Which one? They're both confusing.

PieMan

Hey, I'm working on a spell for Fantasy Hero that'll let the caster put a 4PD / 4ED force field around anyone or anything he wants. But I'm not sure what modifier to use. Usable Against Others, or Usable By Others? I would really like some help on this, so that my new list of spells can finally be done. Please and Thanks!

Re: Which one? They're both confusing.

Seems to me the question revolves around whether the target will have any control over the FF once it is up - can they "open" and "close" it at will, or make it go away? In that case, sounds like "Usable By Others". If only the caster can control it, then it sounds like Usable as an Attack - though in general I'd then the target would be willing.

The anything part makes me think Force Wall instead of Force Field; would you allow someone to stick a forcefield on a wall?

He might need to buy this spell as an MP.

I would have to agree that a Force Wall is probably the better way of handling this.

So, what we really need to know, what is the effect that is trying to be simulated? That may tell us more.

On another note... Both Force Wall, and FF (UAA) will put the END burden on the caster, while FF (UBO) will put the END burden on the recipient. Just this fact will tend to make the UBO version less useful than either the UAA or FW types.

Consider using Force Wall rather than Force Field. Force Field doesn't really (necessarily) create a force field, it adds protection to the user. Force Wall creates an actual wall. If your idea is to make the target of the spell better protected, but otherwise unaffected, Force Field is the way to go. If you're thinking of blocking access, both ways, so that the target would have to break through the field in order to attack anything outside it, as well as the other way around, then you want Force Wall.

Regarding UAA vs UBO, look at it this way: UAA has the caster putting force fields (or walls) around targets, while UBO has the caster granting a power to targets, the power to put force fields (or walls) around themselves. Forcegirl uses her Force Field, UBO on Normalguy. Now Normalguy can protect himself with a Force Field as if he had the power, spending his own END to power it, and turning it on and off as desired. If Forcedude used her Force Field, UAA on Normalguy, then she spends her own END to put a force field around Normalguy. The force field is under her control, she can turn it on and off as she wants.