Tell us about your Pulp game!

Talon65

Re: Tell us about your Pulp game!

"What?"

explain The Monster, please. Bob Newhart MA?

Lord Ghee

It was actually at the end of "The Librarian" - the Newhart character, the head librarian, turns out to have been a former Marine, and proceeds to take on a squad of bad guys in the finale. Of course, being old and never exactly a specimen of physical perfection, the moves aren't fast or precise, but the thugs fly around anyway. To watch it is IMO a wonderful joke on the whole cinematic martial art/tough guy motif.

My Pulp game is set in 1923. During the Great War the US government learned that there was a natural portal to another world where mankind never developed. After failing to join the League of Nations, guardians of the European portal, they searched America for their own portal. Findin one near Carson City, Nevada, they proceeded to plunder the gold and silver from other side Nevada and California. When a highly advanced (DC-3 analog) plane, all of whose controls were labeled in Latin, was found in northern California the government realized that there were many worlds out there.

The players go through these natural gates to see what they can find. So far they've been to Zombie-World, Roman-World, fought Zapatistas in the 'real' world, gone to post catastrophic global warming 160 degree world, Confederate World (CSA and USA), and Aztec Pole Shift world. They've just escaped into a "Oh God the earth is in small pieces and there is a miles long monster eating the pieces!" world. I hope they won't try to fight the 3 mile long Dhole, it would take a 100 Megaton bomb to kill it.

Yeah, note that the character is called 'Paper'.

Hey, but she is not the ONLY martial artist in the group. My character (the Aussie sea captain) is a two-fisted fighter known to use capstan bars and/or heavy furniture as melee weapons when things get tough. Gotta qualify as a martial art, surely - just not one that "nice" people send their kids someplace to formally learn.

All things considered, Paper is more of the team ninja - major skills in stealth, break-and-enter, etc.. A fondness for throwing knives (and LOTS of them). A certain ... aptitude for assassination-style attacks on the enemy. And so on. Not a lady to cross. Certainly not one to brag to about book-burning either - memories of several party-members once crash-tackling Paper because of a very obviously imminent ... violent outburst, shal we say. She had just seen an NPC mutilating books and was ready to do him some serioous harm.

Yeah there are a few "two fisted sluggers" in the group. I think that the private detective "Mac" has a pretty good right cross as well ! Actually I think that the rules describe what most of the party does as either "Cinematic Brawling" or (as in the case of Alberto, the ex criminal) "Dirty Infighting", very useful skills for a Pulp hero !

My Pulp game is set in 1923. During the Great War the US government learned that there was a natural portal to another world where mankind never developed. After failing to join the League of Nations, guardians of the European portal, they searched America for their own portal. Findin one near Carson City, Nevada, they proceeded to plunder the gold and silver from other side Nevada and California. When a highly advanced (DC-3 analog) plane, all of whose controls were labeled in Latin, was found in northern California the government realized that there were many worlds out there.

The players go through these natural gates to see what they can find. So far they've been to Zombie-World, Roman-World, fought Zapatistas in the 'real' world, gone to post catastrophic global warming 160 degree world, Confederate World (CSA and USA), and Aztec Pole Shift world. They've just escaped into a "Oh God the earth is in small pieces and there is a miles long monster eating the pieces!" world. I hope they won't try to fight the 3 mile long Dhole, it would take a 100 Megaton bomb to kill it.

Pulp "Sliders"; I love it !:thumbup:

Pulp "Sliders"; I love it !:thumbup:

Thanks. In Sundays session they finally found their way back to the 'real' world, but they came out through the European gate, located in that famous salt mine in Poland, south of Kracow. After sneaking past the guard, walking to town, and taking the bus to the bigger town with a working telegraph office they finally contacted home. The agency wanted them to get them back to Nevada for a debriefing so, via Western Union, they received bus tickets to Berlin, to catch the train for Normandy. Their fake (but issued by the US government) papers get them out of Poland and into Germany easily. I gloss over their guides, Ambrose Bierce (rescued from Aztec Pole shift world) lack of papers. So they're travelling through Germany in late 1923....

I think for a moment and tell them. "The bus pulls into the bus station for gas and food. As you get off the bus you notice a bunch (80 or 90) of papramilitary men with signs and clubs. They're wearing some sort of Hindu symbol on their arms....

Most of the PC's don't speak much German. The one who speaks it fluently (Dad was in the state department and he grew up in the prewar Austro Hungarian empire) speaks it with an Austrian accent. So he tries to ask the Brownshirt what's up, and the Nazi tries to hit him with a club saying "Austrian scum!". Then a PC draws his gun. Then another Nazi swings at him anyway, then PC's guns draw start going off. Then the Nazis start fighting back, and it looks as if our five stalwart heroes may be overwhelmed. Then they start using their grenades. In public, they're throwing grenades into a crowd that includes civilians who were just getting off the bus!

End result 25-30 Nazis run off, 25-30 Nazis dead, 25-30 Nazis wounded to unconsciousness or worse, and only one civilian, a small boy, killed by the grenades. They 'borrow' a BMW and make it to Berlin to catch their train. The headline story in the Berlin paper reads "NSDAP coup fails. Communist counterdemonstrators massacre dozens!", as I cut them a break.

Nazi's, they hate those guys. Then I invoke the famous red line across the map and they reach Le Havre. I don't want to spend too much time in the 'real' world but I'm thinking of setting next weeks session in London. I just need to figure out what the hook will be. I've already given them tickets to the Chanel ferry with instruction to catch a liner for New York out of Southhampton, so maybe I'll shake things up a bit.

