Supergenius...

Enforcer84

Re: Supergenius...

Because Physics is the umbrella all of the Physics (Astro' date=' Particle, Nuclear, Superstring, Mechanics, Quantum Mechanics, etc.) are gathered under. It's the broad topic, but it can be deeply known, and in doing so, as the roll of the broad category rises, so too do the rolls possible in the narrow categories usable at some nominal penalty.[/quote']

Most of what you say I generally agree with; Newton, Fermi, Einstein, Physics 14-, okay. Newton's 14- is NOT going to be the same as Einstein's, by your theory, though. Nevertheless, yes, they all need to know their physics, and physics is the umbrella of all of the other specialties.

However, I disagree that the skill 'General Physics' necessarily covers more than the high-school textbook. If you have 'General Physics 14-', then you have the equations memorized, don't need to look them up, use them regularly. It means that you're a professional, even expert, on that particular topic -- in this case, General Physics. You don't need a book, to know or even to teach, because you have it all inside your head.

But here's the real difference between us: you've decided that 'a nominal penalty' is the difference between the general knowledge skill of Physics and the specialized knowledge of Superstring theory. All the games I've played, been involved in, or talked to the GMs about have had a different view -- that if you want to know something very refined (Superstring Physics), you're going to take a huge penalty if you want to use your general skill (General Physics) for it.

You think that the difference is a nominal penalty on a good General Skill ability (e.g. 14-). I think the difference is a major penalty no matter how good the General Skill roll is; a 10-point penalty is an appropriate difficulty if you're trying to get to Superstring Physics via General Physics. A 15- or 20-point penalty is appropriate if you're shooting for 'Superstring Engineering' by way of General Physics -- because even if you had the specialized knowledge of Superstring Physics, you'd still be looking at a -10 penalty.

I use 'General Physics' as the broad skill that you can know well, but to know one narrow portion of it deeply -- again, quoting 'Superstring Physics' as the example -- you need that specialized, narrow skill, or a truly tremendous (28-) knowledge in that overarching skill. You're applying the broad skill as 'knowing the entire body', with a small penalty if the character wants to remember something from a refined section.

Your mileage clearly varies from mine. *shrugs* :) Enjoy.

Or you take a totally different approach. Have the character only recently come into his geniousity (What? It's a word now!) and spend relatively few skill points on skills and leave a dozen or two points unspent. Then as the need comes up the character can quickly "cram" skills on an as needed basis. Thus creating the effect of knowing all while not actually having to pay the points up front.

Requires GM permission of course, but I'd allow it.

Then you can get to the creation of a powerset that shows superintelligence.

EXAMPLES:

Missile Deflection - Full and DCV levels "I knew you were going to try that!"

Retrocognition requires Deduction skill roll and clues "Aha! Look at this footprint!"

Telepathy requires a Conversation skill roll and extra time "I know from your reaction that..."

Mental Defense - I think you'll find I'm difficult to read

Find Weakness - Ah, I think you'll find that this spot is the nerve cluster

.. All the games I've played' date=' been involved in, or talked to the GMs about have had a different view -- that if you want to know something very refined (Superstring Physics), you're going to take a huge penalty if you want to use your general skill (General Physics) for it.[/quote']

I can agree with that, on a GM-by-GM, campaign-by-campaign basis.

If the campaign is a Girl Genius, wild science setting, I'd tend more toward the model I set out, or even the 20-pt Universal Scientist, in a world where there are far more sciences than fit into the conventional 'big five' umbrella.

If the campaign is grimly realistic, or the sciences fit into some schema that meaningfully is woven into the story by the GM, I'm quite happy with the penalties for going from the general to the particular being more severe, and the rewards for committing points to narrower sciences greater.

Physics, in other words, is jello. :)