[Character] Winter

Psylint

Perhaps, Kirby will like this one better. It's anti-martial artist. :)

She doesn’t talk about what happened before she appeared, clothed only in her long underwear at the National Petro-Chem Far North oil derrick, her skin a deathly pallor of blue and purple, as if she were one large well-worn bruise, her hair frozen into dark spiky icicles. Rushed inside by parka armored rough necks, smothered with blankets, drowned in hot tea and cocoa, she accepted their hospitality with the detached grace of the Party Elite. State Security was informed immediately and very shortly thereafter a panicked aide rushed into the Chairman’s Information Secretary’s office to convey the news. Information Secretary Nabochov ordered a helicopter prepared and barged into the Chairman’s office, such an opportunity was too important to waste, what with the fallout from that debacle in Cuba still fresh on the national and international consciousness, the Chairman was in dire need of a “feel good” photo-op.

En route, State Security briefed the Chairman on what little they had discovered. Apparently the girl was Natasha Kruschev, age 13. She was accompanying her father, Dr. Nicolai Kruschev, a geologist with National Petro-Chem on a natural gas and oil exploration survey in northern Siberia. Apparently, the survey team including the Kruschevs had radioed into National Petro-Chem Headquarters three days ago at their assigned exploration coordinates. A vicious stationary front caused a massive blizzard that evening that is still blowing. Average temperatures were below -20 C, the wind chill putting it closer to -30 C. The State Sec. officer further informed the Chairman that after the initial shock of finding little Natasha alive, the rough-necks halted operations and organized a search of the immediate vicinity. Visibility was very poor in the snowy conditions and after several hours no other survivors were found. The foreman interviewed Natasha trying to get her to indicate where the rest of her group was, but could get no useful information.

Almost nine hours after Natasha had come in from the cold, Chairman Federov offered her his hand. Only years of political savvy, institutionalized KGB paranoia and full awareness of the press cameras kept him from grimacing. It was like plunging into an arctic flow, so cold it burnt.

The press ran the story for a few days, and eventually it died away in favor of the arms race with America, productivity factors out of Ukraine, and other important stories of the day. In the mean time, Natasha was kept at a secret facility run by State Security. Russia had always been on the cutting edge of “paranormal warfare” and had long established secret facilities for psychics, mutants, and other potentially paradigm shifting “human” weapons since the time of the Great Peter.

And so little Natasha grew up amongst the remote viewers, clairvoyants, telekinetics, fire starters and other odd balls State Security had found (or believed they found). As she became older, her affinity for the cold expressed in new and dramatic ways, creating spontaneous snow storms, sheets of ice, even encasing herself in kind of superhard frozen armor. State Security was ecstatic. Finally, after all of these years they had found an advantage over the capitalists.

Things were not so cheerful for Natasha. She was, perhaps by nature, reserved and aloof, but the bitter cold that burnt the Chairman back in 1956 stayed just as bitter, even began radiating as time went on. She also stopped aging, stopped growing. On her 16th birthday, she began Special Elite Forces training with State Security to be molded into the weapon for which they had so long dreamed.

In the late 1980’s and early 1990’s she was one of the last guardians of the Communist regime, using her powers to disrupt protesting mobs, halt the advance of treacherous tank divisions, protecting State Sec. dignitaries. But ultimately, even with reinforcement from the few other human weapons still loyal to State Sec., it was not enough to turn the tidal wave of popular demand for reform. After 40 years, few remembered the minor story of the orphan who miraculously survived a Siberian blizzard. Given her appearance, even the hardliners among the new regime were inclined to forgive the “child” for what could only be rightly ascribed to the actions of her evil handlers. Or so went the public story.

Privately, the new State Security had no intention of letting such a valuable asset rot in prison or be executed. So just a few weeks after the “Fall of Communism” Natasha was once again under the not so tender administration of State Security.

