Speedster move throu/by

Fitzerific

I have a quick question regarding speedster move through/by, If I had intended to build such a speedster that specialized in that type of maneuver, would it be "street legal" to purchase a form of physical defence or damage reduction that only worked against move throughs/bys? Does a character's defences actually help to provide protection against the secondary damage inflicted by the speedster making this maneuver?

Thanks for any insight.

Re: Speedster move throu/by

I have a quick question regarding speedster move through/by, If I had intended to build such a speedster that specialized in that type of maneuver, would it be "street legal" to purchase a form of physical defence or damage reduction that only worked against move throughs/bys? Does a character's defences actually help to provide protection against the secondary damage inflicted by the speedster making this maneuver?

Thanks for any insight.

Yes; it's legal by the rules. It's actually very common for speedsters to have defenses of this type.

thanks for the help, I was thinking that a move through/by wiz would always be fun to play when added to by a substanial movement power. It would be fun to see how the heroes in my campaign figure out how to deal with a light and fluffy dynamo of many owies.

Its legal. Its also common enough that it wouldn't get much more than a distracted "uh-huh" during my audit process. Its possible such a build would get a second glance or that I might raise and objection if it were taken to an unbalancing extreme, but odds are it would pass without comment. On the other hand, as a GM, I'm wary of one-trick ponies not so much because I have to work harder to keep the character relevant, but they often prove to have a "glass jaw" or several "glass jaws" because their points are heavily concentrated in one place. That's neither legal or illegal, but I like my players to have characters who are solid as an overall build that can take some abuse - and I like character breadth because its easier to work broad characters into scenarios.

Yes, it is legal. Mechanically, its the Power Description thats the hard part.

X-Men's Cannonball was invulnerable while blastling/flying.

You could call it a friction field, a compressed air field, or even a sonic boom field that prevents the charger from being damaged.

IMOHO

QM

Are you taking Passing Strike or any other Speedster Martial Arts? Because Passing Strike does 0 damage to the user...

That said, I tend to encourage Speedster types to take enough defenses that their own Move By won't phase them. By that same token, I expect that a Move Through WILL hurt them still, since they they are doing significantly more damage.

Of course, Bricks tend to bounce the damage of a Move Through, but also tend not to have anywhere near as many inches of combat movement in my games.

Bloodstone has the right of it. I built Siphon my STR draining speedster with autofire punch and he used multiple move bys alot with the autofire. Basically run around a Brick smacking him from all sides and draining strength with each hit. Took a big bad Brick down to 30 str with one attack once. Those were good rolls.

The damage that a character takes from a Move Through/Move By is one of the restrictions on the attack. Normally, because of that I do not really focus on it as an Attack overly restricted by my effectiveness caps, if it looks like a character is going to be able to perform a Move Through with no consequences to themselves, I move it into the limited by caps category.

Another question about SPD in general

Incidentally, does allowing players and NPC's to have any level of speed (up to 12) cause any major unballancing issues? I was wondering because I allowed a number of my players to take max speed, which cost them dearly. I'm not concerned about the SPD of the NPC's because I was intending to have a proportional ammount of NPC villains to have comparable SPD values, however will those players who neglected their SPD value for offence or deffence powers and abilities fell that the higher SPD characters are stealing their thunder? Should I have imposed a SPD cap?

Re: Another question about SPD in general

Incidentally' date=' does allowing players and NPC's to have any level of speed (up to 12) cause any major unballancing issues? I was wondering because I allowed a number of my players to take max speed, which cost them dearly. I'm not concerned about the SPD of the NPC's because I was intending to have a proportional ammount of NPC villains to have comparable SPD values, however will those players who neglected their SPD value for offence or deffence powers and abilities fell that the higher SPD characters are stealing their thunder? Should I have imposed a SPD cap?[/quote']Extreme SPD differences can be very unbalancing, but not always. Other items need to be taken into account, such as attack dice, defenses, and campaign style. I've never seen a non-supers game that had SPD 12 characters, and have only once have I been in a campaign which had a SPD 12 character. He was certainly effective, but not overly powerful.

In our Champions campaign we have a SPD 4 brick and a SPD 9 martial artist and both are quite effective.

Re: Another question about SPD in general

Incidentally' date=' does allowing players and NPC's to have any level of speed (up to 12) cause any major unballancing issues? I was wondering because I allowed a number of my players to take max speed, which cost them dearly. I'm not concerned about the SPD of the NPC's because I was intending to have a proportional ammount of NPC villains to have comparable SPD values, however will those players who neglected their SPD value for offence or deffence powers and abilities fell that the higher SPD characters are stealing their thunder? Should I have imposed a SPD cap?[/quote']

I always say put on a cap depending on the type of character. A Martial Artist is going to have higher speed. A flying, Energy Projector, he/she might have high speed. A Brick....2-3 Speed (4 should be max really). Human gizmo guy, depending on his combat abilities, acrobatics, etc.....4-6. Letting the 12 foot hulk knock off have 12 speed is insane!!! Imagine if he got to go every single phase......there would be so much collateral damage from his attacks that no one else would get a turn....