Feedback on my first fighter requested...:)

Polaris

Please let me know what you think. --Polaris

Hornet

Player: Terra

Val Char Cost
55 STR 0
30 DEX 60
24 BODY 5
9 SPD 50
4" RUN-42" SWIM00" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 162

Cost Power END
30 Reinforced Structure: Armor (10 PD/10 ED), Hardened (+1/4) (37 Active Points); Real Armor (-1/4)
25 Battery: Endurance Reserve (50 END, 20 REC) (25 Active Points)
43 Phaser: Energy Blast 13d6 (vs. ED) (65 Active Points); Beam (-1/4), No Knockback (-1/4) (uses Personal END) 6
50 Tactical Sensors: Find Weakness 15- (All Attacks)
30 Shields: Force Field (15 PD/15 ED) (uses Personal END) 3
7 Norton Cyber Proetection System: +10 Mental Defense (10 points total) (10 Active Points); Coverage does not protect passengers (-1/2)
5 Tactical Squadron System: Mind Link (One Specific Mind), No LOS Needed (15 Active Points); Only With Others Who Have Mind Link (-1), Limited Class Of Minds Members of unit (-1)
Powers Cost: 190

Cost Skill
9 Acrobatics 18-
5 Breakfall 16-
15 +3 with Ranged Combat
7 Navigation (Air, Space) (9 Active Points); Only works on planet or system aircraft assigned to (-1/4) 12-
5 Teamwork (7 Active Points); Only works after has conducted training exercises with unit (-1/2) 17-
7 Tracking 11-
Skills Cost: 48

Cost Perk
12 Contact (Contact has: useful Skills or resources, Very Good relationship with Contact), Organization Contact (+2) (12 Active Points) 8-
Perks Cost: 12

Cost Talent
3 Absolute Range Sense
3 Absolute Time Sense
26 Danger Sense (Area: Immediate Vicinity, Discriminatory) 12-
5 Eidetic Memory
Talents Cost: 37

Total Character Cost: 449

Val Disadvantages
20 Craft of Terran Air Force: (Not Concealable; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

Disadvantage Points: 20

Base Points: 200

Experience Required: 229

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0

A couple of things:

First, who will be using the ship that will have a 30 DEX and 9 Speed? Since Star Hero is a Heroic Level game I seriously doubt if you will see too many people with more than a 20 DEX and 4 Speed. Even if you wanted to take an extreme approach you should not go higher than 25 DEX and 5 SPD.

Second, I would take a look at the END Reserve. With a 9 SPD you are using 27 END per turn just to turn on the Force Field. That only leaves 23 END (3.5 shots from your Phaser) before it runs dry. If you only took 2 shots that Turn the END Reserve would be empty in less than 2 turns.

Third, I have no idea how you came up with those totals for Characteristics. I am assuming this is a Size 11 vehicle, but if that is the case then I think your BODY cost is off. In any event you did not show the cost for the additional size anywhere.

It would probably be better to stick range sense, eidetic memory, and other mental stuff into a computer that comes on the ship, but I guess there's nothing wrong with just making it a system. I don't think mental defense would work for the ship, since it doesn't have any INT or EGO. You could buy power defense insted.

If you want, you can take a focus limitaton for ship systems. For example, OIF Bulky for anything that can be destroyed before the entire ship is destroyed.

Second, I would take a look at the END Reserve. With a 9 SPD you are using 27 END per turn just to turn on the Force Field. That only leaves 23 END (3.5 shots from your Phaser) before it runs dry. If you only took 2 shots that Turn the END Reserve would be empty in less than 2 turns.

Geez, I just noticed that my ship designs have the same mistake. It would be a demon for the first 2 phases, then completely run out of gas. Time to triple everything X__X

Originally posted by Monolith

A couple of things:

First, who will be using the ship that will have a 30 DEX and 9 Speed? Since Star Hero is a Heroic Level game I seriously doubt if you will see too many people with more than a 20 DEX and 4 Speed. Even if you wanted to take an extreme approach you should not go higher than 25 DEX and 5 SPD.

You have a point Monolith, however there is some reason to have a fighter with this high of a Dex and Speed.

Many of the newer fighter planes today have been accused of being able to "outfly" their pilots. This would indicate a fighter of such exceptional agility, no human pilot could ever take advantage of its full potential (likely, the G-forces would kill the pilot if he tried!) In a world-setting with technology high enough to be able to break the Light-speed barrier, I could wholeheartedly believe that a Fighter with a Dex of 30 and a Speed of 9 would exist.

Certainly, no (normal) human pilot would be able to take advantage of those inflated characteristics. However, a pilot can fly a vehicle at its maximum Speed gaining the benefit of the increase in velocity that would give the fighter, he/she would only be able to maneuver the fighter on their own phases, which means that there's a good chance of the Fighter plowing into something in the middle of a battle (but dag-nabbit, that thing would be fast)

But notice up above that I mentioned that no normal pilot could take advantage of a vehicle with a 30 Dex...and well, this is Star Hero, so how many PC's in this genre are exactly "normal"? (not counting Hard Scifi!) Most likely, a PC dedicated to being a hot shot Fighter pilot would have the ability to directly link to his Figther neurologically. And utilizing this as a SFX, I wouldn't have much of a problem with allowing one to have something like this:

+10 DEX(30) No Figured Characteristics(-1/2) Cost Endurance(-1/2) Only for piloting a neurolinked vehicle(-1/2) 13pts 3 End/phase

Note: The Cost Endurance limitation helps keep use of this under control, as they cannot keep it up forever.

The same can be done for increased Speed as well...

This is Star Hero after all. Cybernetic enhancement is likely to be quite common. In fact, all military fighter pilots are likely to have such enhancements if they are common and inexpensive enough!

+10 DEX(30) No Figured Characteristics(-1/2) Cost Endurance(-1/2) Only for piloting a neurolinked vehicle(-1/2) 13pts 3 End/phase

Note: The Cost Endurance limitation helps keep use of this under control, as they cannot keep it up forever.

This is Star Hero after all. Cybernetic enhancement is likely to be quite common. In fact, all military fighter pilots are likely to have such enhancements if they are common and inexpensive enough! [/b]

Thanks!! I'm totally gonna use that! :)

The attack seems to be out of line with the defenses. It has a 13d6 EB which will average 13 Body per attack. However it has 25 Def (10 Armor and 15 FF). In a suprise attack by one of these fighters against another, it would only do 3 body. IF both fighters are prepared the defenses would go up and they would be completely immune to one another. I would recommend upping the attack (and probably changing it to a RKA), making the FF ablative, or both.

Looking at it again I see you have a Find Weakness, which does resolve this quite a bit. However that leaves a dog fight between two of these fighters quite dependant on luck. If one pilot makes the find weakness a couple of times and the other doesn't, you have a situation where one character can destroy the other in a half dozen shots while the other is completely helpless.

You seem to have also left of any form of Megascale which means their phasers are only good out to a distance of a few dozen meters as are the tactical sensors. A F-16 could engage and destroy this fighter before it even knew the F-16 was there (within an atmosphere of course :) ). I would really recomend some Megascale on the movement, attacks and sensors.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! I was going to just keep asking a string of questions, but thought if I just made one and got feedback it would answer a lot of my questions (it did, and some I wouldn't have thought to ask).

Thanks!

Polaris

PS: "Back to the drawing board" as they say...:):)

This is Star Hero after all. Cybernetic enhancement is likely to be quite common. In fact, all military fighter pilots are likely to have such enhancements if they are common and inexpensive enough!

I just made a character with this power except it was +25 Dex and on a 20 minute continuing fuel charge.