So what makes the little girl tick? I barely dare to hazard a guess, but that’s part of it. How would you feel if you were stuck in the body of petite 13 year old for sixty years? Too cold to be held? Heck, hardly anyone “normal” can stand to be in the same room with her for more than a few minutes unless they’re wearing a parka and sitting on a heater. Whisked off and trained to be a “perfect weapon?” The only people she’s known in the last 60 years were either freaks, ultra patriotic State Sec. fanatics (one does not say Fascist lightly in the Motherland), or were shooting at her. And what happened that day in Northern Siberia? She won’t talk about it, but … I’ve a theory. In any event, it’s a lot of shock to go through at such a tender age. I’m not sure what happened up there so long ago, but it hit her hard, I gotta believe. She’s cold, down to her soul. I’m not sure if she really feels any empathy with the rest of humanity. She’s not the chainsaw wielding cannibalistic type of sociopath, but I get the sense that she views human beings like ants; minor annoyances that aren’t worth bothering about unless they get uppity, then to be squashed totally but with the least energy expended possible.

We were talking once, me shivering on top of the heater. Well actually, we weren’t talking. I was just there, waiting for her to talk. Anyway, as I’m contemplating whether or not the Doc’ll have to amputate something, she says, “You know Psi, sometimes I really think I’m all ready dead, that my body is out there buried beneath a snow drift, or the excrement of some scavenger. And the rest of me, just can’t accept it. And sometimes, I know that’s just wishful thinking.” I stared at her the whole time, and I swear I saw a tear freeze on her eye. She popped up, brushed her eyes and told me “You need to go.” And I beat feet without a word. You don’t cross Winter when she’s like that. Ain’t healthy.

Oh me? Name’s Psylint, but I’m no one of consequence. In fact, you’re going to forget I ever told you any of this. In fact, the only thing that you’re going to remember is everybody has a story and maybe it’s wrong to judge from ignorance.

Physically: Winter is 4’8” 80 lbs., she wears her black hair in a military “high and tight.” Despites the innumerable battles and countless wounds she has suffered through her years of service, she has no scars. The severity of her hair cut prevents her from being “cute” despite her small stature. Her eyes are variously amber to brilliant green. They’d be quite pretty when they’re like that if it didn’t usually mean you’d just upset her. Her posture is always rigid, she moves with a purpose, seems more to be enduring existence as a minor unavoidable annoyance rather than living. Despite all that, there’s something about her… Never mind, you’ve a plane to catch and a lot to forget.

Re: [Character] Winter

Powers:

9 Life Support

Immortal 5, Extreme Heat 2, Extreme Cold 2

8 Ice Patch

Change Env. -2 DCV 1"

Personal Immunity +1/4

limited range -1/4 only targets on ground -1/4, lim power Does not work against targets with Environmental Movement Ice +0

12 Power Defense

38 Elemental Control Ice/Cold Control [75]

1. 25 Chilling Embrace

2d6 DEX & SPD Drain

simultaneous +1/2, delayed return 5 turns, +1/4 1/2 end +1/4

Continuous +1, AoE immediate radius +3/4

Extra segment -1/2

2. 18 Frost touch

5Def 5d6 Entangle

AoE Hex +1/2, Both target and entangle take damage +1/4

no barriers -1/4, Vuln. Fire/heat -1, no range -1/2

3. 37 Frozen Armor

+30rd +20red Forcefield

hardened +1/4, Reduced Endurance +1/4

4. 25 Ice Slides

+30" Running

Reduced Endurance +1/4

Turn Mode -1/4, No Non Combat Multiplier -1/4

5. 30 Snow Storm

Darkness to Sight & Hearing 4" Radius [Targeting]

