Help needed!

Diamond Spear

For anyone familiar with David Drake's Hammers Slammers series how would you rate the damage for the tanks main gun? I have the pistols/submachine guns rated at 2d6 RKA and the Rifles/tribarrels rated at 4d6 RKA. Scaling up the main gun on the tanks works out to a 20d6 RKA! :ugly: Should I leave them there or back it off a bit?

Thanks for any help.

Re: Help needed!

Scaling up the main gun on the tanks works out to a 20d6 RKA! :ugly: Should I leave them there or back it off a bit?

Thanks for any help.

Well, I don't know the series, but a 20d6 RKA is more in the range of a nuclear weapon... Unless it is a tactical nuke shell your tank is firing, I'd suggest to effectively back it up a bit...;)

For anyone familiar with David Drake's Hammers Slammers series how would you rate the damage for the tanks main gun? I have the pistols/submachine guns rated at 2d6 RKA and the Rifles/tribarrels rated at 4d6 RKA. Scaling up the main gun on the tanks works out to a 20d6 RKA! :ugly: Should I leave them there or back it off a bit?

Thanks for any help.

Tanks should come with two kinds of ammo-loads, HE and AP. HE's for infantry and AP's for other tanks. I'd reduce the damage and add the Advantages.

Well the tanks in Hammers Slammers do not fire shells. They are powerguns up to 25cm. A rubberscience energy plasma. Since the same tech is used for starship weaponry, larger sizes, there is no reason they can't be in the high d6 ranges. IAW the material all the energy of the "round" is released when it impacts the first object. Even leaves can provide some initial protection, though the secondary explosion may kill you. A 20-25cm tank round will level a building and gut a "armored vehicle" that doesn't use iridium in its armor.

IIRC the exact damage from a round was driven by the plot. But in the end a powergun damage will be much more than the damage dealt by a "shell".

A powergun hit would be an explosion that releases a lot of heat and the flash from the larger guns can blind you. Since the only material strong enough to withstand a hit is iridium , but even that can be penetrated. So maybe make the round AP versus anything that isn't iridium based?

Whichever things we're talking about.

Doi. ;)

Well if its Hammer Slammers type then we are talking extremely heavy ground effect tanks that use Iridium armor. In one of the books, I can't remember which, a light unit of powergun armor. Say the equivalent of shermans and halftracks. In the story they take on a couple battalions of heavy conventional armor the equivalent of more futuristic M1 Abrams MBT's. And kick them into scrap metal. They take casualties, but the gist of the story is if they would have had a company of Hammer's heavies armed withe powerguns they would have smoked them.

From what I remember, a 25cm powergun would completely destroy a Abrams from a distance through the front plate with no problem. And if their were two M1's side by side and they had a shot they could easily get a two'fer.

According to my TUV an Abrams has a def of 20 with +10 Hardened on the front.

So for a single shot to punch through: 30(10 hardened)Def then 25 Bdy then exit through 20 more def. That will give the minimum damage potential for a 25cm Powergun.

I haven't read the source material' date=' but this is the whole defense/offense question. How much DEF is on these things, and so on.[/quote']

You can find the source material at the Baen Free Library here: http://www.webscription.net/10.1125/Baen/0671877941/0671877941.htm

The link I gave is for the first compilation of short stories about Hammers Slammers. It is the re-issue and includes a novel that was published seperately called "Rolling Hot". Thought I'd provide it in case you wanted to read the source material.

You could always just drive your lazy can down to my house. SLACKER. And I gave you my number for a reason; I don't remember if you PM'd me Saturday or Sunday, but Saturday I was playing Rogue Galaxy and Sunday was shopping with Chris & Football (not that any of the games I watched were compelling; I loathe my Eagles right now, even WITH the win I can't really say "I'm excited.")

You could always just drive your lazy can down to my house. SLACKER. And I gave you my number for a reason; I don't remember if you PM'd me Saturday or Sunday' date=' but Saturday I was playing [i']Rogue Galaxy[/i] and Sunday was shopping with Chris & Football (not that any of the games I watched were compelling; I loathe my Eagles right now, even WITH the win I can't really say "I'm excited.")

I did get your number, however, Saturday I was finishing up shopping for my wife and Sunday we were at my sister-in-laws for dinner. So there. :D Of course once I do managed to drive myself to the great state of Virginia I could just bring all the books for you to read. Would that make up for my slacking? As for your Eagles, do you know how conflicted I was watching that game???? As a Redskins fan I couldn't root for either team. I was hoping for a 0-0 tie. :D

I did get your number' date=' however, Saturday I was finishing up shopping for my wife and Sunday we were at my sister-in-laws for dinner. So there. :D Of course once I do managed to drive myself to the great state of Virginia I could just bring all the books for you to read. Would [i']that[/i] make up for my slacking? As for your Eagles, do you know how conflicted I was watching that game???? As a Redskins fan I couldn't root for either team. I was hoping for a 0-0 tie. :D

No no, I totally get that. The same sensation I had watching the Giants/Skins game last night (before I decided it was the cause of my discontent and turned it off in disgust). I was trying to figure out how to root for the Giants (who already had their slot) and... it wasn't working. I wound up rooting against everyone and hoping for injuries.

No no' date=' I totally get that. The same sensation I had watching the Giants/Skins game last night (before I decided it was the cause of my discontent and turned it off in disgust). I was trying to figure out how to root for the Giants (who already had their slot) and... it wasn't working. I wound up rooting against everyone and hoping for injuries.[/quote']

So that's what happened to Shockey!

So are you going to quit being a slacker' date=' go to the website, read the book and answer the question from my origional post? :D[/quote']

Oh yeah, seeing as I'm at work I'll definitely make that a productive element of my day.

"Thia, what are you doing?"

"Reading Hammer's Slammers. Why, what are you doing?"

"How does this have to do with compliance?"

"I'm doing research on how to best model the weapons to annihilate the loan officers that tick me off."

"Very well. As you were."

Oh yeah, seeing as I'm at work I'll definitely make that a productive element of my day.

"Thia, what are you doing?"

"Reading Hammer's Slammers. Why, what are you doing?"

"How does this have to do with compliance?"

"I'm doing research on how to best model the weapons to annihilate the loan officers that tick me off."

"Very well. As you were."

C’mon now. How busy can a mortgage broker possibly be in today’s housing market? :D