Errata for King Cobra

Hermit

Do you have the book(s) with King Cobra in the 5th Edition? No? Shoo then, go buy, and then come back. I don't wanna spoil anything for you.

The rest of you guys...first let me say I think Allen Thomas rocks. I think he makes great adventures. But while I loved running the Adventure Sharper than a Serpent's Tooth the first time, I'm running it again, and am embarrassed to say I've found a problem I didn't notice the first time. I hope Allen (if he reads this) doesn't take offense, because I really am a fan of the work he did for HERO but...

How it should go:

Hannah Hapless, the delicate DNPC screamed as the horrible snake man strode before her. "I am, King Cobra, you will bow before me. You will.. sssserve." He pressed his scaled hand against her forehead.

Instantly Hannah's eyes went serpentine, scales forming about her neck. She knew this was her lord and master, "Yes master, I live to serve."

King Cobra chuckled, "Of course you do, now, tell me of Captain Dogooder. EVERYTHING you know of that interfering mammal."

"Of course, Master..." She hissed, eager to please.

More likely is this

Hannah Hapless, the delicate DNPC screamed as the horrible snake man strode before her. "I am, King Cobra, you will bow before me. You will.. sssserve." He pressed his scaled hand against her forehead.

Instantly Hannah's eyes went serpentine, scales forming about her neck. She knew that the day at the spa last week had been totally undone.

King Cobra removed his hand, "Now, tell me of.."

Hannah slapped him, "Creep!"

"But you serve me!" King Cobra said in shock.

"No I don't," Hannah said ignoring the 4th wall,"You forgot to buy spirit or mental transforms to go with your physical transform, dumbass!"

"Well, you see, it invades the gene itself and..."

"Oh please, even if that wasn't merely the FX, your other agents all have it as Psychological limitations, not physical ones. What are you trying to pull?"

"Uhm, look, this is a good story line, just roll with it, kay?"

"Huff Fine. But I hope Captain DoGooder kicks your butt."

So, for those who have his stats, how would you write in the other part that makes people loyal?

Should I just hand wave it and tell Hannah to stop whining?

Link a spiritual transform (No need for that ECV stuff) to the physical one in the multipower?

Link a mental transform (will need the Based on ECV advantage for that) to the physical one in the multipower?

Use another power besides Transform in place? (Like that Aztec Deity in Mystic World who uses a Summon)

Re: Errata for King Cobra

Good catch, Hermit. :thumbup:

I would suggest doing something similar to what I did for my update to Profesor Muerte: Change that Psychological Limitation to a Physical Limitation, All The Time/Fully Impairing. The point value would be the same, and KC could inflict it using his existing Physical Transform. Note that according to the rulebook description of that Disad, "Physical Limitation can also represent mental or psychological problems which cannot be overcome with Mind Control or other Mental Powers." (FREd p. 218/5ER p. 335) Since the Coil Gene writes obedience to KC into the victim's very genes, that's not an unreasonable way to run the Disad IMHO.

I wouldn't let a PC do this, of course, but for a villain's plot device I think it's acceptable, and it saves the bother of rewriting the villain. Besides, like you said, it's a good story line. ;)

Yeah, I admit that physical limitation option is probably my least favorite simply because it's the sort of thing I'd never allow a PC, and allows the FX to over ride the rules some, BUUUT it certainly does seem to be the most elegant and simple solution here.

I think you overthought it.

Since it's working against the physical traits of the person - even if it's adding a genetically encoded (physically encoded) Psychological Disadvantage. It's not working against the characters mind, it's working against their brain so to speak.

I see no reason to change it.

I think you overthought it.

Since it's working against the physical traits of the person - even if it's adding a genetically encoded (physically encoded) Psychological Disadvantage. It's not working against the characters mind, it's working against their brain so to speak.

I see no reason to change it.

Then what's the point of a mental or spiritual transformation power in the first place? Should transformation never have been broken into three parts in the first place if FX trumps all?

And Ghost Angel, I hope that didn't sound snarky, I'm honestly just curious. It is entirely likely I AM overthinking it, or letting a little snag bother me about it more than it should. As it involves an NPC under GM control, it's not going to ruin the game if I just let it slide, but it doesn't stop my brain from gnawing on it so to speak.

Then what's the point of a mental or spiritual transformation power in the first place? Should transformation never have been broken into three parts in the first place if FX trumps all?

Don't sound snarky it all :)

I use Mental Transform for things like memories. Or when the Transform is obviously a Mental Power.

Spiritual Transform I would reserve solely for games with a defined "soul" aspect to them. You have to define what a Soul is before you can alter it.

Since not all games want to get into the Body/Mind/Soul side of things leaving Transform at the default Body Does It All level of things is more universal.

The other problem you run into in this specific scenario is King Cobra has no mental capabilities - it is specifically physical (genetic are the SFX).

Playing up the whole Nature/Nurture aspect of you eventual psychological makeup, King Cobra goes strait for the Nature side, it's not learned behavior (Nurture) but genetic behavior (Nature).

While there's no reason to not make it a Mental Transform I think it's current build is all that's needed.

To further muddy waters - I would use Mental Transforms in Mentalist Campaigns to be allowed to alter any Mental Power the same way Body Transform alters things now.

Given that some games do utilize the breakout of B/M/S, and if your games does, by all means change it. It may be a better fit in your games conceptualization. But a lot of, especially Superhero, games don't bother breaking things down like that.