Reduced End +1/4, Personal Immunity +1/4

Limited Range 30" -1/4

6. 10 Snow Drift

3Def 3d6 Entangle

AoE Radius 4" +1, both take damage +1/4, PI +1/4,

Reduced End +1/4

no barriers -1/4, only for targets on ground -1/4, Legs only -1

Doesn't interrupt Foci -1, Vuln. To Fire/heat -1

7. 37 Bitter Freeze Ray

12d6 Energy Blast

Reduced Endurance +1/4

Total Powers: 249

Winter weighs in at 360 pts. as the ultimate Commie Bad Guy. Her disadvantages are primarily associated with being a Commie Bad Guy, subject to order by Commie Bad Guy leaders. Hunted by all that is good, right, and just. She's got the 3' tall Physical Lim. (Even though shes 4'3") and a couple of Psych. Lim. to represent her basic Fatalism and Ruthless temper (i.e. she's slow to anger, but doesn't suffer fools. Literally she gets enraged when she takes Body). Oh and distinctive features being a tiny girl who's skin is still blue and deathly cold to the touch.

In any event, the disadvantages add up, with 10-15 points to spare depending.

My initial thoughts are she's way too well protected against melee types. The combination of entangles, even though they cannot be used in multiple power attacks, are still quite powerful.

Anticipating some early comments

1. the delayed segment on Chilling Embrace. I wanted something akin to gradual effect, i.e. it takes a while for the air to get that cold, but gradual effect on drains is just a freaking book keeping nightmare, and delayed segment was close enough.

2. Presence defense. If I had another 10 pts. it would all go to presence defense to better represent her fatalism. But it's an old munchkin build, and I'm hoping to get some advice to bring it down to earth.

3. 30 Con. It's a lot, but she really does burn endurance like there's no tomorrow, and I'm not sure having 100 end and 25 Recovery would be any better.

Thanks in advance.

Nice backstory, Psylint. :thumbup:

Winter would be an interesting counterpoint or opposite number to Zl'f, who is also Russian but took a very different path. She could safely interact with Winter because she's immune to cold. They're of similar size (Zl'f is 4' 9" tall) and they share some disadvantages, since Zl'f is also immortal and has the body of a 14-year-old.

It'd be hard to come up with a personality less like Winter than Zl'f.

Thanks Trebs,

Winter was one of those odd character that I started building an entirely different way (an DI brick if you can believe it). I like the way she turned out. I was kinda hoping Kirby would chime in and tell where I've been unforgivably munchkin.

I think a Zl'f/Winter interaction, social or otherwise, would be neat. As always, feel free to add her as an NPC to your campaign.

Peace

I dont have the numbers handy, but Chill Out Woman is sporting a 25 resistant PD/ED - and she's suppose to be a tank. So the 30 might be high end but livable - at least if she did a guest shot in our game, that is. I might call it good at 25/25 PD and ED.

Also, if youre concerned about being overly tough, go with a "takes x2 body and stun from fire attacks" disad. That'll even things up from time to time.

Um, wow.

I rarely play energy projectors, and think 30rpd/30red as a brick standard, but if 25/25 is good for EP's consider me sold. Sometimes I can't see where my inner munchkin ends (including as in this case trying to shoe horn a power that should belong into an elemental control into that EC's AP requirement) and where community standards are.

I also wanted to include this gem from the Anti- High DCV tricks

Flash Freeze... 2Def 3d6 Entangle, Continuous +1, Damage Shield +1/2, 0 Endurance +1/2; no barriers -1/4, Vuln. to fire/heat -1. Active Cost 75, Real Cost after EC bonus 16.

Not that I'd allow her to have it with all the other tools that she's got, but she could probably switch out for this.

Peace

Ah, Ice Powers. The source of many "Whaddya mean I can't put my Armor in my EC anymore" screams. ;)

Winter does burn a lot of END, and thus I would suggest getting her FF to 0 END at all costs or changing it to Armor (still in the EC, but now requiring GM's permission.) Her CV is on the low side but she has the PI Darkness that may help a lot on that. If she is reliant on that Attack-from-Whiteout combo, it does dramatically reduce her usefulness in any sort of villain team-up.

