Hero Action Points and bribes

Alverant

For the DC campaign I am slowly planning I decided I want to use Hero Action points. On the train ride home tonight I had a rather evil thought. Since the campaign world is one filled with corruption and bribery with few people who have power also having intregrity, why should the GM be immune?

Has anyone tried the practice of bribing the GM for more HAP? I'm not including money or gifts. That's taking things way too far. (So no, buying the GM pizza won't get you anything more than a thanks.)

I'm thinking of smaller things like brushing my cat Lena for one HAP. Brushing my cat Sarge for 2 (he doesn't like it as much plus he's bigger). And other small things at no cost like writing a summary of the adventure for the group, blue booking, constructive feed back, pictures of characters, intentionally failing a skill roll, giving me a good laugh, etc.

I admit this could be a horrible idea. Horrible as in "Steve Long himself will drive to my house and burn my DC books for even SUGGESTING this idea". But I thought it was worth voicing to see what kind of responses I'd get.

Re: Hero Action Points and bribes

It could work or it could like rip the player-group apart. All depends on the players and how they'd handle it. Like, I can't tell you if it's cool or not cause I don't know your group.

It's like be toooooo much for the players I'm with unless it was totally a joke.

Huh?

Your group doesn't already bribe the GM?

What sort of people are you?

GM-bribing is integral to roleplay culture. It's not optional. It's.. it's.. I'm struck speechless.

Are you trying to put the manufacturers and retailers of Cheeto's out of business?!

It's not a horrible idea at all. I would say yes, giving out HAPs for stuff related to the game is perfectly acceptable. No, I wouldn't give them for brushing your cat or doing your dishes but writing a summary of the adventure for the group, blue booking, constructive feed back, pictures of characters, intentionally failing a skill roll, making someone at the table laugh, good in game qoutes, screwing your self to move the plot or because it's in character or letting that villian get away because the GM wants him to, anything that makes the GM's life easier regarding the game, etc. are all valid reason. A pulp game I played in well before 5th ed. came out and suggested HAPs, did this exact thing.

Take a look at Buffy/Angel by Eden games. Drama points can be given for all those things and is encouraged and groups function quite fine with that. It creates a fun dynamic, As a matter of fact, while our Buffy game imploded, all of our Hero games now have some kind HAP due to Unisystem's Drama point rules.

It's just a matter of making sure all players understand the rules for getting them from the get go and making sure everyone has an opportunity to earn them.

Huh?

Your group doesn't already bribe the GM?

What sort of people are you?

GM-bribing is integral to roleplay culture. It's not optional. It's.. it's.. I'm struck speechless.

I soooo hope you're trying to joke. I do shtuff for the GM to say thank you and to repay her time and work and for letting me in her house.

NOT to sneak bennies out of her. That's for slimes who want to "win" not for roleplayers.

Are you trying to put the manufacturers and retailers of Cheeto's out of business?!

There's an idea I can support! Death to orange worms! :P

j/k :winkgrin:

I would submit that slimes who want to "win" ARE role-players. Not to pick a nit, but have you ever seen a group on a series of bad rolls getting absolutely thrashed by the BBEM? It's tragic. They're not happy. Why? Because of the sensation of losing, something no one is terribly interested in. So you may want to take that under consideration; you can be a great role-player and still enjoy combat & the sensation of "I winz!"

Secondly.

Bribing the GM in one form or another is an ancient art, but it's an art, not a science. I think if you just keep it in the back of your mind, rather than trying to codify it, and 'surprise' your players "OMGZ ur in my base! That so fny! srsly!" once in a while with a "free" HAP, then you'll be just fine. I think SL has a valid point in that there's the off chance if you put the players in a sub-set competition (for your favor, and thusly for HAP) you're already leaning a little too heavily towards madness, and that isn't good for anyone.

So, my answer is "Yes, go ahead and do it, but if it gets disruptive or out of hand, stop." I would also submit that you should be stingy. i.e., your natural instinct is going to want to be balanced, and what YOU think is "under control" is probably overly generous. Behave in such a way that you're being stingy; give 'em out only for the really great moments, not for every little joke.

I mention this because one of my players (one of the best cats I've ever played with in fact) tends to have a sense of humor that is very resonant with mine, so when he starts making random cultural references, I start falling off the chair. I've had to learn to NOT reward him for this behavior or he'd be 10 points ahead of everyone inside of 3 sessions. ;)

I have several motivations for offering some kind of reward for players doing something extra. Things like blue booking, writing backgrounds, posting summaries, drawing pictures, adding to the game world (which is still in development) add to the game as a whole. I also want to give each player an equal chance to gain these rewards so I have to give a wide variety of opportunities. Open ended tasks like blue booking allow for the non-artistic players a chance to contribute.

As for brushing my cats; look I've had them for almost a year now. I live alone so I have been their sole caregiver. While I intend to be their caregiver for the rest of their lives, I would like them to know the touch of others to help them be more friendly as a whole. One cat loves being brushed, the other needs to be brushed more. It's a win-win situation.

I won't call it bribery but I will make a list of ways to get extra HAC and let the players decide whether or not to take it. I will keep HAC secret and have a minimum of adding one per session just for showing up and playing.

It depends on the type of players in your group. I see nothing wrong with it. I have a friend who, during his college years gamed at his college and he tells a story about a GM offering experience points to the first player who could bring him a fork ( during a food break... the GM needed one, I guess). This sent the players madly running out to get the utensil. That's just funny. I can see my friend doing it too. He says the GM got his fork.

Why not in-game bribes? The GM could even say out loud what he's willing to accept.

For instance, at some point during the session, the GM says "I need someone to be knocked out and captured. Side benefits include learning the villain's plan in a monologue. The going rate is 1 HAP." Players can accept or not depending on how badly they want the point. (For extra evil, the GM could make it an auction; after a few Phases go by, the offer goes up to 2 HAP, then 3, and so on until the GM decides the offer's no longer good.)

The Buffy RPG uses Drama Points in a similar fashion; if you have, or have access to, that book you can read more.