Break Concentration

Sociotard

"Concentration" is a popular limitation. Is there a good way to force an opponent to break concentration?

I'm not sure if it's better to do this as some kind of action that anybody can do ("I slap him in the face." "Okay, he has to make an ego roll or lose concentration") or if it would be better to make a power specifically for that purpose. Say for example a bard song meant to be really annoying (change environment) or even get stuck in an opponents head for days, preventing concentration (transform, see Nodwick for the inspiration). Would transforming a person into someone who can't concentrate be Minor or Major?

Re: Break Concentration

"Concentration" is a popular limitation. Is there a good way to force an opponent to break concentration?

I'm not sure if it's better to do this as some kind of action that anybody can do ("I slap him in the face." "Okay, he has to make an ego roll or lose concentration") or if it would be better to make a power specifically for that purpose. Say for example a bard song meant to be really annoying (change environment) or even get stuck in an opponents head for days, preventing concentration (transform, see Nodwick for the inspiration). Would transforming a person into someone who can't concentrate be Minor or Major?

The concentration limitation does not really work that way - it assumes that you can always concentrate when you need to but that has certain negative consequences.

If the effect you are after is that the power requires you to devote mental energy to it and a distraction might well prevent you from doing so, and so prevent you from using the power, consider RSR (Ego roll) and allow situational modifiers - it is harder to 'concentrate' when someone is deliberately trying to distract you, but easier if it is quiet and peaceful, for example.

Rather than using transform to simulate a 'can't concentrate' effect I'd be inclined to use mind control; it would probably only need to overcome EGO. That would be a personal preference though.