Dude, who says "commie" anymore? ;)

I think a Zl'f/Winter interaction' date=' social or otherwise, would be neat. As always, feel free to add her as an NPC to your campaign.[/quote']The reverse is of course also true.

I could see them forming a tentative friendship just because of their common Disads and background. I'm not quite certain if you intended Winter as a villain or as a darker type of heroine (and the line between those two can get a bit blurred), but Zl'f can make friends with almost anyone who's not trying to beat her up or take over the world. I suspect she'd feel a lot of compassion for Winter regardless.

Thanks Treb,

Winter is kind of special. Like I said, I had originally intended to make her something entirely different, but she wasn't having any of that. Sometimes the characters you make, whether in a game like this or in my writing, take a life of their own and absolutely refuse to "play by the rules." They're often the best ones; least in my experience.

She's had a rough time of it, and more issues than the Economist, but there's something there I think worth exploring one of these days. If I ever get around to writing it. What did happen so long ago in Siberia? Is her apparent sociopathy genuine or a more a rigid, self-protective mask so long in place that she's forgotten how to express what's underneath it? Has she tried to divorce herself from humanity, as a survival response, due to her inability to be at all intimate with any of its members? (random folks like Zl'f excluded).

Guess I have darker, broody characters on the brain. Even my "knight in shining armor" has more than a little edge to him.

Now if I can only figure out how to build my namesake.

Peace

Thanks Treb,

Winter is kind of special. Like I said, I had originally intended to make her something entirely different, but she wasn't having any of that. Sometimes the characters you make, whether in a game like this or in my writing, take a life of their own and absolutely refuse to "play by the rules." They're often the best ones; least in my experience.

She's had a rough time of it, and more issues than the Economist, but there's something there I think worth exploring one of these days. If I ever get around to writing it. What did happen so long ago in Siberia? Is her apparent sociopathy genuine or a more a rigid, self-protective mask so long in place that she's forgotten how to express what's underneath it? Has she tried to divorce herself from humanity, as a survival response, due to her inability to be at all intimate with any of its members? (random folks like Zl'f excluded).

Guess I have darker, broody characters on the brain. Even my "knight in shining armor" has more than a little edge to him.

I think it sounds very interesting, although I'm not into playing characters like that.

Zl'f and Winter's backstories could easily cross. In the 1950's and 60's Zl'f's father was involved in the Soviet nuclear weapons program and possibly its super-soldiers program. His plane was shot down over Siberia in 2000 when he was the District commander and he himself taken prisoner (and subsequently rescued - to Zl'f's astonishment, as she'd assumed her father was dead - in late 2001 by Zl'f and her teammates) from a radical nationalist group trying to create supersoldiers and recreate the Soviet Union. The two girls might have met at gymnastics school or been neighbors at some point - perhaps Winter's parents were important Party members.

Winter could have been one of the experimental supers at that facility when MidGuard trashed it - they fought several others but Winter could have escaped in the confusion sort of like TV's Dark Angel and its Project Manticore.

In our campaign, metahumans didn't go public until 2000, although a few had been operating "below the radar" for several years and the idea of non-meta costumed adventurers went back to World War Two.

• 3 weeks later...

Cougar vs Winter would be him spending half his Phases Breaking out of Entangles. Tactics... I would go all Ninja on her. :evilgrin:

[b]Cougar - Alexi McKenna[/b]

