Knockback on a speedster

mvoncannon

Scenario: Speedster takes Flight 25" only while in contact of with a surface. Speedster gets hit.

How many dice are rolled for knockback defense? They are using the power of flight which subtracts a die from the KB defense. So if it is a normal attack, that would be a 2d6 KB defense. Since the power of flight is being used it is decreased 1d6, making it 1d6 for KB defense roll. Is this correct?

Re: Knockback on a speedster

The Ultimate Speedster would back up that ruling.

But I will note that you roll that one less die not because the target is using flight but because they are "in the air". You would similarly roll one less die if they were Gliding, Swinging, Leaping or Falling.

Of course, if you are In Contact With A Surface can you really be considered to be in the air?

The Ultimate Speedster would back up that ruling.

But I will note that you roll that one less die not because the target is using flight but because they are "in the air". You would similarly roll one less die if they were Gliding, Swinging, Leaping or Falling.

Of course, if you are In Contact With A Surface can you really be considered to be in the air?

No. Not really. However, I go with the ruling that the idea that an out of control speedster who gets hit goes careening further makes sense to me.

Question to that: Why would one take Flight Only In Contact With Surface instead of Running? To run up walls? I'd use clinging for that' date=' seems way more approapiate.[/quote']

Using Flight this way, before there were the sophisticated and elegant array of advantages available today, was a good standard way to allow someone to move on all surfaces: water, powerlines, wires, kitestrings..

Which Running+Clinging just couldn't do.

Ah, turn mode, that's what I forgot. Sell Running, buy 3" Knockback resistance, and you are fine :) But you still got a turn mode, which can only be removed by taking an advantaged flight, making flight more expensive.

Would you guys allow "Flight, Always On"?

How does that work? Can you not land? I don't understand the sfx.

You know what happens when you turn Flight on? Well, that, but all the time. :D

Seriously, though... yeah, you can't land (you CAN touch the ground, of course... but you're always in flight). Think of a balloon filled with mostly air, some helium, so that it has neutral bouyancy in air. It also has little paddles it can move around to move through the air.

Or imagine a Powered Suit that has a device that turns off gravity in a small field around it, in addition to rocket boosters. The gravity device is broken, and won't shut off.

I'm also trying to find the disadvantage to it? Other than knockback' date=' what are you getting the points of that limitation for?[/quote']

Well, for starters, the knockback. There's also the "visible to three senses" thing going on all the time. You can't actually land and walk, although you could fly low, even while moving your legs as if you were walking (well, mebbe... depends on SFX), but in any case it'd be practically impossible to pass a normal person. Also, not being able to run, you'd always be subject to turn mode.

But really, between the Knockback and the Visibility, I think you've got the limitation all covered.

Ah, turn mode, that's what I forgot. Sell Running, buy 3" Knockback resistance, and you are fine :) But you still got a turn mode, which can only be removed by taking an advantaged flight, making flight more expensive.

Would you guys allow "Flight, Always On"?

I would need a clear description on what the player was trying to accomplish with the power and if "Flight, Always On" was the best way to do that, I would consider it. It's never a good idea for a GM to give a general answer to questions like this because it can come back to bite them.

I disagree. When using Flight, you can hover w/o using any actions (or as an action that takes no time? Or zero phase action?), and you can't turn Flight off to do that (or else you'd plummet). Always On does not define how you must use your power, only that you must. You don't even have to use it at full power.

Well, first the player would need 0 END and Persistent to get Always On.

He would suffer more KB, which can be offset with Knockback Resistance.

He giving up combat maneuverability, assuming he didn't also buy No Turn Mode or Movement levels.

He can't swim unless he buys Usable Underwater/Usable As Swimming.

Getting Knocked out could be potentially lethal, depending on how he drifts around while unconscious.

Of course, he can sell back Leaping, Swimming and Running... so that's at least 14 points back, more if he has a high STR...