Wound that won't heal

McCoy

In fantasy, sometimes characters take wounds that never fully heal (Froto had three). While less common in superheroics, I have a villian constructing a magic knife that will make a wound the Wolverine clone will not be able to shrug off overnight.

I'm thinking of penetraiting HKA, linked to a very long continuing charge of supress aid.

Any ideas?

Thanking everyone in advance for their input.

Well, the obvious one's up twice.

How about additional KA with a gradual effect timed to reduce/eliminate recovery (and limit damage to amounts healed/recovered)?

How about [CHEESE ALERT!!] Uncontrolled Continuous no END KA that only offsets healing (natural or by powers)?

Maybe a Transform to permanently reduce stat points?

The definition of the heal for the Transform would be a little iffy though...what removes it? I think Transform healing is done at the normal BODY healing rate. The question is, does Aid/Heal actually affect this "Transform Damage" unless specifically bought to?

For a permanent BODY injury, the Transform could work merely by changing his actual BODY total to something else. So could a drain with an extended recovery time, and a custom transform advantage of (+1/2) cannot be healed by aid? (relating to the Armor Piercing advantage cost). I hate custom advantages.

A linked tranform is better used for adding a limitation like "Lame" or "One Eye", and I think the reversion from the transform could be defined as "after undergoing mere mortal healing time" or some variant thereof. The GM can dictate that the Aid/Regen does not apply to Transform BODY without a special (+1/4 ?) power advantage...getting into the Piercing/Hardened point burning for your gamers.

Perhaps a better method might be to use a broader interpretation of Difficult to Dispel? Each level kicks the "Regeneration" power one level down on the recovery chart for the injury purpose?

Of course...the book legal way is to use the uncontrolled continuos monster...or maybe by linking an additional Drain to the BODY Drain? "2d6 Regeneration Drain (+1/4 advantage, related SFX), limitation (-2, only for wounds from this weapon/device/power construct). Aids will still effect it, but HIS healing ability will not.

The Suppress would have to be somehow "installed" on the character to affect anyone using Aid abilities on him. A huge and cumbersome UOO advantage.

There. I'm all out of strange ideas, and I'm talking to myself anyway. :)

Guest Keneton

This power is made possible by the new trigger rules found in DH #11 and perfectly fits your request.

Cost Power END
40 Wound That Never Heals: Drain Body 1d6, Standard Effect (1 Body) (+0), Trigger (+1/4), Trigger takes no time to activate (+1/4), Difficult To Dispel (x4 Active Points) (+1/2), Reduced Endurance 0 END (+1/2), Trigger automatically Resets (+1/2), Invisible Power Effects (Fully Invisible; +1), Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per Month) (+2) (60 Active Points); Requires an original wound to activate. (-1/2) [Notes: Triggered when 1 body healed.]
Powers Cost: 40

Originally posted by archer

Drain REC, Only Vs. Body Recovery. Buy recovery time up to per month or more.

Doesn't work, I can still heal the Body with a Power, such as Wolverine's Regeneration.

I might take Keneton's Wound That Never Heals Power, with a couple of modifications:

Make it Uncontrolled, Continuous, 0 END. It is removed when the character has healed naturally, perhaps, or some other more mystic means.

Make it NND: The defense is not having the wound caused by the blade.

Guest Keneton
Originally posted by GamePhil

I might take Keneton's Wound That Never Heals Power, with a couple of modifications:

Make it Uncontrolled, Continuous, 0 END. It is removed when the character has healed naturally, perhaps, or some other more mystic means.

Make it NND: The defense is not having the wound caused by the blade.

The new trigger rules already make it uncontrolled and continuos, this is unneccesaary. As for NND, applying this to a drain seems counterproductive and will cost way too much. That is a +1 advantage and possibly +2 by defenition as the NND Drain does do body.

I just place a limitation on the drain to reflect the initial wound. Power defense would in fact suppress the power but not renove the curse.

"I can stop the mummy rot from spreading but I cannot remove its effects on the body. You will need the services of the high priest!":D

Originally posted by Keneton

The new trigger rules already make it uncontrolled and continuos, this is unneccesaary.

Yes, but the rules you mention are from DH#11, and therefore have two flaws: They are technically unofficial and may not be in use, and the original poster may not have access to them due to not having the book. So I tried to make a suggestion for modifying it if either of those were the case.

As for NND, applying this to a drain seems counterproductive and will cost way too much. That is a +1 advantage and possibly +2 by defenition as the NND Drain does do body.

I actually tend to agree with that assessment, but depending on other factors in a given campaign I might require the NND. For instance, *if* defense could somehow be provided to the character after the fact, and *if* I didn't want that to help with the wound, NND would become necessary.

Most of the time, it wouldn't be necessary, I agree.

Guest Keneton
Originally posted by GamePhil

Yes, but the rules you mention are from DH#11, and therefore have two flaws: They are technically unofficial and may not be in use, and the original poster may not have access to them due to not having the book. So I tried to make a suggestion for modifying it if either of those were the case.

Steve Long wrote these rules and I am rather certain that Heroglyphs (although not core) are in fact official. I agree that uncontrolled and continuos could represent another means of constructiong the power using FRED only. I also appreciate your grasp of the game:) .

Some spells, curses and the like are huge in terms of active points and hence daunting to newer GM's. A simple plot device is acceptable in these cases. You are the GM, just say it works that way.

:cool:

Frodo's wound was probably just a RKA in a world where the SFX to heal that RKA were rare to non-existent. In a more varied world, I'd suggest the aforementioned Drain plus Power Defense, UAA, only to prevent Healing attempts on the Drain, not vs. "appropriate" Healing SFX.