Capacitor style power

MarkusDark

I am trying to come up with a character that basically stores up energy from other attacks and then can release it back out. But if no energy comes in, he can't use the power.

So, I came up with the following scenario but I think someone else might have a better idea:

Have a 50 point EB that uses an End Reserve.

Have that End reserve have a recovery rate of 0

Use Absorption to End battery.

Absorbed damage translates into End that cannot be recovered. That way, the character can only dish out what he takes.

I am trying to find another way as paying 50 points for an EB that I have to wait to use until some other guy pummels me doesn't seem right...

Re: Capacitor style power

I am trying to come up with a character that basically stores up energy from other attacks and then can release it back out. But if no energy comes in, he can't use the power.

So, I came up with the following scenario but I think someone else might have a better idea:

Absorbed damage translates into End that cannot be recovered. That way, the character can only dish out what he takes.

I am trying to find another way as paying 50 points for an EB that I have to wait to use until some other guy pummels me doesn't seem right...

I'm 99.9% certain that's how Michael Surbrook did a "Rage Meter" for Ninja HERO, which is one of the ways you can also do a Limit Breaker from Final Fantasy VII. However, if you IM Susano, he would likely tell you precisely how he did it. Beyond that, I would still suggest purchasing Ninja HERO, but that was one of the most useful items in that text.

10d6 EB (50 AP)

LIMITATION: Can only be used after being hit by an appropriate energy attack (you can use as many dice as DCs of damage that have hit you). Incoming attack must be at least 8D6 to count -1

25 points Real

It is a limtiation :)

The way I figured it out at -1 was that extra time (1 phase) is -1/2, and you can't use it immediately (not, that is, until you've been hit) and you are going to have to be taking damage to charge up.

Love END Reserve, but you shouldn't have to pay for concept on what is actually a limitation.

Does the character always fire a single type of energy or does it depend on what he gets hit with? Can he store a charge for long periods of time or must he release it right away?

Depending on your answers, this could just be the SFX for Missile Deflection, with an appropriate limitation that it only works against Energy attacks.

There are a lot of ways to do something like this, some more book legal than others, and some more balanced than others (and thats not always the same thing). It all depends on what you are going for. Here's a few similar character concepts:

Capacitar

Kuzushi

Rebound

Speedball

I also defined a new framework concept that can be used for this sort of thing, called a Threshold Framework:

Threshold Framework

and here's a sample character:

Rayge

Have to go with Sean on that, though the amount of Limitation would depend on what he can use. Not only should you not have to pay for the privilege of needing to get hit, but honestly I think that any Power that is fueled by a crippled END Battery should get Limitations itself.

He might also have to find other things to do when his enemies start realizing that not hitting him leaves him helpless.

Sean's build is probably what you want.

The build you presented places the Limit on the Endurance the EB uses, not the EB.

Well, technically he's using the END Reserve like the old-style END Battery, limiting how often it can be used, so it does do what he wants. Still paying for a Limitation, however.

Well' date=' technically he's using the END Reserve like the old-style END Battery, limiting how often it can be used, so it does do what he wants. Still paying for a Limitation, however.[/quote']

By the description he's paying for a Limitation.

By the build the OP presented, he's paying points to "Not be able to fire the EB when I have no Endurance" - which is the same boat EVERYONE is in.

The OP Build places the Limitation on the Recovery of Endurance, not on the Blast. Which is, by description, not the desired result.

Which is why we reason from effect :)

A character called Backlash in the RCU has this kind of power, at a potentially disturbing level. http://www.rcuhero.net/hsheets/backlash

I only made the "Attack cannot exceed largest attack that has hit Backlash" a -1/4 limitation though.

I also made the attack be at 2xEND (so there's a rough correlation 12d6 EB needs 12 END).

I also allowed for special powers to be placed in an elemental control because they really do represent one ability.

By the description he's paying for a Limitation.

By the build the OP presented, he's paying points to "Not be able to fire the EB when I have no Endurance" - which is the same boat EVERYONE is in.

The OP Build places the Limitation on the Recovery of Endurance, not on the Blast. Which is, by description, not the desired result.

Which is why we reason from effect :)

Hey, preaching to the converted, all I'm saying that the way he describes it does the job. Under the common misperception of a certain rule, it's even the right way to do it, since it's the most expensive (that was a joke, don't anyone even hijack the thread because of it).