[Smashup] PS238 + Eureka !!!

JakSpade

After watching the Mother's Day Eureka marathon on the Sci-Fi Channel, I've been thinking of attempting a campaign where I smash up PS238 with Eureka from the Sci-Fi channel. Basically, it's an entire secret town instead of just a school. The players play PS238 characters who's parents live in (or have been recruited to) a Eureka type town. Lots of high tech, big brains, supers, aliens... let the mayhem begin!

Do you think something like this would work?

jak

Re: [smashup] PS238 + Eureka !!!

Anyone have any good ideas? How would you run a campaign like this? Would you intermix the characters from both worlds and see how it goes from there? Or would it be more supers than big brains and high tech? Any ideas would be appreciated...

jak

Anyone have any good ideas? How would you run a campaign like this? Would you intermix the characters from both worlds and see how it goes from there? Or would it be more supers than big brains and high tech? Any ideas would be appreciated...

jak

I would just make PS238 Eurekas school. That way anything that happens in one would affect the other....

Well, is this Eureka more of a place to hide/quarantine/exile all the freaky paranormals, and the school is for their kids? Doesn't seem like superheroes as we know it (or as PS238 knows it) would even exist, if they're all stuck in one town. Sounds more like a Teen Champions/Top Ten smash-up, which has its own charm. :)

Or is Eureka still a research-oriented think tank which happens to produce a lot of inexplicable, irreproducible Science Accidents! that give a lot of the kids powers? Are you planning on including any of the supernatural characters from PS238? If so, how do the scientists take all this? And of course there's no reason to segregate the supers deep underground if all the Eurekans know about them, and it'd be hard to justify keeping the already top-secret Eurekans in the dark about this stuff.

Or are you thinking of making it less about inherited super powers, and more about the kind of trouble that super genius kids might get into?

I guess the main question is whether you're changing the reason Eureka exists and is kept secret, and how that might justify more supers.

I'd actually been working out a concept for a Eureka style game where it turns out that it's not so much a thinktank (although they appreciate what little they come up with that's appropriate for general use), but rather a way to keep all of the Mad Scientists in one place so that when they blow themselves up (or accidentally meld everyone's minds, or cause time to run backwards, or...) the damage is contained to one area, well away from major population centers. We were debating whether to make the PC's all "keepers" (like Sheriff Carter) or all mad scientists, or a mix of the two (in which case the mad scientist PCs might need to buy their really weird stuff with appropriate PsychLims).

The big conflict between the two settings is that, in Eureka, Global Dynamics and the stuff that goes on there is not a secret, and the weirdness expands to the whole town. In PS238, the school is a complete secret, to the point that Excelsior students mingle with the PS238 students and still don't know. (Also, not all of the PS238 parents live locally - that's why they have the dormitory). So either you make PS238 not a secret (or at least an open secret) or make Global Dynamics secret (and make the scientists try to blend when they're off the clock). Either one is possible.

Well, is this Eureka more of a place to hide/quarantine/exile all the freaky paranormals, and the school is for their kids? Doesn't seem like superheroes as we know it (or as PS238 knows it) would even exist, if they're all stuck in one town. Sounds more like a Teen Champions/Top Ten smash-up, which has its own charm. :)

Or is Eureka still a research-oriented think tank which happens to produce a lot of inexplicable, irreproducible Science Accidents! that give a lot of the kids powers? Are you planning on including any of the supernatural characters from PS238? If so, how do the scientists take all this? And of course there's no reason to segregate the supers deep underground if all the Eurekans know about them, and it'd be hard to justify keeping the already top-secret Eurekans in the dark about this stuff.

Or are you thinking of making it less about inherited super powers, and more about the kind of trouble that super genius kids might get into?

I guess the main question is whether you're changing the reason Eureka exists and is kept secret, and how that might justify more supers.

My vison of Eureka is that it's still a secret town, but the cater to both the high tech community as well as the supers community. Young prodigy children come to Eureka to learn how to use their powers, or their super intellects. Basically, Eureka stays secret, and PS238 becomes more public... adding a new school for young supers in training... it can all be sponsored and controlled by the government, bureaucratically, or militarily...

jak

My vison of Eureka is that it's still a secret town, but the cater to both the high tech community as well as the supers community. Young prodigy children come to Eureka to learn how to use their powers, or their super intellects. Basically, Eureka stays secret, and PS238 becomes more public... adding a new school for young supers in training... it can all be sponsored and controlled by the government, bureaucratically, or militarily...

jak

How about this. Everything you have said except that PS238 is actually in the town next door. The kids parents either live an work in Eureka but the "special" kids all stay at the dorms in PS238 at least during the week or full time if their parents don't work in Eureka. The reason is to expose them to "normal" kids in a "normal" environment so they can learn the social skill they will need in life.

This will allow most of PS238 to be used with little rework. Also most of Eureka may not even know that PS238 is what it is. It's location close to Eureka may be part of the contingency planning "just in case" when they built PS238.

How about this. Everything you have said except that PS238 is actually in the town next door. The kids parents either live an work in Eureka but the "special" kids all stay at the dorms in PS238 at least during the week or full time if their parents don't work in Eureka. The reason is to expose them to "normal" kids in a "normal" environment so they can learn the social skill they will need in life.

This will allow most of PS238 to be used with little rework. Also most of Eureka may not even know that PS238 is what it is. It's location close to Eureka may be part of the contingency planning "just in case" when they built PS238.

Yeah, I guess exposing them to normal people would be a good advantage. I don't know if I can go whole heartedly with the secret school under the real school thing... it's a good kick, but one of the first things my players would do is expose the secret... :D

jak

Yeah, I guess exposing them to normal people would be a good advantage. I don't know if I can go whole heartedly with the secret school under the real school thing... it's a good kick, but one of the first things my players would do is expose the secret... :D

jak

Yep, those players can be irritating. all that work into a great game and they want to ruin it by trying to do things :nonp:

;)