 12, and 3, respectively. So I double the number of hexes allowed with Any Area, and allow the shape to vary each time the power is used, which can help in avoiding hitting allies. (I also triplle the number of hexes if the shape is fixed.)

And one more related house rule I'll share with you while we're on the subject: I allow "Automatic Selective Target" for an additional +1/2, which allows you to hit only those targets in the area you want to hit, without having to make separate attack rolls vs. each DCV. +1/2 being the difference between Selective and NonSelective, so therefore I let it be the difference between plain old AoE, and Automatic Selective.

Well, I've never had to do it. When it comes up in games I've been running, the characters move the "target hex" to avoid hitting allies.

Or, in one instance, just went ahead and fireballed the guy in the way. It was well within the character's concept to do so, though.

I wasn't saying that you were playing *wrong* or that a house-rule to do so isn't okay, or anything like that - just stating what the standard rules are. :)

Sometimes it's hard to do that without coming across as criticizing or putting down the poster.

I wasn't saying that you were playing *wrong* or that a house-rule to do so isn't okay, or anything like that - just stating what the standard rules are. :)

Sometimes it's hard to do that without coming across as criticizing or putting down the poster.

Heh. Not this one. I'll fully acknowledge there are things I could know better about the rules. ^ v ^

Having a variable area AoE, whether through variable advantage, or the variable area advantage will not work to protect friends and only target enemies - at least not all the time.

You have to define the area beforehand, in any event, and you have to allocate a target point and if you fail to hit DCV 3 (a rare but real possibility) then the point of aim will be off, but the AoE, in the shape you defined, will still take effect from that new centre, throwing off all your calculations.

The only 'safe' ways to prevent friends taking damage in an AoE are either the selective AoE advantage (which has the problems discussed above) or having all your friends covered by a personal immunity naked advantage that is based on your attack, either bought themselves, or granted through a Useable By Others power.

If you rely on AoE you need PI anyway - it doesn't take opponents long to realise that the best way to disarm you is to grapple....

Having a variable area AoE, whether through variable advantage, or the variable area advantage will not work to protect friends and only target enemies - at least not all the time.

You have to define the area beforehand, in any event, and you have to allocate a target point and if you fail to hit DCV 3 (a rare but real possibility) then the point of aim will be off, but the AoE, in the shape you defined, will still take effect from that new centre, throwing off all your calculations.

The only 'safe' ways to prevent friends taking damage in an AoE are either the selective AoE advantage (which has the problems discussed above) or having all your friends covered by a personal immunity naked advantage that is based on your attack, either bought themselves, or granted through a Useable By Others power.

If you rely on AoE you need PI anyway - it doesn't take opponents long to realise that the best way to disarm you is to grapple....

AoE: Any Area can be changed per use. So there's a third way.

One of my pc's makes an 'Insect Swarm' Change Env. that's very hard to see in as the bugs fly around the faces of everyone affected. To this he has the Personal Immunity advantage with UoO on an OAF. If you're equipped with a group communicator, it emits a low power signal which provides you a clear space from the bugs. It's a reasonably cheap way to simulate an effect which hits a whole area but for some reason leaves certain people alone.

AoE: Any Area can be changed per use. So there's a third way.

Agreed, but the point is that you still have to accurately target the hex you hit - I'd certainly require the 'any area' to be defined BEFORE the roll to hit - so occasionally all your calculations will be off, and you hit all the wrong hexes - usually that will mean missing all your enemies and may mean hitting all your friends.....unless you buy it with 'no range' and PI, then you can even ignore the roll to hit the target hex. That is the only 'no roll to hit' needed construction in Hero at present.