Need Limitation Estimates

Vondy

This is for a low fantasy setting with a "hard fantasy" take on society and culture. Powerful magic exists, but its very rare, slow, difficult, and subtle. A lot of it is based on dreams, trafficking with demons and angels, and necromancy (not animation, but communing with spirits) rather than traditional flash-bang sorcery. Fantastic creatures, plants, drugs, and weird science written off as witchcraft are more prevalent than actual magic. Its basically pulp adventure fantasy.

The character has slow regeneration that affects most everything and can replace limbs and organs, but the resurrection is much more restricted.

Basically its only resurrection vs. passive deaths. i.e. it will bring them back from poison (over time), drowning (once out of the water), suffocating (once oxegen is restored), and that sort of thing. But not from "active deaths" from weapons, electrocution, burns, dissolution in acid, or the like. The general thinking is "these things cause torporous near death rather than death."

I'm not sure where to peg the limitation. My initial thought was -1, but these sorts of deaths are much less common than active deaths and its almost a plot device sort of power, so it could go as low as -2.

Thoughts?

Re: Need Limitation Estimates

Sounds like a pretty interesting setting.

Most of the passive deaths you described are covered by Life Support. I'd buy this power as Regeneration without the Resurrection adder, and buy a limited form of LS to prevent death, but not falling into a deep coma. Maybe throw a No Conscious Control version of Simulate Death in to complete the package.

I'd say it really does depend on the game, and how often this kind of death is a real threat. For most of the games I've been involved with, "active" death is far more prevalent. However...

Don't underestimate the effect of knowing that you can survive poison and the like will have on how the character is played. Room filled with smoke or noxious gas? No problem. Enemy with poison darts? Merely a scratch!

I'd give it a -1, I think.

I'm with the Life Support crowd - it isn't really a regneration thing as it only seems to regenerate the damage from environmental type damage. I would say it is a limited form of Life Support - one that prevents death but does not allow free action...

I'd say a -1 limitation on Life Support....

If you are committed to the regeneration idea then I'd definitely pin it around the -2 level of limitation.

Doc

I'm with the Life Support crowd - it isn't really a regneration thing as it only seems to regenerate the damage from environmental type damage. I would say it is a limited form of Life Support - one that prevents death but does not allow free action...

I'd say a -1 limitation on Life Support....

If you are committed to the regeneration idea then I'd definitely pin it around the -2 level of limitation.

Doc

In general, this is one of my few peeves with hero. There's no elegant way to do this. The life support method is kind of clunky. Immunities are all or nothing and there's no time metric attached. And like many things, unless you are dealing with "combat time" as a measure you frequently get weird results. Which isn't to say it doesn't make sense to use life support, but it makes for a kludge. I have to create a limitation and attach a time factor on it. I'm leaning towards a naked resurrection adder with a narrow FX and lims, but I'm not entirely sold on it.

The character has slow regeneration...

Have you thought about adapting the mechanics of the Talent: Simulate Death to mimic this?

And possibly use some sort of CON roll to represent the healing over time?

Just A Thought

- Christopher Mullins

Have you thought about adapting the mechanics of the Talent: Simulate Death to mimic this?

And possibly use some sort of CON roll to represent the healing over time?

Just A Thought

- Christopher Mullins

Once I tweaked ressurection as a naked advantage what you suggest is pretty much what I got. I just need to rename it.

Once I tweaked ressurection as a naked advantage what you suggest is pretty much what I got. I just need to rename it.

How about Immortality?

Immortals don't die of natural causes, but can be killed. At least that is one interpretation of an Immortal.

- Christopher Mullins

How about Immortality?

Immortals don't die of natural causes, but can be killed. At least that is one interpretation of an Immortal.

- Christopher Mullins

That works. The character doesn't age, either. I can tack them together.

what about LS with the disad that he still takes stun. Poison can't kill him but does KO him.

For things that did stun that would be a really good solution - in terms of precise naming of the lim its the best I've seen (in two or three threads at this point). In this case, since it extends to sickeness [they could feasibly fall comatose, or languish for a few days before their immune system kicks an otherwise lethal disease's tail end], which has never been something hero models well, it would work for everything but that. I think, for this case, I'm going with a custom talent.