Falling Asleep While On Watch

Labrat

Re: Falling Asleep While On Watch

Going back to a previous edition...

Greg Porter's article "Death in the Great Outdoors" from Adventurer's Club #13 had a person needing REC/24 hours of sleep per night. Each night without enough sleep drained 1 EGO, INT, and PRE.

The character also needed to make an EGO roll to not be distracted while doing something repetitive or boring, with failure by two or more meaning the character fell asleep.

You know, that is the best idea I have seen yet but I would use a base formula of 24-(REC*2) for required hours of sleep, and each day of missed sleep would give -1d6 to INT, EGO, and CON, plus any END expended after the first missed day should be LTE automatically. After 72 hours (or 3 rest periods) missed I would add -1d6 to STR and REC until rested. After 96 hours (or 5 rest periods) add 1d6 STUN per day. These penalties should be cumulative and should be applied per day. They could be modified for a short period by caffeine, no-doze, speed type drugs, etc. BUT each drug should have a maximum period of effect beyond which it either quits working outright, or at least becomes less effective. If the penalties are avoided by artificial means, they should still be rolled and tracked so that when the artificial AID ends, the accumulated penalties are all applied at once... :eg:

Suffering from insomnia I can go several days with little to, no sleep, then all at once I seem to hit this wall of overwhelming fatigue. When I hit the wall, I will then sleep for 12 to 16 hours, then the cycle starts all over again.

Going back to a previous edition...

Greg Porter's article "Death in the Great Outdoors" from Adventurer's Club #13 had a person needing REC/24 hours of sleep per night. Each night without enough sleep drained 1 EGO, INT, and PRE.

The character also needed to make an EGO roll to not be distracted while doing something repetitive or boring, with failure by two or more meaning the character fell asleep.

:thumbup: We have a winner! Repped and I owe you another for the research. I knew it had to be somewhere in the Hero literature.

Nice job!

They're not far off from what Comic had suggested...

Biting the tongue

Fingernail in the gums

Thumbnail in the sensitive skin just below the fingernail

Tabasco sauce in the eye (I've not tried this, but I know people who have)

Like I said, they mostly require an EGO roll to inflict on yourself in the first place...

No, Sir, I was wide awake, but I couldn't see a damned thing because I had tabasco sauce in my eye....:idjit:

Personally I like keyes-bill's approach - just make a PER roll, perhaps modified by how long you have been on duty, how tired you are, that sort of thing, and any roll that fails by 4 or more means that you had nodded off, thus explaining why you made such a hash of the PER roll.

I think roll-interpretation is a dying art.

I think roll-interpretation is a dying art.

Once you start down the road of roll-interpretation, you start cutting corners saying that "if it misses, he's not hurt; and if it doesn't penetrate his armor, he's not hurt; let's just combine them into one roll" or "pure numbers say he's taken enough damage to kill a stable of horses, but we assume he's twisting at the last minute and just getting grazed; meanwhile his luck is running out". Before you know it, you're playing d20.

:D

If it misses you describe it as a miss, and if it doesn't penetrate his armour you describe it as a deflection, and if you miss your PER roll by a margin that is large enough then you describe it as asleep, not at your post or taking a wizz. All with just three 6-sided dice!

Unless you want to incorporate 'Taking a Wizz' tables into your game in the interests of greater versimilitude?