3 spell potions arent working...

runescience

I need some help with 3 potions:

Im trying to duplicate a Fantasy Trip (TFT) potion called Berserker, which comes from the berserker mushroom. This gives the drinker +1 combat, and allows the drinker to take no penalties from combat (stun for instance), for 12 hours. If the hp of the character reaches zero before the end of 12 hours, he dies.

I tried doing this with the 60 point automaton ability takes no stun, and combining it with +1 HTH melee 5 point level. But it doesn't look right. Suggestion?

-- -- -- -- -- -- --

The other potion is called Pyrotic Ability which lets you start 1 hex fires that persist for 12 turns each. After taking the potion you can start making fires for 12 hours, we can call it 6 hours for the sake of continuing charges. EB lets me start fires. It costs the user STR points in TFT, Endurance to start each fire. So I did Ranged, area effect, persistant, but some how I got sucked into doing a damage shield using HD. I don't remember why... I think its because once the continuing charges are set they take no extra end.

------

the last one is magic fist which does d6-2 damage for 1 STR point, or 'X' end points. You can do stack the spell buy pumping more END into it. How do I do this?

Re: 3 spell potions arent working...

I'd suggest describing these potion effects without gaming turns the first time. Then figure out in HERO how best to model them. Trying to model another game systems mechanics in HERO is always way harder than just figuring out what the special effects of the power are, and then building it.

For example.

Berserker potion. What does it really do? To me, it apprears that it makes the drinker better at combat, and more difficult to damage in combat. How would you model that in HERO?

I think I'd go with 50% damage reduction, and +2 H-to-H levels. But that's because I'm not comfortable with the character taking "no stun." It just doesn't make sense to me. There are a dozen other ways to model this, you just need to find out which one works for you.

The same is true for the others. Answer what the power does in layman's terms, and the rest will become clear.

If you're asking about how to make them potions, I don't have the answer. I'm pretty sure FH or the FH Grimioure covers that, but I've never been big on pointing potions out, so I've never worried about the mechanics of how to build them.

Im trying to duplicate a Fantasy Trip (TFT) potion called Berserker, which comes from the berserker mushroom. This gives the drinker +1 combat, and allows the drinker to take no penalties from combat (stun for instance), for 12 hours. If the hp of the character reaches zero before the end of 12 hours, he dies.

In shorthand (because HD just crashed on me):

Compound Power: Potion of Bear-Zear-KAR!

Phys. Damage Red. 75%, Stun Only -1/2, Focus (Fragile), Charges (1 NR, 12 hours), Side Effect: Death at 0 BODY (Extreme, Always Occurs); PLUS, +1 to All Combat (8 point CSL), Focus (Fragile), Charges (1 NR, 12 hours).

If you want, you can also add NRG Damage Red 75%, STUN Only, etc. & so forth.

The other potion is called Pyrotic Ability which lets you start 1 hex fires that persist for 12 turns each. After taking the potion you can start making fires for 12 hours' date=' we can call it 6 hours for the sake of continuing charges. EB lets me start fires. It costs the user STR points in TFT, Endurance to start each fire. So I did Ranged, area effect, persistant, but some how I got sucked into doing a damage shield using HD. I don't remember why... I think its because once the continuing charges are set they take no extra end.[/quote']

Well, that's correct; Charges replace END automatically. Lessee here; try it as RKA 1d6, AOE 1 Hex, Uncontrolled (+1/2, User must expend appropriate amount of END to maintain fire for X time, User must always use X amount of END with each use of ability), Continuing Charge 12 hours (bought as 6 hours), Costs END (-1/2; Each use of the power still requires the caster use END to start a single fire)

That... should do it.

the last one is magic fist which does d6-2 damage for 1 STR point' date=' or 'X' end points. You can do stack the spell buy pumping more END into it. How do I do this?[/quote']

Well, if you're just adding STR you can use Aid for that; I believe that Aid says specifically that it caps the total Aid you can receive, but that rule applies to some, not all adjustment powers. Someone with access to their book will come along and correct me. But Aid is the best way to do this (Aid STR Xd6, Costs END, Delayed Return Time, etc. & so forth).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I tried doing this with the 60 point automaton ability takes no stun, and combining it with +1 HTH melee 5 point level. But it doesn't look right. Suggestion?

-- -- -- -- -- -- --

The other potion is called Pyrotic Ability which lets you start 1 hex fires that persist for 12 turns each. After taking the potion you can start making fires for 12 hours, we can call it 6 hours for the sake of continuing charges. EB lets me start fires. It costs the user STR points in TFT, Endurance to start each fire. So I did Ranged, area effect, persistant, but some how I got sucked into doing a damage shield using HD. I don't remember why... I think its because once the continuing charges are set they take no extra end.

------

the last one is magic fist which does d6-2 damage for 1 STR point, or 'X' end points. You can do stack the spell buy pumping more END into it. How do I do this?

I suspect you are over thinking the problem.

Berserk - Grants 1 overall combat level (8 point combat skill level), uncontrolled - lasts 12 hours (or use a continuing charge), Unless you are using optional combat rules there are no combat penalties for loosing stun or body aside from being con stunned and being knocked out. I just wrote out an exceeding complicated solution and then realised all you need is 20 points of PD and 20 ED that stops stun only. You can raise the amount of PD and ED if need be to avoid taking stun. The user will still take 1 stun for every point of body that gets past his armor, but that probably can't con stun or knock out a normal character. If that appears to be an issue you can adopt parts of the complicated version - which is:

the second ability is aid constitution maybe 10 dice total - uses standard effect which means 10 dice = 10 x 3 = 30 points which equals 15 points of con (because 1 con = 2 points). Delayed return rate so that it lasts at least 12 hours. limitation - does not add to figured characteristics, only to avoid being con stunned, uncontrolled fades instantly after 12 hours (usually adjustment powers fade in 5 point increments). And 4d6 aid stun (which is healing) which is triggered by any damage that would otherwise reduce the character's stun to 0 or less reduced endurance to 0 endurance, lingering (see fantasy hero) that lasts 12 hours.

If you want you can have the user die if Body drops to 0 but that might be overly lethal.

I'd use ranged killing attack (RKA) for the fires. 12 turns in TFT should probably be 12 segments in hero (1 turn). Damage shield, with range, and 1 hex area effect, continuous, uncontrolled - need to feed in enough endurance to last 1 turn (character's speed (spd) x the endurance cost for one phase) to start a fire, lingering (see fantasy hero) for however long the potion lasts (12 hours or whatever). You don't need to make them persistent. The damage shield means that anything entering or staying in the hex takes damage.

For the magic fist, as I recall that was a ranged telekinetic fist - so energy blast vs physical. If you want it to cost more endurance for each step of larger of the blast you can buy it as 4d6 eb, normal endurance, +2d6 eb at 2x endurance, +2d6 at 4x endurance, +2d6 at 8x endurance. Then the caster uses only as many dice as they want to pay endurance for... 4d6 costs 2 end, 6d6 costs 4 end, 8d6 costs 8 endurance, 10d6 costs 16 endurance. You can of course vary how many dice and how much increased endurance you put on each increment. I wouldn't worry about the d6-2 for each die of effect as that was a balance issue in the The Fantasy Trip (assuming that's what TFT is) system. Of course it's been a few years - by which I mean many years, since I've looked at those books...