[b][u]VAL[/u]   [u]CHA[/u]   [u]Cost[/u]   [u]Total[/u]   [u]Roll[/u]      [u]Notes[/u][/b]
30    STR     20   30      15-       HTH Damage 6d6  END [3]
35    DEX     75   35      16-       OCV 12 DCV 12
30    CON     40   30      15-
15    BODY    10   15      12-
23    INT     13   23      14-       PER Roll 14-
11    EGO     2   11      11-       ECV: 4
23    PRE     13   23      14-       PRE Attack: 4 1/2d6
24    COM     7   24      14-
15    PD      9   15             15 PD (15 rPD)
15    ED      9   15             15 ED (15 rED)
7    SPD     25   7                 Phases:  2, 4, 6, 7, 9, 11, 12
12    REC     0   12
60    END     0   60
45    STUN    0   45
10    RUN      8   10"                END [2]
2    SWIM     0   2"                END [1]
20    LEAP     0   20"                20" forward, 10" upward

[b]CHA Cost: 231[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]POWERS[/u][/b]
20     [b][i]Natural Born Warrior[/i][/b]: Multipower, 30-point reserve,  (30 Active Points); all slots Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -1/2) - END=
1u     1)  [b][i]Accurate Strike[/i][/b]: Hand-To-Hand Attack +6d6 (30 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2), Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -1/2) - END=6
2u     2)  [b][i]Lethal Strike[/i][/b]: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 2d6 (4d6 w/STR) (30 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -1/2) - END=6
1u     3)  [b][i]It's All in the Reflexes[/i][/b]: Missile Deflection (Any Ranged Attack), Adjacent Hex (+1/2) (30 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -1/2), Requires A DEX Roll (-1/4), Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4) - END=6
1u     4)  [b][i]Economical Strength[/i][/b]: +30 STR (30 Active Points); Conditional Power Only To Disarm, Escape, & Grab (-1/2), No Figured Characteristics (-1/2), Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -1/2) - END=6
      - END=
6     [b][i]Powerful Legs[/i][/b]: Leaping +14" (20" forward, 10" upward) (14 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (x3 END; -1), Requires An Acrobatics Skill Roll (-1/2) - END=3
6     [b][i]Grace[/i][/b]: Knockback Resistance -5", Requires A DEX Roll  (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points; +0) (10 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -1/2), Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4) - END=2
      - END=
4     [b][i]Climbing Claws[/i][/b]: Clinging (normal STR) (10 Active Points); OIF (-1/2), Costs Endurance (-1/2), Requires A Climbing Skill Roll  (-1/2) - END=1
10     [b][i]Biosteel Bodysuit[/i][/b]: Damage Resistance (15 PD/15 ED) (15 Active Points); OIF (-1/2) - END=0
10     [b][i]Optical camouflage[/i][/b]: Sight Group Images 1" radius, +/-6 to PER Rolls (28 Active Points); Set Effect (Only to Camouflage Wearer; -1), No Range (-1/2), IIF (-1/4) - END=3

[b]POWERS Cost: 61[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]SKILLS[/u][/b]
3      Acrobatics 16-
3      Acting 14-
0      AK: Vancouver, BC 8-
3      Breakfall 16-
3      Climbing 16-
3      Combat Piloting (Jump Jet) 16-
0      Concealment 8-
0      Conversation 8-
3      Criminology 14-
0      Deduction 8-
10      Defense Maneuver I-IV 
0      High Society 8-
3      Interrogation 14-
3      Jack of All Trades
1      1)  PS: Actor (2 Active Points) 11-
1      2)  PS: Circus Preformer (2 Active Points) 11-
1      3)  PS: Model (2 Active Points) 11-
1      4)  PS: Stuntman (2 Active Points) 11-
0      5)  PS: Superhero 8-
0      Language:  English (idiomatic; literate) (5 Active Points)
1      Language:  French (basic conversation)
3      Oratory 14-
0      Paramedics 8-
3      Persuasion 14-
3      Scholar
1      1)  KS: Canadian Criminal Law And Procedure (2 Active Points) 11-
1      2)  KS: The Acting World (2 Active Points) 11-
1      3)  KS: The Circus World (2 Active Points) 11-
1      4)  KS: The Criminal Underworld (2 Active Points) 11-
1      5)  KS: The Law Enforcement World (2 Active Points) 11-
1      6)  KS: The Modeling World (2 Active Points) 11-
1      7)  KS: The Stunt World (2 Active Points) 11-
1      8)  KS: The Superhuman World (2 Active Points) 11-
3      Shadowing 14-
3      Stealth 16-
3      Streetwise 14-
1      Tactics 8-
1      Teamwork 8-
0      TF: Small Motorized Ground Vehicles 
0      WF:  Clubs, Fist-Loads, Thrown Rocks, Unarmed Combat

