Create a NEW Zodiac

Checkmate

Re: Create a NEW Zodiac

Where's the fun in that? ... It sounds more threatening but better for a non Capes campaign; IMO.

Partially true. I didn't say there'd be NO capes/mooks/whatever involved. Again, you have to determine what the Zodiac Conspiracy is after. I would recommend that they be after mystical power as well as temporal -- because with the Mystical Power angle, there are always going to be Magic Footballs -- things that they're going to be after, which they may not be able to get in a legal manner.

This leads to 'break-in at the museum' or 'death of a collector' scenarios, or even a mid-air robbery of a cargo plane. Whodunit? Those dastardly Zodiac folk!! And while your Flying Brick is happy to pound the snot out of his superpowered foes, the Dark Detective in the group is also happily working on the fact that there's more to the plot than meets the eye. Remember -- just because it's legal doesn't mean it's right. And heroes are meant to do what's right, not necessarily what's legal.

Besides, if you also have DEMON or whomever, and you've demonstrated that overall domination by the Zodiac would be 'not as bad' as overall domination by DEMON, then you can have Zodiac approaching the heros to say, 'DEMON has this big ritual happening to siphon a large portion of the world's power to them. They need to be stopped, but neither of us are powerful enough on our own to stop them. Let's fight them together!!'

Of course, Zodiac has a nearly-identical ritual happening somewhere else, designed to siphon the power to THEM, and they don't want competition at the critical moment, so .... :)

For other Zodiac ideas, I cannot recommend The Zodiac Ring from Lame Mage Productions highly enough. This is an M&M scenario available in PDF for very little, and posits a set of Zodiac characters who are not necessarily all evil, but all are true to their zodiac mindsets. Sagitarrius, for instance, is not an archer. He's a luck-controlling con man. Taurus is not a mastermind, just a brick (with nary a horn in sight), and Leo and Aries are both fire manipulators, though very different ones. Capricorn is an earth elementalist, Aquarius a power dampener, etc.

Check it out. It has become one of the central storylines of my M&M campaign. Easily adapted to Champions.

• 2 weeks later...

For different zodiacs ...

The Japanese version - http://japanese.about.com/library/weekly/aa100498.htm - uses 12 animals.

The Mayan version - http://www.art-poster-online.com/mayan_zodiac_animals.html - uses 13 animals.

The Celtic version - http://www.novareinna.com/constellation/celtic.html - allocates a Tree, Gemstone, Flower, Celestial Body, Deity and animal to each of 12 signs.

The Galactic version - http://www.saros.zynet.co.uk/ingalast.html - is relatively new and uses symbols such as Law, Nurture & Trade.

I remember many moons ago I ran a Zodiac Conspiracy bunch of super powers BG's, and some of them were decidedly non standard interpretations.

Pisces: A mind-meld-to-machines computer hacker. The internet was her ocean and she was the big fish.

Gemini: A shape shifting power mimic who had forgotten his own identity. He becomes your twin.

Virgo: A body jacker with no physical body of her own. (It was funny when she and Gemini would tag team a hero, now suddenly the PCs are fighting two copies of the same friend)

Well, I'm working on a project for Legacies/Digital Hero that embraces that, I've shown Dave a shell, and since it's just a shell, you guys can see it too.

The Zodiac

Note: If run right, your PC's should only see this character once or twice. Taurus should APPEAR to be the real leader of the group, no one should realize it's actually a 13 sign Babylonian Zodiac until very late in the game.

Ophiuchus, The Serpent Bearer-Many Names, Strength, Wisdom, Tactics, Rulership, Mentalism, Charisma, Forbidden Knowledge, Healing…Real Leader…Gilgamesh, Son of Marduk,…

what, no Arachne, the Psychic? :D

Arachne the Spider
. This arises from the Druidic calendar containing 13 signs, where Arachne is contained between Taurus and Gemini. In this tradition the Sun enters Arachne on May 16th and leaves it on June 13th. It is said to be the sign of the “Psychic”. If you would like to know more the little book
“The Thirteenth Zodiac The Sign of Arachne”
by James Vogh

Of course, Vogh invented the whole thing and was apparently delighted when people started taking it seriously.

Must confess I liked the idea of the original Zodiac group but also felt that they fell short in many ways, both in terms of concept and abilities write-ups.

As written Taurus was my favourite for the background concept, a really clever idea that just needed a little tidying up. I thought I detected the influence of Fred Sabherhagen's 'The White Bull'. The original Gemini also had potential. Most of the others were, well, misconceived and didn't really fit the alleged astrological personalities.

I like the idea of using the rejected 13th sign - it's the John Varley fan in me. When this article appears please announce it here :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...