T5th give me a break

tytalan

Re: T5th give me a break

Being a Old Traveller player myself playing since it first came out (30 yrs now) I have

read their stuff and it isn't all that bad at all really. It is much more on track to the

OT system than T20 Traveller was and Mongoose Traveller has a certain feel and flavor

that many core Traveller players like and are willing to migrate to.

Now I just love ComStars new era 1248 setting and am going to use that, but they

also came up with Traveller Hero as well. I should also point out that they have also

working on another setting and system called Far Avolon whish shows alot of promise,

as well as so does Mongoose Traveller too. I like Hero System very much, but neither

of those systems use it. Most likely I will design my campaign (now 25+ yrs running

set in the Verge subsector) to TH, but I will still obtain the other systems and books

as reference material as well too.

Penn

Actually looks pretty good to me. I don't like the way that the owner of Traveller treated those who had previous permission to put out product, but the Mongoose system actually looks pretty good -- The two-die rolls (Timing and Effect) is actually rather nice, as is the Augments and such.

My biggest problem with the original system has long since been the fact that characters can be very lopsided, one individual might have a ton of skills and another might have little if nothing useful. The use of their Skill Packages system and the optional Point Allocation rules look like good ways to remedy that sort of thing.

It was supposed to be Open Source, that still the case?

... what was this actually about? I have no idea' date=' other than the poorly written and vaguely inflammatory nature of the OP what we're talking about.[/quote']

Mongoose is publishing the long-rumored 5th Edition of Traveller, using their own rules set.

The original announcement of it was itself rather inflammatory, ignoring the publication of T20 and Traveller Hero, making it sound as if Mongoose was rescuing Traveller from the dust-bin of history (which may in fact turn out to be the case).

Without knowing ALL the details, what I have heard is that the owner of Traveller did not notify other license-holders before granting this (seemingly-exclusive) license to Mongoose, so there's a good bit of hard feelings going around.

Mongoose is publishing the long-rumored 5th Edition of Traveller, using their own rules set.

The original announcement of it was itself rather inflammatory, ignoring the publication of T20 and Traveller Hero, making it sound as if Mongoose was rescuing Traveller from the dust-bin of history (which may in fact turn out to be the case).

Without knowing ALL the details, what I have heard is that the owner of Traveller did not notify other license-holders before granting this (seemingly-exclusive) license to Mongoose, so there's a good bit of hard feelings going around.

And then OP then is thusly maintaining that the HERO version is superior to the home-brewed rules of the Mongoose edition? That makes much more sense then.

to roughly quote Ken Burnside of Ad Astra games' date=' who talked to Marc Miller shortly after that PR came out, the press release was a bit over the top, I think it was downright arrogant and insulting. I e-mailed mongoose about the press release and got ignored.[/quote']

Ah, I see. So I can safely file the whole thing under "fu--ing classy." Nice.

Hey I don't like the way this all went down, and I own the (4) products (2 TH, 2 New

1248 era) from Comstar , but I like all Traveller items and look at it all as resource

material for my own campaign. I don't care whom puts it out as long as it still keeps

rolling on with more stuff. I seem to collect it all, kinda like I need to have all Hero's

stuff now too!

Penn