[b]SKILLS Cost: 67[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]PERKS[/u][/b]
1      Fringe Benefit Canadian:  Passport
2      Reputation:  Reckless Hero (A large group) 11-, +1/+1d6

[b]PERKS Cost: 3[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]TALENTS[/u][/b]
5      Rapid Healing

[b]TALENTS Cost: 5[/b]
[b][u]Value[/u]  [u]DISADVANTAGES[/u][/b]
10     Dependent NPC:  The Reed Family (Mother, Father, & Sister) 8- (Normal; Useful Noncombat Position or Skills; Unaware of character's adventuring career/Secret ID)
10     Distinctive Features:  Mutant (Not Concealable; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable Only By Technology Or Major Effort)
20     Enraged:  When Innocents Injured (Uncommon), go 11-, recover 8-
10     Hunted:  RCMP 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Watching)
20     Hunted:  VIPER 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Harshly Punish)
10     Hunted:  Green Dragon 11- (As Pow, Mildly Punish)
10     Psychological Limitation:  Kill Only To Protect Innocents Common, Moderate
15     Psychological Limitation:  Protective of Innocents (Common, Strong)
15     Psychological Limitation:  Thrillseeker (Common, Strong)
10     Reputation:  Reckless Hero, 11-
5     Rivalry:  Professional (Close Combat Fighters; Rival is As Powerful; Seek to Outdo, Embarrass, or Humiliate Rival; Rival Aware of Rivalry)
15     Social Limitation:  Secret Identity: Alexi McKenna Frequently (11-), Major

[b]DISADVANTAGES Points: 150[/b]

Base Pts: 200
Exp Required: 17
Total Exp Available: 17
Exp Unspent: 0
Total Character Cost: 367

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt to prove it. ;)

QM

P.S.: Is this the full write up? And if so would you like her done up in Hero Designer v3?

Some background comments.

National Petro-Chem Far North? Sorry, gotta change the name. Try Siberpromontazh or SPM for short. Russian companies were not organized the same as western ones, even now there are major structural differences. There were (and still are) hundreds of little institutes and companies spread across the regions (even individual oblasts) who are responsible for all work done in that region. Not operating companies, just the survey, design, procure and construct aspects. Send a PM to Vestnik for better names, he’s a Rooskie afterall.

Name has to change to Natasha Kruscheva. A trick of Russian is that females add an ‘a’ sound to their family name. Also, what’s her middle name? Trying to find a Russian (of any sex, type or style) who has no middle name is like trying to find 30+ hooker in a Bangkok bar. It is not going to happen. I rather like Illyana, but Tatyana is pretty or maybe Elizabeta?

I agree that Cougar probably has the advantage. (I had had Snow Storm (the Darkness) Usable as an attack, which might have swayed things a good bit, but I decided that was too munchkin even for me). The combination of aoe entangles and darkness effects you might just have a hard time finding me, but I don't think I can put you down as you shrug off 12 normal dice pretty easily, and I don't think there's a chance you'd stay stuck long enough to haymaker.

I have a full writeup with disadvantages and the lot, but I could never get HeroDesigner to work. I'm doing well if I can get email to work, and was using Excel spreadsheets for characters for basically ever. I appreciate the offer, but I can't really use it. However, if you want to full write up, and you can read Excel, I'd be happy to send it to you.

