A Psionic Blade?

Psylint

I'm stumbling over building a psionic blade attack. The idea is that the character views the world in a Jungian metaphysics, that is to say that he not only sees the present, but he sees the past "pushing" the present from behind and the various futures "pulling" the present from ahead. The future "pulls" via vibrant silver cords, invisible to anyone who doesn't have this kind of psychic dimensional perception. The attack cuts these silver cords, untethering the target in the present. So while the blade itself is a psionic manifestation, the attack is driven by muscle and bone.

Aspects of the power:

1. Hand to Hand attack with an OCV/DCV roll.

2. Can be blocked

3. Mental Defense applies

4. Works against Desolid.

I just got a little turned around. At first glance it looks like Hand to Hand Attack, BOECV, requires "attack roll" but that's a whole lot less expensive than Hand to Hand Attack, AVLD, affects Desolid. So what do you guys think?

Peace

Re: A Psionic Blade?

I'm stumbling over building a psionic blade attack. The idea is that the character views the world in a Jungian metaphysics, that is to say that he not only sees the present, but he sees the past "pushing" the present from behind and the various futures "pulling" the present from ahead. The future "pulls" via vibrant silver cords, invisible to anyone who doesn't have this kind of psychic dimensional perception. The attack cuts these silver cords, untethering the target in the present. So while the blade itself is a psionic manifestation, the attack is driven by muscle and bone.

Aspects of the power:

1. Hand to Hand attack with an OCV/DCV roll.

2. Can be blocked

3. Mental Defense applies

4. Works against Desolid.

I just got a little turned around. At first glance it looks like Hand to Hand Attack, BOECV, requires "attack roll" but that's a whole lot less expensive than Hand to Hand Attack, AVLD, affects Desolid. So what do you guys think?

Peace

I would say the AVLD, Affects desolid, personaly I would allow the AVLD to be a +3/4 version, but then MD is a figured in my games

Its math makes my head hurt. Why not make it a flat Ego Attack HA, with the special effect that it's 'driven' (in a Jungian sense) by bone-muscle concepts, and thus takes the mandatory no range limitation.

GM's might allow other attacks than EB to be HA'd.

I could see Ego attack, No Range, Physical manifestaion (and so can be blocked etc...) what else is needed?..I'd call uses CV not ECV a no cost mod...heck it might even be a disAdd....Most Desolid is affected by Ego anyway, so that part is good as is...

What, do you mean like this?

80 Psiblade v.1.0.0: Hand-To-Hand Attack +8d6, Affects Desolidified Any form of Desolidification (+1/2), Attack Versus Limited Defense (Mental Defense; +1 1/2) (120 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2)

or more like this?

62 Psiblade v.2.0.0: Ego Attack 4d6 (Human and Additional Class of Minds (Animal) classes of minds), Affects Desolidified Any form of Desolidification (+1/2), Does BODY (+1) (125 Active Points); No Range (-1/2), Does Not Provide Mental Awareness (-1/4), Real Weapon (Weapon has a Physical Manifestation and can be Blocked normally; -1/4)

What, do you mean like this?

80 Psiblade v.1.0.0: Hand-To-Hand Attack +8d6, Affects Desolidified Any form of Desolidification (+1/2), Attack Versus Limited Defense (Mental Defense; +1 1/2) (120 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2)

or more like this?

62 Psiblade v.2.0.0: Ego Attack 4d6 (Human and Additional Class of Minds (Animal) classes of minds), Affects Desolidified Any form of Desolidification (+1/2), Does BODY (+1) (125 Active Points); No Range (-1/2), Does Not Provide Mental Awareness (-1/4), Real Weapon (Weapon has a Physical Manifestation and can be Blocked normally; -1/4)

How come the second one does BODY and yet the first one doesn't? (He types assuming that Thia has remembered that AVLD is stun only without the advantage.)

Question - what's the justification for this power to do damage? It sounds like it would prevent someone's fate/destiny from manifesting. However, dying is pretty much the definition of one's fate. Thus, while it's a cool power, it doesn't sound like it would actually do what the game mechanics are saying it does.

EDIT - I suppose it begs the question of "well, what does having a fate/destiny/future grant a character?" - the power of the blade would be to dispell/cancel/damage that. Thus, I'd say this ends up being a Surpress (Any Fate/Destiny power).

EDIT II - unless you are defining your metaphysics as "anyone without a destiny automatically dies." But in that case, how does one 'heal' one's future, thus regaining BODY?