Animated objects

quozaxx

Let's say you want the power to animate objects or you just want normally inanimate object to attack people.

You know any object. A stuffed animal, a car, a lamp post, etc. In the realm of a game, this would probably be a plot device, without REALLY needing a "power'.

But I'm curious. How would you build this power. All of the objects would have a DEF and BODY according to what they are. Plus, unless they have legs (like in the stuffed animal example). Movement would probably be pretty limited.

(Of course, they could hop around like the Pixar's lamp. But they would have to be flexible.)

A separate character sheet for each item would be insane.

Summons seems to be the most "realistic". Possibly with Amicalble, Expanded class of beings, weak-willed, and Must inhabit local. But how powerful would you make the "beings" summoned? Would you need continuous? How many "X# of beings" would you need to animate almost anything?

Any other thoughts instead of summons?

Quozaxx

Re: Animated objects

The standard I still prefer, even though it's based on second edition, is the rules for Telekinesis as.. Animate Object, oddly enough. It was a limitation (worth -1/2, I think?) on the power.

If it's telekinesis you want. If they're self-willed, then Summon does it.

Of course, there's the Duplication/Multiform path, if you want to actually become objects, a little at a time.

TK, with the limitation "must have suitable object." The STR is determined by the TK (which might be noticed as the stuffed panda and bronze statue do the same damage when they hit), the DEF by the material the object is made from (when the object is destroyed the TK no longer has its "focus"), handwave movement and lack of joints. Remember flashing the animated object will do nothing, but flashing the mentalist will "blind" the object.

Let's say you want the power to animate objects or you just want normally inanimate object to attack people.

You know any object. A stuffed animal, a car, a lamp post, etc. In the realm of a game, this would probably be a plot device, without REALLY needing a "power'.

Quozaxx

I havea character who does something very similar to this. Goblynne Greene She "Goblinizes" ordinary objects, which brings them to life and gives them certain monstrous characteristics. Imagine, if you will, a chainsaw with glowing red eyes, wings, and an evil disposition.

It's accomplished though summoning with a limited range of effects. To avoid the problem of having a billion character sheets, I limited each summoned creature to three "characteristics." Size: Small/Medium/Large Toughness: Light/Medium/Heavy and Attack: Smash/Chop/Zap

The Flying Chainsaw is: Small, Medium, Chop

An Animated Automobile would be: Large, Heavy, Smash

A Store Mannequin would be: Medium, Light, Smash

Movement and Defenses are determined by size and weight.

All combinations add up to the right number of points for the summoning.

It was a lot of work to set up, but very easy to play (I just keep a scratch sheet for the goblins) which is the important thing.

I havea character who does something very similar to this. Goblynne Greene She "Goblinizes" ordinary objects, which brings them to life and gives them certain monstrous characteristics. Imagine, if you will, a chainsaw with glowing red eyes, wings, and an evil disposition.

It's accomplished though summoning with a limited range of effects. To avoid the problem of having a billion character sheets, I limited each summoned creature to three "characteristics." Size: Small/Medium/Large Toughness: Light/Medium/Heavy and Attack: Smash/Chop/Zap

The Flying Chainsaw is: Small, Medium, Chop

An Animated Automobile would be: Large, Heavy, Smash

A Store Mannequin would be: Medium, Light, Smash

Movement and Defenses are determined by size and weight.

All combinations add up to the right number of points for the summoning.

It was a lot of work to set up, but very easy to play (I just keep a scratch sheet for the goblins) which is the important thing.

Great character concept and the art is nice too! Any chance you could post a character write-up for her and the various "goblins"?

I had a character that animated objects as a recurring part of his magical schtick.

When talking with it, it was just post-cognitive clairsentience.

When using it for other purposes, I used a slavishly loyal summon with a VPP that can only be changed when it is summoned. It was really rather small, as I had it in a small magical VPP, but if its to be a major part of the character it could be bought straight and built on far more points.

http://arkham.genesismuds.com/hero/Champions/Animated%20Object.HTML

But I'm curious. How would you build this power. All of the objects would have a DEF and BODY according to what they are. Plus, unless they have legs (like in the stuffed animal example). Movement would probably be pretty limited.

(Of course, they could hop around like the Pixar's lamp. But they would have to be flexible.)

Summons seems to be the most "realistic". Possibly with Amicalble, Expanded class of beings, weak-willed, and Must inhabit local. But how powerful would you make the "beings" summoned? Would you need continuous? How many "X# of beings" would you need to animate almost anything?

Quozaxx

You can also go the TK route with "Physical manifestation" lim as well, add a lim to limit durability....?