Peace

P.S. I regret my ignorance of all things Russian (though I had some vague recollection of an extreme plurality of names endemic to Russian literature). I'm afraid that in any campaign I run, the Russians were conquered by the English in 1647 after stomping Gustavus Adolphus changed the naming conventions and the language. I mean, i like Champs and all, but learning a new language that doesn't even have the same alphabet is a level of dedication I'm not willing to make.

Cheers

Name has to change to Natasha Kruscheva. A trick of Russian is that females add an ‘a’ sound to their family name. Also' date=' what’s her middle name? Trying to find a Russian (of any sex, type or style) who has no middle name is like trying to find 30+ hooker in a Bangkok bar. It is not going to happen. I rather like Illyana, but Tatyana is pretty or maybe Elizabeta?[/quote']It is my understanding that Russians use patronymic names as "middle" names. So a man whose father was named Yurii will use Yurievich (or -vitch) as a middle name; his sister would use Yurievna.

Psylint, you've don't have to learn a new language. Just hit a library, pull down a volume of Tolstoy and rip off... Ummm.... I mean, 'take notes' of characters names, and then use them. It's little things like this that help bring the character to life instead of just being a collection of points.

--------------------------------

It is my understanding that Russians use patronymic names as "middle" names. So a man whose father was named Yurii will use Yurievich (or -vitch) as a middle name; his sister would use Yurievna.
That's still true for men, it's changing for women though. Favourite Grandmothers names are proliferating. My secretaries middle name is Serikovna, her father Serik runs a our geomantics (That's a Russian-English translation of 'Survey') crew. But my lead electrical commissioning engineer is a Marina Ludmilla Zagorelskaya, named after her Mothers mother.

--------------------------------

Back at the character.

She's could be an Avatar of deep winter, not the early winter where it's down at -20C or so, but the deep -40C howling winds (hmmm, add wind chill and call it -65C on your skin) of a Siberian winter.

You know, I'd be inclined to back off on her abilities in a high ambient temperature. Then, as the winter approaches and temperatures drop, have her blossom into full power.

I took some liberties and tweaked her a bit.

Please tell me what you think?

Winter - Natasha

VAL...CHA...Cost...Total...Roll......Notes

10....STR.....0...10......11-.......HTH Damage 2d6 END [1]

20....DEX.....30...20......13-.......OCV 7 DCV 7

30....CON.....40...30......15-

12....BODY....4...12......11-

10....INT.....0...10......11-.......PER Roll 11-

10....EGO.....0...10......11-.......ECV: 3

10....PRE.....0...10......11-.......PRE Attack: 2d6

10....COM.....0...10......11-

2....PD......0...2/24.............2/24 PD (0/22 rPD)

6....ED......0...6/24.............6/24 ED (0/18 rED)

5....SPD.....20...5.................Phases: 3, 5, 8, 10, 12

15....REC.....14...15

60....END.....0...60

35....STUN....3...35

30....RUN......0...30"................END [3]

2....SWIM.....0...2"................END [1]

2....LEAP.....0...2"................2" forward, 1" upward

CHA Cost: 111

Cost...POWERS

30.....Cryokinetic Powers: Elemental Control, 60-point powers - END=

30.....1) Dense Ice Armor: Force Field (22 PD/18 ED), Hardened (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (60 Active Points) - END=2

30.....2) Ice Slides: Running +24" (30" total), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (60 Active Points) - END=2

..... - END=

75.....Cryokinetic Powers: Multipower, 75-point reserve - END=

7u.....1) Chilling Embrace: Drain DEX 5d6, Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per Minute; +1/4), Area Of Effect Nonselective (One Hex; +1/4) (75 Active Points) - END=7

7u.....2) Ice Blast: Energy Blast 12d6, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (75 Active Points) - END=3

7u.....3) Ice/Snow Blizzard: Darkness to Sight Group 5" radius, Personal Immunity (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (75 Active Points) - END=3

