Stupid EC Question

Vondy

Okay - I haven't used an EC in years. It works for this concept, though, so I'm going for it. I've forgotted whether a slot whose limitations make it cheaper than the reserve is legal. A simple reading of sidekick indicates it is, but for some reason I keep looking at it thinking its not book legal.

For instance

22 Point Reserve

Slot - Power is 44 AP. Slot Cost is 22.

Slot - Power is 45 AP. Slot Cost is 23.

Slot - Power is 82 AP, but with lims comes out to 38 RP. Slot cost is 16?

Is that last slot correct?

Re: Stupid EC Question

It's perfectly legal to have an EC slot whose Real Points come out smaller than the Real Points in the Reserve, if the slot has additional Limitations. Just remember to subtract the Active Points in the EC reserve from the AP in the slot, before you apply any Limitations to that slot to get its RP cost.

It's perfectly legal to have an EC slot whose Real Points come out smaller than the Real Points in the Reserve' date=' if the slot has additional Limitations. Just remember to subtract the [i']Active Points[/i] in the EC reserve from the AP in the slot, before you apply any Limitations to that slot to get its RP cost.

Thanks.

It's perfectly legal to have an EC slot whose Real Points come out smaller than the Real Points in the Reserve' date=' if the slot has additional Limitations. Just remember to subtract the [i']Active Points[/i] in the EC reserve from the AP in the slot, before you apply any Limitations to that slot to get its RP cost.

What LL said. But to expand (and so I won't be accused of post count padding ;)), the *Active Cost* of a Power must be at least double the slot bonus. With the EC you have there, the first slot is the power with the lowest possible Active Cost for this EC. So that last slot is perfectly legal.

What LL said. But to expand (and so I won't be accused of post count padding ;))' date=' the *Active Cost* of a Power must be at least double the slot bonus. With the EC you have there, the first slot is the power with the lowest possible Active Cost for this EC. So that last slot is perfectly legal.[/quote']

It's badly calculated, I think, though. It should be (82 - 22) / (1+Lims), not (82/(1+Lims))-22. Limitations apply to the cost of the slot. (Then again, no Limitation value will make an 82AP power into a 38RP one, unless you're using 8ths and rounding using only one decimal place, hehe.)

It's badly calculated' date=' I think, though. It should be (82 - 22) / (1+Lims), not (82/(1+Lims))-22. Limitations apply to the cost of the slot. (Then again, no Limitation value will make an 82AP power into a 38RP one, unless you're using 8ths and rounding using only one decimal place, hehe.)[/quote']

I actually hadn't done the math, but you're absolutely correct: The bonus from the EC needs to be applied to the Active Cost of the Power, not the Real Cost.

What I meant by it being "legal" was that the Active Cost in slot "c" in the OP's example was more than the minimum allowed for that particular EC.

Thanks for clearing that up. :thumbup:

It's badly calculated' date=' I think, though. It should be (82 - 22) / (1+Lims), not (82/(1+Lims))-22. Limitations apply to the cost of the slot. (Then again, no Limitation value will make an 82AP power into a 38RP one, unless you're using 8ths and rounding using only one decimal place, hehe.)[/quote']

Which was covered by Lord Laiden's post already.

What is this Post Count Padding you speak of? *glances around*

I'm not overly familiar with the EC rules myself, VDM, but did you stuff it into HDv3 to see if it worked? Or do you prefer to do your math longhand?

I don't believe in PCP.

What is this Post Count Padding you speak of? *glances around*

I'm not overly familiar with the EC rules myself, VDM, but did you stuff it into HDv3 to see if it worked? Or do you prefer to do your math longhand?

I don't have HD3. I plan on downloading it next month - all my purchases are considered and scheduled well in advance - but I tend to do the math in my head. I've been playing hero for two decades and know the system pretty well, but there are details that I need to double check. The issue was when to subtract the EC reserve (before or after). My copy of 5ER got mangled, and I didn't download sidekick until after I made the initial post.