Still another try at a superhero base

Mark Rand

Yep, I'm designing another base. This one, however, has no magic involved. It's just a nice estate, complete with an outside pool, tennis and basketball courts, guest houses, lush gardens, and, in one corner, greenhouses, sheds, and a barn with a corral and pasture space.

Before we go any further, it should be noted that, in this universe, Japan defeated the United States in World War II, and the United States is part of the Japanese version of the British Commonwealth of Nations.

The senior domestic staff for the estate consists of the majordomo, cook, butler, and housekeeper. The various maids, housemen, and maintenance people are under the housekeeper and butler while the cook is in charge of her crew.

An administrator is in charge of the team's business and clerical affairs. She is assisted by a team of office ladies and works with the sponsor's legal and PR people.

The technical manager handles the computer and communications systems as well as the other engineering systems.

The head gardener and his team maintain the grounds and a groom cares for the eight horses in the barn. (One horse is the groom's.)

More to come.

Re: Still another try at a superhero base

I have a base for you.... Here's the original thread:

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32904&highlight=viore

The PDF is too large for this site, but I'd be happy to e-mail it to you for your perusal. :)

Sure, send me the PDF. I'll send you my email address privately.

Here is a partial list of the superhero base staff. All senior staff members, including those listed, meet once a week to discuss things.

Jacob Anderson...majordomo (or estate manager)

Helen Anderson (Jacob's wife)...cook

David Anderson (Jacob & Helen's son)...butler

Marie Anderson (David's wife)...housekeeper (supervises the maids & housemen)

Elaine Davies...administrator

John Thompson...head gardener & landscape architect

Molly Wells...stable manager

Mariko Yamashiro...technical manager

PDF sent :)

As I discussed in the original thread the Viore Mansion is a modification of the old '80s X-Men mansion. It's served us well and continues to be modified based in our campaign. The version I sent you is the original generic document (I think).

Let me know what you think.

Have fun!

Hey GoldenAge, if you don't mind sending another one out, I wouldn't mind taking a look at this. I viewed the attachments from the original thread and, well, it's impressive from what little bit is there.

You can send it to sverbridge at yahoo dot com

Thanks

Hey GoldenAge, if you don't mind sending another one out, I wouldn't mind taking a look at this. I viewed the attachments from the original thread and, well, it's impressive from what little bit is there.

You can send it to sverbridge at yahoo dot com

Thanks

I sent you a copy... Hope you like it.

BTW: the mansion maps are original to the packet while the art is mostly taken from the old X-Men stuff.

I purposefully left huge holes in the floor plans (not literal holes but, rather, undedicated spaces) so the players would have plenty of room to add their own imaginative additions to the base's evolution.

There is a subterranean tunnel leading from the sub-basement to a hidden hangar located within Crown’s Towers (the mountain ridge that runs through the Eastern edge of the mansion property). Unfortunately, I’ve never taken the time to map out the hanger. It’s a simple thing, just a big space really. ;)

I searched high and low for plans of the X-Mansion. Theses are the very best that I found (most others were pretty nasty). That's why I chose to recreate the floor plans from scratch (that way I can scale them to battle-map size too).

Here ya go (plus two bonus finds) :)

Edit: Actually, I think I may have scanned those pics. :confused:

I searched high and low for plans of the X-Mansion. Theses are the very best that I found (most others were pretty nasty). That's why I chose to recreate the floor plans from scratch (that way I can scale them to battle-map size too).

Here ya go (plus two bonus finds) :)

Edit: Actually, I think I may have scanned those pics. :confused:

Thank you.

I copied them to my computer, then removed the various labels that would identify it as the X-Men mansion.

I have a base for you.... Here's the original thread:

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32904&highlight=viore

The PDF is too large for this site, but I'd be happy to e-mail it to you for your perusal. :)

Could you send a copy of that to steve@perrinworlds.com?

Thanks,

Here's a description of the estate. It was modified from one on a X-Men site. The Liandra is the team's ship. It as named for the ranger cutter in the Babylon 5 spin-off series Legend of the Rangers.

Maps? Pictures? Ship's stats? Anything?

What is the URL of that X-Men site?

:)

Maps? Pictures? Ship's stats? Anything?

What is the URL of that X-Men site?

:)

Maps and pictures can be found at the site. I'll post the URL asap.

I'm still working on the ship and may grab one from somewhere else.

Edit: Here is the URL http://xrpg.rpcommunity.com/index.html.

The stable area currently has 10 horses, including Molly's, and consists of 6 buildings.

Two are barns that hold 10 horses. The third is a barn with space for 5 horses, plus the tack room and wash rack.

Building 4 holds a garden tractor and other needed equipment for various chores. Building 5 is Molly's cabin and office. Due to the flammable nature of some equine feed, it's kept in building 6, which has a dirt floor and metal walls and ceiling.

All buildings have a first aid kit, a flashlight, and fire suppression equipment.

Thus far, the discussion has been about an estate in the suburbs as the base. Most bases, however, are in the city. Some are great houses within the city while others are the top floor(s) of buildings.

While I can simply drop the mansion into the city, I've recently given thought to basing them in a building, possibly owned by the team's sponsor.

In truth, my main problem with the Xavier estate is the size of it. While a piece of land with an area of 10 square miles will work for a boarding school, I think it's too large for a publicly-known superhero base.

In truth' date=' my main problem with the Xavier estate is the size of it. While a piece of land with an area of 10 square miles will work for a boarding school, I think it's too large for a publicly-known superhero base.[/quote']

That objection might be mollified if the base is part of a corporate campus, with several buildings and spacious grounds. Of course, this works best if the team is sponsored by said corporation. Such a campus can be on the outskirts or fairly close in, especially if the town grew around the campus.

That objection might be mollified if the base is part of a corporate campus' date=' with several buildings and spacious grounds. Of course, this works best if the team is sponsored by said corporation. Such a campus can be on the outskirts or fairly close in, especially if the town grew around the campus.[/quote']

This is a good idea!!! Firebird International can be the sponsor instead of the Firebird Foundation. The base could be on the edge of the corporate campus, possibly with the mansion and grounds having been the residence of a former CEO.

I'm thinking of having a car track (a road course used by clubs instead of an oval) in the city. It could be a former corporate automobile test facility.

I just found the perfect mansion to serve as the base within the city. It's Avengers Mansion. The third floor hanger will suit the Liandra perfectly.

Also, there seems to be only one room for live-in staff, Edwin Jarvis. I may give it to the housekeeper and have most of the other staffers live out. Those that have to live in, can share a common bunk room.