Repackaging Character Disadvantages

SSgt Baloo

Re: Repackaging Character Disadvantages

Advantages, for one thing, are a Power Construct.

Yeah, that was more of a rhetorical question…ah rhetoric…doesn’t anyone here remember rhetoric?

I’m still of the KISS school of design (keep it simple, stupid), that was all I was saying. So re-naming concepts like disads is just going to compicate future editions, etc.

Besides, I’ve yet to meet a player who’s really into role playing (as opposed to just smashing villains) who isn’t really really exited by a good juicy disad. And they like them being ‘disads’. It makes them…special.

For instance, the angst-monkey player whose family was wiped out by DEMON…and takes a 20 point ‘hunts DEMON’ disad.

Or the humorous: I’m a test pilot for a new flying suit, but I am afraid of heights!

Or the tragic: I’m an electric girl, and by gosh, I’m going to take double body from metallic attacks.

Kindly GM: you realize that knives and bullets are metal?

“Yes, I do, and I want it anyway!”

Most players LIKE disads, as long as they know they will garnish them lots of role playing time.

I think the original question was about not calling them disads, per se, but I think we've actually gotten away from the question at this point.

Hunted: Teleios? Holy sh*t' date=' the kinds of crap he could do as a Hunted? I'll take the extra STUN and BODY damage, thank you! :)[/quote']

Now, that brings to memory a "discussion" that happened between two of my players when one wanted to get the "Coal into Diamonds" power from TUB.

The "other" player was concerned that DeBeers would have "issues" with the character creating diamonds like this. This prompted the brick (Major Force) to buy "Hunted: DeBeers"... that scared some of the players... just think of what a hunter with unlimited funds could through at you....

Moo-ha-ha-ha! :eek:

Now, that brings to memory a "discussion" that happened between two of my players when one wanted to get the "Coal into Diamonds" power from TUB.

The "other" player was concerned that DeBeers would have "issues" with the character creating diamonds like this. This prompted the brick (Major Force) to buy "Hunted: DeBeers"... that scared some of the players... just think of what a hunter with unlimited funds could through at you....

Moo-ha-ha-ha! :eek:

Very hard rocks in the case of De Beers.

Which is why it should be discussed between player and GM up front.

Absolutely. I like to tell players up front what I think their disad means, based on the frequency and severity they have assigned it. Those discussions can stave off a lot of problems which would otherwise have developed laer.

I like the idea of calling them "Characterization Points" (HERO would use the American spelling as opposed to the British "Characterisation") or perhaps "Character Definition Points" (which avoids the spelling issue). Although, it does present an issue of what would replace "Disadvantage" (for example, in "What Disadvantage best represents this?")? I suppose you could call it a "Character Definition Point", as in "Enraged is a Character Definition Point" but that results in adding a second meaning to "point" which is confusing. Maybe "Character Complications"?

One advantage of renaming "Disadvantages" is that it removes the illogic of a "Disadvantage" not being the opposite of an "Advantage".

Names are important - they lead the thinking of the people reading them.

Characterisation points, in my head, were the points that were gained from adding character to your PC through things like reputation or psych lims that you could use to purchase more powers/skills/characteristics.

I see that there could be a second meaning. I wouldn't worry about the spellings - I'll stick to mine you stick to yours, just like armour etc. :-) You could replace disadvantage with characterisation - no need to talk about points.

I like the Character Definition too - that is absolutely what it is all about.

Doc

• 2 weeks later...

Very hard rocks in the case of De Beers.

Funny...

We were thinking along the lines that they could afford to hire any mercenary/villain they wanted to.... in the discussion, Mechassassin, Utility, The Warlord, among others, all came up.

I was thinking, as well, of villains that were more subtle... like perhaps Mirage, or any of the various shapeshifters, etc... collect info... strike when most inconvenient to the hero