Falling Asleep While On Watch

Labrat

How would you do it?

Would an END-check (9+END/5) be appropriate (Heroic level games)? I don't like the CON idea as much but that might be the closest stat to it, especially since END is CON based.

What about a -1 per hour barring having the Lightsleep Talent?

Re: Falling Asleep While On Watch

Other modifiers involved could be whether or not the guard is on some sort of stimulant (No-Doze, Red Bull, etc.), how long he's been up overall (similar to what ghost-angel suggested) and if the need for sleep is being "encouraged" in some way (knockout drops, white noise, heavy meal, etc...)

Funny story...

A friend was in the Marine Corps at boot camp.

He was beat tired after a full day of rigorous training.

That night he was to pull a guard duty shift.

He was assigned to a guardshack next to a gate in a fence.

As he stood there he leaned up against the shack and put his chin on his chest.

Soon he was sound asleep.

He was awakend by the sound of approaching bootsteps.

He realizes that one of his DIs is walking right for him and that he is toast.

He says one word that gets him out of all the trouble he was surely in...

"Amen!"

Ego.

Yes, yes... I did entertain this at first as well. And it is probably the proper answer in 'game terms' however we all know that the more you are willing to stay awake the more likely you'll find yourself drifting off. Factors such as stimulants, fear, sorrow and anticipation seem to work better than the sheer will to remain awake. In 'game terms' that equals anything that elevates the blood pressure, which to me speaks more CON than EGO, but even CON isn't quite there. In game terms, normal END doesn't wax and wane with drowziness, but maybe there's an LTE-like effect that can be used in cases like this. Just not 'LTE' but an 'Awareness' mechanic.

So I agree with EGO at face value but intuition tells me that there may be a better answer.

Funny story...

A friend was in the Marine Corps at boot camp.

He was beat tired after a full day of rigorous training.

That night he was to pull a guard duty shift.

He was assigned to a guardshack next to a gate in a fence.

As he stood there he leaned up against the shack and put his chin on his chest.

Soon he was sound asleep.

He was awakend by the sound of approaching bootsteps.

He realizes that one of his DIs is walking right for him and that he is toast.

He says one word that gets him out of all the trouble he was surely in...

"Amen!"

Hee hee... that's how my grandpa always got away with sleeping in church.

Of course, Lightsleep or Resistance might affect the roll, too.

3 points of Inventor, and a sharp pencil stub held between the chin and the clavicle strategically will also help. If you don't mind a permanent extra dimple.

Yes, yes... I did entertain this at first as well. And it is probably the proper answer in 'game terms' however we all know that the more you are willing to stay awake the more likely you'll find yourself drifting off. Factors such as stimulants, fear, sorrow and anticipation seem to work better than the sheer will to remain awake. In 'game terms' that equals anything that elevates the blood pressure, which to me speaks more CON than EGO, but even CON isn't quite there. In game terms, normal END doesn't wax and wane with drowziness, but maybe there's an LTE-like effect that can be used in cases like this. Just not 'LTE' but an 'Awareness' mechanic.

So I agree with EGO at face value but intuition tells me that there may be a better answer.

Maybe EGO is complimentary to a CON Roll.

You could also do a BODY Roll - can your body just physically keep going?

There are foolproof ways of staying awake' date=' but they pretty much take an EGO roll to inflict on yourself. And to remember to do it.[/quote']

I suppose you're right. People who are trained to keep watch find a way to get into the proper mindset. That should be a Talent in and of itself, maybe a step-up from Lightsleep.

BUT then there's the majority who isn't as trained to keep themselves awake...

Oh, I'd like to hear what methods you are referring to!

Maybe EGO is complimentary to a CON Roll.

You could also do a BODY Roll - can your body just physically keep going?

BODY may be a good one too, but it's another static stat roll. It would probably be easier just to do something like a EGO Roll + CON complimentary roll and then make a modifications chart for longevity and circumstantial penalties.

I would have to agree with EGO being involved. No matter how tired, you can stay awake on duty if you don't let yourself sit down/lean on something. From personal experience, it was a battle of mind over body, staying on your feet and moving, keeping your mind active on anything other than how nice all your sleeping friends look...

Con roll complimentary to an EGO roll is probably how I'd do it. With +/-'s depending on the hours awake/previous day's activity.

For heroic level, working in LTE, maybe something like EGO - 5 + (END/5). That way, the more LTE you have taken off, the less you have to work off that -5. With a Con roll being complimentary.

I would have to agree with EGO being involved. No matter how tired, you can stay awake on duty if you don't let yourself sit down/lean on something. From personal experience, it was a battle of mind over body, staying on your feet and moving, keeping your mind active on anything other than how nice all your sleeping friends look...

Con roll complimentary to an EGO roll is probably how I'd do it. With +/-'s depending on the hours awake/previous day's activity.

For heroic level, working in LTE, maybe something like EGO - 5 + (END/5). That way, the more LTE you have taken off, the less you have to work off that -5. With a Con roll being complimentary.

Prepare to be my test subject for this mechanic, Lieutenant!

Oh, I'd like to hear what methods you are referring to!

They're not far off from what Comic had suggested...

Biting the tongue

Fingernail in the gums

Thumbnail in the sensitive skin just below the fingernail

Tabasco sauce in the eye (I've not tried this, but I know people who have)

Like I said, they mostly require an EGO roll to inflict on yourself in the first place...

How would you do it?

Would an END-check (9+END/5) be appropriate (Heroic level games)? I don't like the CON idea as much but that might be the closest stat to it, especially since END is CON based.

What about a -1 per hour barring having the Lightsleep Talent?

I'd do it as a Ego based roll, -2 if short of sleep,and tonights dutys can cause this condition...hmm, and the penalty is cumlative.....

There were times when I was pulling Instrument Watch on my ship during the wee hours of the morning, when nothing could keep me awake. Between the lateness, the warmth, and the droning of various ventilation fans, AND my general lack of sleep, it was too much.

I knew better than to sit down, even for a moment, but it didn't help. I would literally be falling asleep on my feet, and the sensation of starting to crumple to the floor would wake me back up. I'd even fade out in the middle of writing log entries.

I didn't have to actually DO anything on that watch, which is probably a contributing factor to my falling asleep.

Going back to a previous edition...

Greg Porter's article "Death in the Great Outdoors" from Adventurer's Club #13 had a person needing 24/REC hours of sleep per night. Each night without enough sleep drained 1 EGO, INT, and PRE.

The character also needed to make an EGO roll to not be distracted while doing something repetitive or boring, with failure by two or more meaning the character fell asleep.