No combat respect

dustytomes

Re: No combat respect

I think everyone's hit it on the head already.

What I'd do:

Beg the GM to trade in the 3 overalls for 3 ranged, you could even go 5 EC if your GM was feeling merciful.

Drop the Martial Arts.

Link a boost to CON with no figured stats to the FF. That way you get a themed boost to CON that'll keep him from getting stunned and having his FF drop.

Buy up the STR and CON to 20 each.

If you've got the points, lower the END cost of all those powers and make the FF persistant.

First, I would talk to the GM before any of the suggestions are made. Is the GM's campaign one where you are going to be slugging it out with other villains (meaning you're going to get hit) or does the GM allow you to use tactical advantages such as hiding partly behind a wall while you shoot or using cover?

If the GM intends that you're going to be taking some hits, I'd advise adjusting your character for the campaign accordingly by some of the suggestions already made, i.e. increase CON and/or STUN some, etc etc.

If the GM will allow the character to use cover, then you're fine on your stats but be aware that sooner or later, your character will get hit and should be able to take the campaign average attack damage (if there is such a thing).

As mentioned by others, increasing your CON a little will also increase your STUN. Increasing your STUN will also help. If you don't like those, increasing your DEX is always good or your SPD to 5 (which I think is 4 right now). If you want to keep your Overall Levels, throw them into DCV while attacking or delay your attacks until an advantage can be taken. (ex. Mr Macho is punched into a wall by a teammate. While he's getting up, you see a perfect shot waiting for you.) If you don't mind changing your Overall Levels, alot can be done with 30 points in regards to Levels. Combat Luck isn't a bad idea either and can represent the moving-around-in-combat defense and although it effectively raises your PD and ED, don't forget Combat Luck isn't actual toughness but represents the 'you just got missed or glanced' effect.

Most importantly is talking to the GM regarding your character concept as well as what the GM expects in combat. Asking for other player's input regarding your character can be very valuable: I occasionally look at other player's sheets and throw out suggestions for improving their characters or giving them ideas for new powers.

Here's my claim: there's no way to use a character's will offensively that isn't some sort of power. All other rolls are to resist an influence on a character's actions, which by definition is defensive. I'm also comparing the cost to INT, which for 1 point per level gives you PER and INT-based skill rolls. In comparing it to that, "DECV + willpower checks" sounds comparable.

EDIT - besides, cheesy would be buying EGO down to 0, and then buying "Defensive EGO" back up to 10, for a savings of 10 points. :)

If you have no Offensive Mental Powers then a Limitation that doesn't raise your EOCV isn't Limiting you.

-0. No Points For You.

From the looks of Blackjack, you are playing in an Agents with Powers-type game. Easily acquirable equipment is point free and you run into a lot of mooks. I say your stats and the Martial Arts are fine, even optimal for that kind of game but, for the Champions Universe-type game, Blackjack is a fragile cannon.

I still think two Turns ain't a bad "life expectancy" in HERO. Don't know many combats that run that long.

If you have no Offensive Mental Powers then a Limitation that doesn't raise your EOCV isn't Limiting you.

-0. No Points For You.

If that were true, then one could purchase a trivial 1-point EGO-based power and invalidate the "there is no penalty" aspect of the argument. (Yes, I acknowledge that doing so would also be lame.) However, buying a 1 point power so you can spend 5 points on increasing your EGO more appropriately is inelegant and counterintuitive; that in order to purchase only part of something, you have to create a situation in which having the whole would be more beneficial.

EDIT - that being said, I agree that you raise an interesting point. So, I've asked Steve about it, here.

You know, this actually happens with my character Hermes alot. Doesn't matter what I've purchased lately, he almost always gets nearly KOed or maimed or killed every significant fight. Admittedly, he is the lowest durability member of the party, and the fastest. . . but I think those two combine to result in enemies focusing their attacks a lot.

Anyway, most of the advice has already been said.

I disagree with the advice to drop the overall levels. That depends *heavily* on how much rolling you do for stuff outside of combat. Overall levels can be and often are one of the best investments around. That said, you might not need 3 of them if you can get away with fewer.

I agree with the advice to drop or at least change the martial arts so that they will be more useful. For instance a ranged martial arts package would be a lot better. If you have martial arts, you certainly should include at least one defensive maneuver, such as a dodge.

Buying up CON would definitely be a good idea. Otherwise you are extremely vulnerable to any NND, EGO attack, or Stun Drain tossed your way.