How do others deal with Multiform?

Tungsten Shephard

My son wants to make a character called Spirit of Freedom. I applaud his name chosen however this character wants to be able to Multiform into a Grizzly Bear, Wolf, and Bald Eagle. So my question is how do you as GM's or players set point values for Multiform abilities. I've not had to deal with this issue for years outside of the villain aspect, so I appreciate some insights into problems that might arise.

My basic requirements for character creations for my games are.

Characteristics 125 max

Skills 50 points minimum required

Primary Powers up to 100 points (this would be for his multiform)

Secondary Powers up to 75 (Martial Arts Talents extra skills, extra powers, etc.)

Disadvantages 150

This equals 200+150 standard supers.

How do you as GM's handle disadvantages for Multiform or disadvantages within the forms itself?

What maximums if any do you require for your players using Multiform?

Re: How do others deal with Multiform?

None of those forms are going to be particularly troublesome. Crack open the Bestiary, write up variations on each of the three animals (with, presumably, his normal INT, psych lims, and so forth). All the multiforms should be well within your guidelines, as should the character himself. In fact, you might want to beef the bear up enough to be seriuos super-level combat form. In FRED, the main form pays for the multiform, and the forms don't, the forms don't get disads that don't aply to them, and the base form doesn't get disads that only aply in the alternate forms. Alternate forms can be more points than the base, though that really shouldn't be an issue in this case.

Personally, I prefer to have every form bear the multiform cost, and conform to the campaign guidelines. I know that makes multiform characters a little weak, points wise, but if the forms are genuinely very different, it's well worth it.

Often forms aren't really that different, and multiform is just an unneeded complication.

In fact, that's the kind of thing that could be done pre-multiform: Multipower with Growth (turns into a bear), flight (turns into an eagle), and enhanced senses (turns into a wolf). Of course, pre-multiform was also pre-any-limitations-on-what-could-go-in-a-multipower. :rolleyes:

The only change I make to the rules on multiform is to re-instate the 4th ed restriction on having the multiform be more powerful than the true form.

In your case: 70 pts buys 350 point mutiform, +3 forms for 10 points.

I recomend making all forms the same SPD to save on speed change hassles.

Just make each form 350 points total or less, and there should be no problems. Because the forms are so simple, Shapeshifting with powers "Only in Bear Form" (-1, basically the same as Linked plus Lockout) might be the way to go; this also avoids the "recursive point fiddling" problem that comes when you price the Multiform, then determine what the original form's skills, characteristics, etc are. If you do Multiform and you want SPD, INT, and the like to match (BODY is another good one), you'll have to build the base form last.

You could also take Shapeshifting, then build a Multipower Linked to Shapeshifting, with each slot be a summary of powers and characteristic changes.

Finally, you could build the whole thing as an Elemental Control, Animal Shape Powers, buy each form as one slot with several linked powers, then apply Lockout to each slot along with Side Effects (Minor, always occurs, transforms into animal form).

I would probably use the EC method myself. Elemental Controls "I have the powers of spirit animals" works well conceptually, has less problems with differences in AP totals than Multiform, and is simpler than Multiform.