Late Night - Desolidification Idea

The Main Man

Re: Late Night - Desolidification Idea

Not legally because:

1. Hardened is a specific advantage for defensive powers, and desolid is not a defensive power

2. Hardened specifically counteracts indirect, penetrating and armour piercing. the days when you could use it to counteract teleport and desolid on entangles are gone.

Of course, if it IS late at night, then the GM might be muzzy-headed enough to allow it :)

What if you could buy Hardened for Desolidification to protect against Affects Desolidified' date=' which in turn could be bought multiple times?[/quote']

This idea isn't new.

Having two advantages that counteract each other for Desolidification has been proposed before. And possibly a worthwhile one at that.

But rolling this in with Hardened probably isn't the best solution, but I understand why it would be appealing to do so.

- Christopher Mullins

Actually I think armor-piercing would be more appropriate. In fact there is already a sort of precedent with cannot be escape with teleportation (+1/4) and armor-piercing teleport (5ER 235). If you did incorporate this however, I would recommend that each step of affects desolid be only (+1/4). Conceptually it works too; you can force your molecules through the obstruction.

Desolid that Affects Desolid would mean you're also Desolid to another Desolid character, and to attacks with one level of Affects Desolid. You would then go to Multiple levels. An attack with Affects Desolid twice would affect a character whose Desolid has Affects Desolid once.

Not legally because:

1. Hardened is a specific advantage for defensive powers, and desolid is not a defensive power

2. Hardened specifically counteracts indirect, penetrating and armour piercing. the days when you could use it to counteract teleport and desolid on entangles are gone.

Of course, if it IS late at night, then the GM might be muzzy-headed enough to allow it :)

But can you not also buy Armor Piercing for Teleportation, which isn't an Attack power?

Actually I think armor-piercing would be more appropriate. In fact there is already a sort of precedent with cannot be escape with teleportation (+1/4) and armor-piercing teleport (5ER 235). If you did incorporate this however' date=' I would recommend that each step of affects desolid be only (+1/4). Conceptually it works too; you can force your molecules through the obstruction.[/quote']

That's basically the idea.

But can you not also buy Armor Piercing for Teleportation' date=' which isn't an Attack power?[/quote']

Yes because that is a specific rule.

I appreciate that it may be seen as a point of principle with general applicability, but I'd rather they called 'AP teleport' something else, for instance 'Elusive teleport' to avoid the confusion.

IMO advantages should have specific uses, not different uses depending on what they are applied to.

Do Desolid characters really need the ability to foil Affects Desolid? What would be the rationale? Seems to me that Affects Desolid is rare enough as is that it shouldn't really be an issue. And to think that someone might pay +1 advantage to have double Affects Desolid seems ridiculous, so the fact that each could be bought multiple times seems almost pointless. I almost never see double Armor Piercing, and that has greater utility than Affects Desolid.

My 2 cents.