Nazi's' date=' they hate those guys. Then I invoke the famous red line across the map and they reach Le Havre. I don't want to spend too much time in the 'real' world but I'm thinking of setting next weeks session in London. I just need to figure out what the hook will be. I've already given them tickets to the Chanel ferry with instruction to catch a liner for New York out of Southhampton, so maybe I'll shake things up a bit.[/quote']

Well obviously it's not the 'real' world. Even though it's not the newest liner anymore, its spotless safety record for the past decade should make their trip across the Atlantic on the Titanic safe and uneventful...

Well obviously it's not the 'real' world. Even though it's not the newest liner anymore' date=' its spotless safety record for the past decade should make their trip across the Atlantic on the [i']Titanic[/i] safe and uneventful...

Yeah, the Titanic was actually my first thought. The problem with that is that they've already been in touch with base, so if this isn't their world that means that there is another close parallel with interdimensional travel who has all the same people on a team. I don't think I want to go there, especially since their probable response would be to find and kill their duplicates, and anyone else who got in the way, on the grounds that they were a threat to the 'real' world. One of the players suggested that they travel on the Olympic, the Titanics sister ship. I suppose I could find a map of the Olympic if I wanted to have a shipboard adventure, but I think I just may get them to New York City and spring an adventure on them there.

In a previous adventure the teams medical doctor, an italian immigrant who grew up in NYC discovered that one of the Roman legionaries (with SMG's) they ran into was actually his cousin, or rather his cousins duplicate. When they got home to be debriefed on this adventure I established that the cousin in question was actually a Mafia 'soldier' on this side. I may try to do something related to the Doctors family, the mob, and Prohibition.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, we had an interesting game in my Adventure Pulp pitting us against those pesky Japanese. The Japanese hired infiltrators on the crew who created some engine difficulty during a storm to get us to abandon ship. They wanted the cargo of aircraft engines secretly bound for China. The look on the GM's face was priceless when one of the infiltrators refused to tell me what they had done to the ship's engines and I promptly kicked him over board in the middle of the storm. The rest got real helpful then...

We also had a new member added, a National Geographic photog that can turn himself invisible due to some wierd science accident and has a Mongolian sidekick/bodyguard named "Giggles".:nonp:

And it looks like we may be getting another player who wants to play the airplane pilot/two-fisted hero. Yea! I may re-edit my original post when I get the new character's names and write ups.

The look on the GM's face was priceless when one of the infiltrators refused to tell me what they had done to the ship's engines and I promptly kicked him over board in the middle of the storm. The rest got real helpful then...

Clearly, your GM has never watched 'Firefly''.

Or, maybe, he just has (or had?) a trusting faith in the basic niceness of Player-Characters.

Clearly, your GM has never watched 'Firefly''.

Or, maybe, he just has (or had?) a trusting faith in the basic niceness of Player-Characters.

Nah! He's played with us for years and knows how we are. And he's read the pulps. Many of the crime fighting and noir heroes were killing bastards when they wanted to be. Just check out the Spider. His Shadow character in our crime fighting pulp game has had no qualms about surprising and gunning down a bad guy.

He told us latter that in the first case, he had just forgot that I had that kinda money and hadn't anticipated a counter offer to his mercenaries and had to scramble for an excuse that let them refuse such an offer to keep the plot on track. Which was for them to double cross us which we all knew was comming but went along with anyways, 'cause this is the pulps.

In the second, he didn't know what to expect. He figured we would either abandoned ship or just start shooting pirates. He knows how we feel about outlaws and pirates. In another surprise, I let the one pirate go with a life boat for helping us and actually, that pirate that got kicked overboard probably got off better then the rest. For being an "example", he at least got a chance to survive tho' a small one. All the rest were turned over to the British authorities where they will most likely get hung or shot for piracy.

And since this is the pulps. It gives the GM a perfect opportunity to have that bad guy survive and show up again. :P

Ah' date=' Nazis. Slowly replacing the Orc as the most hated/killed NPC in gaming today. :D[/quote']

If you modernize the setting a bit, you can also have Space Nazis. Of course, that's a bit dated now. Like I tell my players, "Space Nazis are passe. We're fighting the Space Taliban now." :yes:

What?

If you modernize the setting a bit, you can also have Space Nazis. Of course, that's a bit dated now. Like I tell my players, "Space Nazis are passe. We're fighting the Space Taliban now." :yes:

And there's always the Inquisition, which seems to show up in every single RPG ever published, regardless of era or genre. :idjit:

• 4 weeks later...

We had another session of our adventure pulp last night and a grand time was had by all. Well, maybe not the poor Ninja or Sky Pirates....

While in Hong Kong, waiting for our plane to be repaired, we started looking into some very busy aircraft part black marketeers and found that some secret Japanese gov't agency and some mysterious Europeans were looking as well. It's the begining of Chinese New Year (and no one will be around but there will be lots of noise from the fireworks) so we decide to break in to the smuggler's warehouse and take a look around. Well, so did the Japanese and the mysterious Europeans (which we thought were Nazis but turned out to be Sky Pirates) and all hell broke loose ending with an uneasy truce with the Japanese Samurai and his Ninja and the warehouse being burned to the ground from the exploding aircraft fuel. Which was not our fault by the way.

Really, it wasn't our fault...:nonp:

The poor GM and his bad guys. We were a little worried at first 'cause all the Ninja had pretty good DCVs with their Martial Dodge and the players know that they always show up in gaggles but the players were rolling hot! Out of ten atttacks the heroes made, three missed, a shot gun blast hit a ninja in the arm and one in the chest but the other six attacks all hit the baddies in either the head or the vitals! One of the heroes has Two Weapon Fighting with his Colt 1911s and hit one of the sky pirates. In the head. With BOTH shots! :eek:The sky pirates then blew up the fuel and made a hasty retreat. Leaving us with the Tong's books and papers to turn over to the British authorities and us scratching our heads over the Japanese.

I've also edited my OP with new character info.