A Simple rule about 5th edition material in long running campaigns

JmOz

Re: A Simple rule about 5th edition material in long running campaigns

True enough. But then, RAW as it applies to HERO still leaves a lot of flexibility because of the constant reminder that the "rules" can be broken with the GM's permission. Project A-Ko even devoted an entire page to this single sentence.

If a rule annoys you, ignore it!

As an example, even though senses aren't supposed to be purchased in a multipower, I've yet to find the GM who has a problem with this construct.

7 Vision Modes: Multipower, 10-point reserve, (10 Active Points); all slots OIF (Armor; -1/2)

1u 1) Thermal Vision With Heat-Trace Tracking: Infrared Perception (Sight Group), Tracking (10 Active Points); OIF (Armor; -1/2)

1u 2) Polaron Vision: N-Ray Perception (Not Through ED Force Fields/Forcewalls and similar) (Sight Group) (10 Active Points); OIF (Armor; -1/2), Monochromatic Vision (-1/4)

1u 3) UV Vision: Ultraviolet Perception (Sight Group) (5 Active Points); OIF (Armor; -1/2)

I like RAW. That doesn't mean that House Rules are bad though.

When I post, I try to make it clear when I am discussing a house rule version of something VS a RAW version of something.

Mind you, the Hero games I play in stick very close to RAW. Most of the house rules are things like "you must buy at least 1 die of a KA", or "You cannot put advantages on perks" and not actual changes to the system.

The difference between here and the D&D boards that I've seen is that most people here will preface something with "In my game we..." or "My house rule is..." on those boards people post things that are house rules (IE: skill checks always fail on a roll of a 1) as if they are RAW.

A large number of the people over there don't seem to have ever read the book, and when the ask a rules question it turns into an argument (and lots of page quoting) when they (or another poster) finds out that the rule their GM uses is not in the book.

Remember in Hero there may be 30+ different ways to achieve the same effect, and all work RAW. In D&D there is only one way to build something RAW and 30+ interpretations on how it "should" work.

Yep,

For me my biggest problem is I will get used to something in my game and forget it isn't actually a "rule".

Then I get to say something here and look like an idiot :D

I'm often finding bits & pieces from previous versions of the game that I consider to still be useful. (That's easy to do, if you're like me in that your Hero System collection is nearing the point of gravitational collapse...)

When all is said and done, the flexability of the Hero rules, and the way people on these boards handle themselves talking about builds are two of the main reasons I post here.

There was a point in time that I posted regularly on the D&D boards. And I remember getting into a debate (as usual) over rules. The one I remember is the "Slashing Blades" class feature from the Dervish prestige class. The ability reads:

"A Dervish treats a scimitar as a light weapon (rather than a one handed weapon) for all purposes, including fighting with two weapons."

And the feat Power Attack reads:

"... You can't add the bonus damage from Power Attack to the damage dealt with a light weapon, even thought the penalty on the attack rolls still applies"

Well I interpret this as meaning that a character who becomes a Dervish looses the ability to use the Power Attack feat with scimitars. Other people (basically because it means that they waisted one of their few feat selections) tried to give reasons who I was wrong. The thread (as usual) turned into a screaming flame war between myself (and the people who agreed with me) and those people who didn't agree.

And this happened mainly because (it seems) that the people who post on the D&D boards generally want to run the game RAW, and know that changing a rule can cause a cascade effect that ruins the game. Needless to say I don't really go to those boards anymore because all rule discussions seem to lead to screaming flame wars.

On the other hand I posted a build question here (one of the first posts I ever made) about how to build a six-shooter that could fire different kinds of bullets while using the rapid shot maneuver.

I got TONS of good input and people trying to be helpful. Yes occasionally I had to post something along the lines of: "I'm sorry but you are misinterpreting what I want the power to do. Please let me try to clarify.", but that happens.

Some people posted RAW builds and others posted suggestions for house rules to allow what I wanted for the character. Even other people posted house rule builds for the power, and it was always clear which suggestion was which.

The point is the thread didn't ever really derail, and while I ended up scraping the idea and going in a different direction with the character, it never felt like a screaming match.

That's because in HERO we're all right. Even when we're wrong.

You're right that we're right except you're wrong that we're right when we're wrong so that makes you right that you're wrong, right? :D