Wings of the Valkyrie update

Dead guy on tab

Re: Wings of the Valkyrie update

On a slightly different but related topic' date=' I thought that the included advice and example for how to run a mystery scenario in RPGs, especially the detailed flowchart model, is well thought out and was very helpful to me in other mystery scenarios.[/quote']

Seconded, that was my "running a mystery" text book. Great stuff there.

mentioned upthread one of the best rpg moments (figured I'd share):

One of the players was "What if Henry Peter Gyrich" became a mutant. So the character was in the government being anti-super, and then got powers, and reformed.

In the alternate timeline, she never got powers, and headed up the fascist america's anti-super program (including the extermination camps).

During the fight at the beer hall, the professor asked her why she was doing this. She picked him up, slammed him into a wall and hissed "Why?" Points at Himmler "You turned me into him"

• 1 month later...

I used to be friends with Rob Bell (we fell out of touch years ago) and I played in several of the CAPITAL PATROL adventures he ran at GenCon. Those tournaments were always moral cliffhangers - with the heroes forced to chose the lesser of evils (and such things are never easy to decide). I think the original "Altered Earth" would make for some terrific roleplaying, especially if the heroes felt that the killing of Hitler was justified and thend iscover it's a slippery slope as other men and women use time travel to address historial wrongs.

I got my copy thankfully. It has mature themes definitely but mature gamers can handle it. Its a great moral dilemna adventure.

Knowing the consequence of letting the CoH do it makes it not a moral dilemma at all. The right answer is forcefed to you. No, what would really be a moral dilemma is, when faced with the CoH trying to steal the time machine and knowing what they plan to do, do you let them?

Knowing the consequence of letting the CoH do it makes it not a moral dilemma at all. The right answer is forcefed to you. No' date=' what would really be a moral dilemma is, when faced with the CoH trying to steal the time machine and knowing what they plan to do, do you let them?[/quote']

My group didn't really see a "right" answer in this adventure - both alternatives appeared to have very bad consequences. IMHO this was necessary for the PCs to have any reason to not allow the Holocaust to be prevented.

However' date=' I suspect (and this is pure supposition based on how convention events like this work) that there may have been one or two things that were worse for the individual characters. Perhaps the lives of some characters are better and the lives of others are worse. Or perhaps the characters don't exist at all in this "new present" and would be looking at living their lives as complete outsiders.[/quote']This would certainly be the case if my character Zl'f ran through Wings of the Valkyrie. Since her father was a Soviet officer during World War Two, the odds of his surviving a Nazi victory (He'd probably either die in combat or be executed by the Nazis - the Nazis in real life killed 3 million Soviet POWs) to father Zl'f would be effectively zilch. So she'd probably never have existed.

Has anyone converted Wings of the Valkyrie to 5th edition/updated images (assuming the rights are okay - anyone know the status of this module as far as rights are concerned)?

My GM in a campaign I was/am in ran that module. There was a nice lead up to it. One character had a Green Lantern-esque magic ring that was being used by a commie at the time. So he had to make an EGO roll when he wanted to switch powers and it controlled how much of the ring's VPP he had. My character's powers is of an unknown origin (to the character) and when he went back in time he kept getting evil impulses sent by one of the REALLY SICK [censored] in Hitler's inner circle. Also had a romantic link to one of the Children. He convinced her that what she was doing was wrong and that the future she was creating was worse, "Why else would we come back to stop you?" His family was also Jewish so he had a stake in it too. Finally he was doing intern work in chrono-physics for the founder of the C of Holocaust.

The alternate future was bad, but not BAD bad. I haven't read the module so I can't say how much the GM used was from there or his own creation. The US was broken up into fragments. We're a Chicagoland-based game so Mayor Daley was actually President Daley (of the Midwest section of the Divided States). There was still anti-mutant laws which sucks because 2 of us were mutants.

It was a disturbing module because to save history you have to save Hitler and fight those who would be heroes under ordinary circumstances. In fact in a previous adventure my character and the one of the group fought on the same side against some thieves. But that wasn't all of the moral questions. When we were going back in time, our alternate-group leader tried to jump in the time bubble with us. That would have been a Bad Thing because crossing the time bubble (outside to inside or vice versa) was fatal. My character used his stretching powers to push him aside which cost him his arm. He has regeneration WITH LIMBS so it wasn't that bad. It was better than the "let him die, if we're successful he's dead anyway" attitude of our teammate.

For the question of why it was recalled, I can understand why it would make people uncomfortable. It's like the Star Trek episode "City on the Edge of Forever" where Kirk has to let a good person die to preserve history. How would you feel if someone made a module called "Desert Moon" where a group called Twin Towers of Power go back in time to the 1980s to kill Osamma bin Laden before he can rise to power and mastermind the 9/11 attacks, and it was the PC's job to stop them?

• 4 weeks later...