Burglary tools for a crook in a superheroic game

Marcus Impudite

This is for a crook I'm building as a PC in a villains campaign. As superheroic character construction rules are in use here, he has to pay points for his gear. I've already outfitted him with a pistol, grappling hook, and a lockpick set, but I need to define two more items for his kit and I'm alittle stuck.

The first is the old standard: a crowbar. I'm thinking STR for Prying Only (-1) and an HA for using it as a blunt instrument (both in a small Multipower) but how much STR and how much HA would fit the bill?

The second is a set of boltcutters (for cutting off padlocks and the like). Here I'm thinking HKA (2d6?) with Gestures (uses both hands) and a limitation to reflect the fact that it can't cut things that are to thick to fit in its "jaws," but I need a reasonable value for said limitation.

Suggestions?

Re: Burglary tools for a crook in a superheroic game

This is for a crook I'm building as a PC in a villains campaign. As superheroic character construction rules are in use here, he has to pay points for his gear. I've already outfitted him with a pistol, grappling hook, and a lockpick set, but I need to define two more items for his kit and I'm alittle stuck.

The first is the old standard: a crowbar. I'm thinking STR for Prying Only (-1) and an HA for using it as a blunt instrument (both in a small Multipower) but how much STR and how much HA would fit the bill?

The second is a set of boltcutters (for cutting off padlocks and the like). Here I'm thinking HKA (2d6?) with Gestures (uses both hands) and a limitation to reflect the fact that it can't cut things that are to thick to fit in its "jaws," but I need a reasonable value for said limitation.

Suggestions?

I'd suggest skipping the multipower and just making the crowbar STR only for prying and hitting things (-1) since STR can add HtH damage anyway. I think the the prying only is at least a (-1 1/2) or maybe a (-2).

I'd guess maybe 20 STR.

The boltcutters, first of all should get the Beam limitation, I think. Beyond that, since their use in combat would be limited (torture they'd be more useful... fingers and the "location 13 dangly bits" could be threatened) I'd assign at least a -1.

I'd suggest skipping the multipower and just making the crowbar STR only for prying and hitting things (-1) since STR can add HtH damage anyway. I think the the prying only is at least a (-1 1/2) or maybe a (-2).

I'd guess maybe 20 STR.

You might want to add continuous or continuing on that to represent the fact that you can get a lot of leverage with a crowbar if you work at it for a while.

Or just give the crowbar a + to Demolition skill. Work at it enough, you can take apart anything...

The boltcutters, first of all should get the Beam limitation, I think. Beyond that, since their use in combat would be limited (torture they'd be more useful... fingers and the "location 13 dangly bits" could be threatened) I'd assign at least a -1.

At least. I'd go -2. And there's a "Two Hands" limitation you might want to use instead of gestures.

I'd guess maybe 20 STR.

Is that a 6th edition scoop? We're changing location 13 to 'dangly bits' are we? :rofl:

Suggestions?
I'd just make a VPP called "Thieving Kit." Then you could include...

Crowbar, +STR only for prying/lifting,

Bolt Cutters, HKA, only for what fits,

Slim Jim, +lockpicking, only vs. cars,

Lockpick Tools, +lock picking in general,

Police Scanner, Radio Hearing tuned to police bands,

Tools, screwdrivers, hammer, ratchet, the works,

50' of rope, a staple of crooks throughout time,

Blackjack, +xd6 HA,

etc.

No sense in limiting yourself with specific tools. Think of this as a utility belt for criminals. But maybe as a backpack, instead. :thumbup:

I'd just make a VPP called "Thieving Kit." Then you could include...

No sense in limiting yourself with specific tools. Think of this as a utility belt for criminals. But maybe as a backpack, instead. :thumbup:

Bingo. This is the best version, IMO. Repped and unabashedly stolen.

Speaking of 'toolkits', though -- Utility Belt. How come nobody has a Utility Belt MPow package for HD out there?