6u.....4) Ice Block: Entangle 4d6, 4 DEF, Area Of Effect (One Hex; +1/2) (60 Active Points) - END=6

7u.....5) Snow Drift: Entangle 3d6, 3 DEF, Personal Immunity (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4), Area Of Effect (5" Radius; +1) (75 Active Points) - END=3

..... - END=

10.....Ice Patch: Change Environment 1" radius, -2 OCV, Limited Power Not vs Enviromental Movement: Ice (+0), Personal Immunity (+1/4) (12 Active Points); Limited Power Only on Ground Targets (-1/4) - END=1

9.....Life Support (Longevity: Immortal; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat) - END=0

12.....Power Defense (12 points) - END=0

POWERS Cost: 230

Cost...SKILLS

0......Acting 8-

0......AK: Moscow, Russia 8-

0......Climbing 8-

0......Concealment 8-

0......Conversation 8-

0......Deduction 8-

0......High Society 8-

0......Language: Russian (idiomatic; literate) (5 Active Points)

0......Paramedics 8-

0......Persuasion 8-

0......PS: KGB (Later FSB) Agent (Everyman Skill) 11-

0......Shadowing 8-

0......Stealth 8-

0......TF: Small Motorized Ground Vehicles

0......WF: Clubs, Fist-Loads, Thrown Rocks, Unarmed Combat

SKILLS Cost: 0

Cost...TALENTS

2......Environmental Movement: Ice Walking (no penalties on)

TALENTS Cost: 2

Value..DISADVANTAGES

15.....Distinctive Features: Short (4'3") (Not Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

15.....Distinctive Features: Blue Skin and Low Body Temperature (Not Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

15.....Enraged: When Takes BODY (Uncommon), go 11-, recover 11-

15.....Hunted: KGB (Later the FSB) 11- (Mo Pow, NCI, Watching)

10.....Hunted: UNTIL and Other Government Agencies 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Watching)

15.....Hunted: Enemies of the Soviet (Later Russian) Peoples 8- (Mo Pow, Harshly Punish)

15.....Psychological Limitation: Loyal To USSR and Its Ideals (Common, Strong)

10.....Reputation: Soviet (Later Russian) Superheroine, 11-

15.....Social Limitation: Secret ID: Natasha (Frequently, Major)

20.....Social Limitation: Sunject to Orders (Frequently, Severe)

DISADVANTAGES Points: 145

Base Pts: 200

Exp Required: 0

Total Exp Available: 0

Exp Unspent: 0

Total Character Cost: 343

Background/History

Personality/Motivation

Powers/Tactics

Campaign Use

Appearance

Cheers

QM

That's still true for men' date=' it's changing for women though. Favorite Grandmothers names are proliferating. My secretaries middle name is Serikovna, her father Serik runs a our geomantics (That's a Russian-English translation of 'Survey') crew. But my lead electrical commissioning engineer is a Marina Ludmilla Zagorelskaya, named after her Mothers mother.[/quote']That's interesting; I didn't know that. Thanks.

You said it's "changing" so I assume plenty of women are still using the traditional patronymic?

QM,

It's a fair revisionment. The original munchkin build had 1 EC and 2 multipowers, 1 for her attacks, and 1 for "secondary effects" primarily drains, so things tended to stack in a hurry.

Personally, I'm not sure I would go this far to make Winter "fair." In particular the one hex entangle seems odd, why not bump it up to the full reserve? By cutting down her admittedly brickish forcefield, her lack of DCV becomes more telling.

The original version, which was admittedly munchkin as I could possibly make it, was a "monster" level villain. She'd drop an 8" ice patch over the battle space, double stack the entangles and then haymaker the energy blast into her captured prey. She was a high intensity encounter, stop everyone in their tracks, hit one of them really hard, head for the hills to catch your breath kind of character.

Though it occurs to me, that a certain refinement is indeed in order. I'll take some of your ideas and see if I can make something that's passably fair.

Cheers

[[Repped]]