Block vs Dodge

Kdansky

Re: Block vs Dodge

There's still Dive for cover (or Flying Dodge) in these cases.

Yep, DFC is potentially better than Dodge or Block when used vs. a single HTH attack. However, the hangover on the next phase can be a killer. :D

Flying Dodge is a subject unto itself on many other threads.

My take is that it costs about the same as a 'ultra' multipower slot of Desolidification for a Speedster and is about as useful. This is supported by the fact that the only martial art in UMA that actually has it as a maneuver is specifically for speedsters.

Also, see this old thread:

Alternate defensive maneuver names free of implied sfx

Dodge also gives you the ability to use any applicable OCV only levels to reduce your chance of being hit.

Unless I'm misunderstanding something, 'OCV only' levels can only be used with your OCV. I do not see how these levels can be used when dodging. I could see it with a Block though...

:confused:

Unless I'm misunderstanding something, 'OCV only' levels can only be used with your OCV. I do not see how these levels can be used when dodging. I could see it with a Block though...

:confused:

Yeah, that was an error that someone already pointed out. I just never went back and fixed the original post. I had intended to point out that one advantage that Block has over Dodge is that OCV only levels can be used with Block to increase your chances of not getting hit.

Arg...maybe I should go back to that post and change it. People seem to be missing the several corrections that have been made in subsequent posts. I just in general don't like changing posts after people have quoted them.

Yeah, I just deleted my post, because I hit your clairification.

Yeah' date=' I just deleted my post, because I hit your clairification.[/quote']

Oh not really a clarification as my original post was pretty much the direct opposite of what I was trying to say. More of a correction. :)

And if I hadn't just responded to someone else asking the same basic thing I probably would've been more relaxed in my response. Sorry 'bout that...:o

I find Block most useful when I can generate an equal of better OCV than my opponent has with their attack. In addition to me having a better than 50% chance to flat out Block the attack, they also have to succed on their attack roll. Since the attacker needs a "positive" (from their perspective) result on both rolls, that can improve my chances a lot, if I can get the first roll in my favor. Thankfully, Block does not come with a DCV Penalty.

Oh not really a clarification as my original post was pretty much the direct opposite of what I was trying to say. More of a correction. :)

And if I hadn't just responded to someone else asking the same basic thing I probably would've been more relaxed in my response. Sorry 'bout that...:o

In this there is nothing but peace between us.

Well, it should be kinda obvious that if your character has way more DCV than OCV (or the other way round) that either dodge or block is superior. If that wasn't the case, one of the two would be a lot worse. The interesting question is: How much more do you need to make one better than the other? Seems to be in the area of 2 points.

Well' date=' it should be kinda obvious that if your character has way more DCV than OCV (or the other way round) that either dodge or block is superior. If that wasn't the case, one of the two would be a lot worse. The interesting question is: How much more do you need to make one better than the other? Seems to be in the area of 2 points.[/quote']

The question isn't do you have more OCV than DCV. The question is how do your OCV and DCV relate to his OCV. Assuming that the attacker's OCV is equal to your OCV and DCV before manuevers than a normal Dodge or a nomal Block create equal probabilities with Dodge about 2 percentage points worse. A Martial Block which provides both OCV and DCV bonuses is 3 percentage points better than a Martial Dodge, assuming that your OCV and DCV are equal to the attackers DCV before the manuever.

Now lets assume that the attacker is at a -2 OCV deficit in relation to your OCV and DCV before manuevers. Normal Block and Normal Dodge now compare like their Martial Versions. The Martial versions are back to being almost the same, but then the probablilities are already very small.

Lets go the other way, and assume the attacker has a +2 excess in relation to your OCV and DCV. This time around the Martial versions compare like the Normal versions of the first example. The normal versions have Block about 2 percentage points better.

So mathematically, Block is somewhat better than Dodge at the unmodified level. Dodge needs an additional +1 over Block to be better.