Change the focus from KO to Killing

Opal

Re: Change the focus from KO to Killing

I thought that the dropping STUN takes away an element of the game. You didn't say make KO impossible though.
It does, and I didn't, but I did say "anythings on the table."

What you could do is rule that STUN = BODY damage for killing attacks. You would then have to expand the club weapon manouevre to allow the STUN multiplier to be increased.
Of course. That'd make killing the main effect of most weapons, but it would be possible, just difficult, to use them to subdue.

You might also want to make armour take a beating so that it becomes less effective during the fight, broken bits and slipped buckles all lead to attacks getting through more often.
That would work, but I'm afraid it would just encourage more non-normal-armor defenses, which can be pretty cheap.

Unless there are ideas other than my Force-Wall one, above, for an elegant way to make resistant defense more costly.

Anyone?

Fantasy hero discusses this particular issue. Some suggestions from it:

Remove STUN damage.

Treat a result of stunned as dead.

Simply apply a required number of hits to kill an enemy rather than exact BODY and STUN. Ie one hit wonders.

Treat any attack that does more than half a foe's BODY in one hit as an instant kill.

Introduce critical hits. (If a character hits someone with a roll of less than half what he needed to hit, the attack does max damage. Ie if they need to roll an 11- and they roll a 5, maximum damage.)

That would work' date=' but I'm afraid it would just encourage more non-normal-armor defenses, which can be pretty cheap. [/quote']

Well, make a more vicious DEX penalty/END cost for layered defences. If the CV penalties are harsh enough there will be a severe disadvantage to putting on more than the minimum armour necessary.

Doc

Here is an easy methed for getting rid of the stun lotto. Roll an extra die for each die of killing damage, the killing dice acts as both bod and stun, the extra dice acts as stun only. So for examle with a 2d6k you would have 4d6 to roll, 2d6 are added for total bod, and all four for total stun. If you have a + or - stun multible, just add or subtract the total number of dice from the stun, in the example above + ro - 4.

Here's my solution: don't change anything.

So you've whacked on someone with your sword until he passed out from shock and pain. Good so far. You somehow assume that because he's not dead right now, he's going to get up and come after you as soon as your back is turned.

Stop and think about that for a minute.

This guy is lying on the ground unconscious, in shock, and bleeding severely from multiple wounds. Without prompt medical attention, he's going to die right there, even without your help.

If you really want to change something, just bring in the optional bleeding rules that have a character start losing BODY from wounds even before they pass 0 BODY.

Yeah, in my game, the problem has always been keeping people alive, not making them dead. What I do is:

1. In-game restrictions. Doesn't matter how important you think you are, there are many places you cannot go wearing armour or weapon larger than a small knife for peeling fruit. Sometimes tho' you can take your sword. That applies to the bad guys too. If all the actors in a fight are wearing clothes and doing 1-4d6 HKA, it's gonna get messy.

2. Allow fairly free character build. I don't allow deadly blow (see #3) but if Murata the enigmatic has 18 STR, a few combat levels, martial arts and a naginata, he should be able to dish out 4d6 HKA. Even with plate armour, that's gonna hurt.

3. Free stuff and points don't stack. That's why deadly blow is out, but it's virtually the only case of allowing an attack to stack with free gear. Outlawing stacking (as part of the "real equipment" limitation) means in fantasy setting you no longer have to deal with DEF much above 8 except in the case of relatively potent magic: DEF is cheap, but it still cuts into whatever else the mage can do. Often DEF more likely averages 3-6. Even a 2d6 HKA becomes relatively lethal in that context.

4. People don't magically stop bleeding when the spotlight moves off them. Anyone below 0 BOD will likely die in a minute or two unless they have a healer handy. This becomes even more crucial if magical healing is rare.

5. Hit locations. Nuff' said.

cheers, Mark